Page 1 of 2
Heyo!

So, one of my favorite genres to play is stoner rock/ metal. Bands like Acid King, Electric Wizard, Sleep, etc. However, my current guitar, a Fender Jazzmaster, does not cut it. I love this guitar, but it is time to get a dedicated stoner rock guitar.

What do you guys recommend? I would really appreciate any input, as I don't know where to begin when it comes to looking for new guitars (I'm much more of a gearhead).

For the record, I am using the following rig:

Sunn Spectrum I tube amp
Ampeg 410 bass cab
Way Huge Swollen Pickle Fuzz
Red Witch Fuzz God II (ordering this week)

Budget is not important What is important is build quality and sustain. I am not interested in trems, so a nice big bridge would be ideal.

So, go ahead and recommend some guitars! For what it's worth, I found this one quite appealing:

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-AR300RE
Last edited by Mr. Jiggy Fly at Aug 24, 2009,
i wouldn't get that one cuz of the maple top, which will make the sound more bright. you want a darker sound, so i suggest going with a good ol' Gibson SG.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Yea, the only thing I'm really attracted to on that guitar is the shape and bridge. Too flashy for me.

So far, the only other guitar I've considered is the Gibson Les Paul Special DC. And even though it sounded nice, I hated the playability. That's why I'm so behind on guitars, because I'm horribly picky. I love my JM but would definitely like something different to compliment it.
Oh, I would never replace it haha. It's my favorite guitar by far. I'm actually building another right now

Wow, I will need to check out more SG's. Also, what do you guys think of a hollowbody 335-style for the genre? I feel like the dark warmth could compliment heavy fuzz well.

Thanks!
A downtuned Les Paul Standard is pretty much the ultimate stoner guitar if you ask me. The Ibanez in the OP would also do it just fine - the maple top won't do that much to tone, really.

Hollows/semis would work well tonally, but if you use more than moderate amounts of gain, you're liable to get some pretty nasty feedback. And not the good kind of feedback either.

SGs also work tonally... but SGs lack sustain. Unless you're gigging with it, in which case sheer volume will compensate.
Thanks for the input man! I know that Les Pauls are considered a standard in the genre, but every Les Paul I have played has felt and sounded inadequate. It seems that Gibson has really cut down on the quality in recent years.

I owned a 1968 Guild T-100 hollowbody, and it would feedback in the least musical way all the time. That's definitely a concern.

If only I had the money to get a Travis Bean guitar

What non-Gibson guitars should I consider? Also, which do you guys think would suit high amounts of fuzz better, P90s or Humbuckers?

Thanks for the comments everyone!
The ESP EC-1000. the headstock wont break off on ya and cut a major artery like a gibson would.
Don't really have one, since I have a steady job and I'm always selling gear.

Omg, I think I found something:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/zayac/melody.jpg
http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/prodimages/1961-melody-maker-b.jpg
http://www.skallywagz.com/images/Guitars/Melody_Maker.jpg

Sexy, cool body, seems easy enough to mod. And apparently they don't sell for much on the used market!
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
What non-Gibson guitars should I consider? Also, which do you guys think would suit high amounts of fuzz better, P90s or Humbuckers?

Humbuckers, definitely.

Maybe a B.C. Rich Mockingbird? B.C. Rich gets a bad rep around here, but a mid- to high-end Mockingbird fits the bill here.
i've got a hagstrom super swede and it has nice dark tone and sounds good for stoner rock. i haven't tried it with fuzz but it sounds great with distortion and overdrive. its got a very smooth tone though, not as edgy as a les paul or sg.

http://hagstromguitars.com/Super_Swede.html
Last edited by wryan89 at Aug 24, 2009,
I'm playing a Ibanez hollowbody right now (AS73b) and i think it sounds great, i can get good, warm grooves going and it takes distortion and fuzz pretty well. the only problem is the feedback, but the hollow does add a lot of thickness to the sound, which is really important to stoner/doom metal.
How about a Gibson Firebird. Could be pretty nice for what you're after.

Also allow me to suggest a Fender '72 Telecaster.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by wryan89
i've got a hagstrom super swede and it has nice dark tone and sounds good for stoner rock. i haven't tried it with fuzz but it sounds great with distortion and overdrive. its got a very smooth tone though, not as edgy as a les paul or sg.

http://hagstromguitars.com/Super_Swede.html

Now that I'm thinking about it, yes. Hagstrom rocks.
I have an Ibanez AS-73, and it's great for shoegaze/stoner rock. It's pretty much a 335 copy, and it only goes for $350. I got mine on sale for $270, though.
Perhaps a modified melody maker with some humbuckers in it? that would sound pretty cool.But if your not up to modding,an epiphone Tony Iommi G-400 would fit the bill nicely.Sleep undoubtedly have a very sabbathy sound,so the pick-ups would match it nicely.I too play stoner metal on one of these guitars.Sounds great.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Ampeg Dan Armstrong Plexi.
Solid plexiglass = infinite sustain. And it comes with both a humbucker and single-coil pickup, so you can just change when you want.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Go an Gibson explorer, or find a better/cheaper copy. Mainly this because I have mass explorer GAS atm lol, would work well though.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by Kurapica
How about a Gibson Firebird. Could be pretty nice for what you're after.

Also allow me to suggest a Fender '72 Telecaster.

