Hey guys I just got a guitar off of a friend and I was looking at changing the strings, I was just wondering which strings I should use and how often to change them? Its a 6 string(steel) acoustic.
How strong are your fingers?
How often/long do you play?
Is there a certain sound you are looking for?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
when its time for me to change my acoustics strings i use Ernie Ball earthwood strings they sound great! and i think ull like them
Gear
2009 Schecter Solo 6 DSG limited 1 of 50 in the USA
Ovation Celebrity
TC Electronic: Polytune
Digitech RP355 Multieffects Pedal
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thank you very much, Seaweed
Quote by guitarsftw
How strong are your fingers?
How often/long do you play?
Is there a certain sound you are looking for?

How would I go about gauging the strength of my fingers?
I play at least an hour a day but sometimes up to like 8 hours.
Im still a beginner so Im not really sure how to answer this question.
I play martin SPs they work best for me and have a really balanced sound. I like those a lot. Try Martin SPs custom lights, its a pretty start to see what you like.

But check out Phosphor Bronze strings, 80/20 bronze are really bright. Im not a fan.
But i would recommend trying different phosphor bronze and 80/20 out and see what suits your playing better.
Anyone else know much about Ernie Ball earthwood strings? They are 80/20 copper zinc. What gauge should I get?
Quote by TurntableMonkey
Anyone else know much about Ernie Ball earthwood strings? They are 80/20 copper zinc. What gauge should I get?

try 11-52 or whatever is closest to that, just to see if you can go heavier or if you should go lighter
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I used to use D'Addario EJ16 Phosphor Bronze Light Acoustic Guitar Strings. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EJ16-Phosphor-Bronze-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings?sku=100182
I now use D'Addario EXP16 Coated Phosphor Bronze Light Acoustic Guitar Strings. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EXP16-Coated-Phosphor-Bronze-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings?sku=104340
I also used to use Musicians Gear Acoustic 12 80/20 Bronze Guitar Strings because I was getting some backup strings to keep in my bag as spares. They didn't really sound that bad for the price. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-Acoustic-12-8020-Bronze-Guitar-Strings?sku=101812

Edit: The D'Addario EXP stings last a ton longer than all the others I've used but they also have a slightly weird texture when fingerpicking that you kinda need to get used to. The feeling goes away within a week, whether its because I'm sure to it or it wears off or just bends a little.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Last edited by Chaos Nil at Aug 24, 2009,
D'Addario EJ16 Phosphor Bronze Light Acoustic Guitar Strings are the ones i use currently
ive tried martin sp and fenders acoustic both light
i think that the D'Addario sounds the best
I use D'Addario EZ900 85/15 Phosphor Bronze strings. They have nice bright tone, but not too bright. Perfect for most songs.
Quote by Asif Zaman
I use D'Addario EZ900 85/15 Phosphor Bronze strings. They have nice bright tone, but not too bright. Perfect for most songs.

I put on set of these on last week, really nice.
Does it offend you, yeah?
Ernie Ball makes pathetic acoustic strings.

Go with DR Sunbeams. With most other strings you'll have to change once a month, but the tone with these should last two or three months.