Both of those suggestions seem pretty good [Assuming you mean the Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe].
At least you'll look different to every other player who uses LPs.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
The hagstrom would be a good choice slightly off the beaten path. Also a guild bluesbird would be a good choice if you can find one. The build quality seems better than gibson and it has a chambered body while looking uncanny to an LP(almost). It does dark without mud very well.
Attachments:
bluesaaabig.jpg
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Last edited by miketheslut at Aug 24, 2009,
I know that the guitarist for Dinosaur Jr. (stoner(ish) rock) uses a Jazzmaster, and it sounds pretty good with the fuzz he uses. But if you really want to get another guitar with a darker sound, go for a Les Paul or an SG (or a copy). The guitarist for No Age (more on the side of punk, but he still uses some fuzz) uses an SG and that sounds pretty good too, although I don't know how SG's fare in the way of sustain, due to the thin body.

For LP copies, check into Agile guitars at rondomusic.com. They're pretty cheap and I've heard good things about them around here.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses! So far, I've gotten a list that looks like this:

Fender '72 Tele Deluxe (I've always loved these an totally forgot about them! Mmm Walnut)

Gibson Melody Maker D (Modded w/ Humbucker bridge and P90 neck)

Hagstrom Viking (Never played one but seems really promising)

Gibson Blueshawk (Played a bunch of these, loved em, never considered them for stoner rock but why not)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

And, since I already have this thread open, anyone mind suggesting a fuzz? Right now I'm torn between:

Dwarfcraft Shiva
Frantone Cream Puff
Red Witch Fuzz God II
and maybe the Death By Audio Fuzz War, even though I've heard the build quality is bad

Any other suggestions??

Thanks so much to everyone who has helped!
I'd say a higher end maton semi-hollow or a gibson double cutaway (prolly used). I dont know does just fit the genre the best for me
All Hail the Mighty Mastodon

Hail them now, hail them good, hail them just like you should. My neck my back uuuuuuhhhh just like that.. .. .. wat?
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly

If only I had the money to get a Travis Bean guitar

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I personally prefer single coil with fuzz. In fact I only play single coil guitars.

If you like the Travis Bean's you can still find some of the late 70's Kramer aluminium neck guitars for between $500 and $1000 depending on condition last time I looked.

http://www.vintagekramer.com/alum.htm

I've got a friend who has one of these and it is a really solid good playing guitar.

Last edited by dorfmeister at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly

And, since I already have this thread open, anyone mind suggesting a fuzz? Right now I'm torn between:

Dwarfcraft Shiva
Frantone Cream Puff
Red Witch Fuzz God II
and maybe the Death By Audio Fuzz War, even though I've heard the build quality is bad

Any other suggestions??

Thanks so much to everyone who has helped!

I've got a Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder that is huge in the bass.

My Malekko Germanium B:Assmaster also has huge bass.

I guess if I had to pick between the two I prefer the Dwarfcraft but I like them both quite a bit.
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses! So far, I've gotten a list that looks like this:

Fender '72 Tele Deluxe (I've always loved these an totally forgot about them! Mmm Walnut)

Gibson Melody Maker D (Modded w/ Humbucker bridge and P90 neck)

Hagstrom Viking (Never played one but seems really promising)

Gibson Blueshawk (Played a bunch of these, loved em, never considered them for stoner rock but why not)

i also have the viking and i absolutely adore it. i'm yet to come across a guitar that feels and sounds better to me and it has incredibly musical feedback. my mate mas a MIA tele and i reckon the viking sounds and plays much better. i can't convey in words how much i love this guitar.
I play a mixture of doom metal, sludge/stoner rock, and indie/hippie stuff, and my SG is perfect for it. consider the SG Classic with P90 pickups.
I would look into more vintage gear. Think old school Yamaha, or maybe Lawsuit Ibanez.

Yummy, sorry for the pic size
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
You want a quality guitar with serious sustain? Try a Fernandes Ravelle w/Sustainer.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/products/guitars/ravelle.html

I first encountered them in the hands of Reeves Gabrels, but if you scan their artist list, you may see some names you recognize.

Their Vertigo is also pretty cool.

Oh yeah...if you want something with a different look to it, both of those models are part of Fernandes' new "Shin" series- Japanese-themed art

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/shin-series.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 10, 2009,
SG,Les Paul just about any guitar will work really. Maybe the Epi Wilshires even since they are not a common guitar. Go out and play everything you can get your paws on.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by loudog93
i vote SG but keep the jazzmaster. it could come in handy.

i agree. there is no such thing as a stoner metal guitar (non of those bands you listed are rock) but the SG i pretty iconic in that genre. not to say it isn't in a shit ton of others though. get something that feels comfortable and you can do slides with no problem. something that is appealing is nice as well, but thats the last thing you should be worried about. if you wanted to get all stoner metalish id say ibanez is the worst way to go. nothing doesnt say stoner metal like an ibanez man. haha. that guitar does look nice. the fact its a maple top doesnt mean shit. if it's too bright sounding for you then it's just time to take the tone knob down a bit on the guitar. you could use a b.b. king signature gibson or epi to do stoner metal if thats what you preferred. no rules to this shit man.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by CarbonDeath
I would look into more vintage gear. Think old school Yamaha, or maybe Lawsuit Ibanez.

Yummy, sorry for the pic size

that is a beautiful guiytar. id switch out the pick ups for some gibson and i'd be set. looking for this guitar now. hahaha
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
You might want to try out one of these- they've gotten good reviews.

http://www.maldenguitars.com/subhuman.htm
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Have you considered the Edwards LP copies?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly

Dwarfcraft Shiva
Frantone Cream Puff
Red Witch Fuzz God II

Any other suggestions??

I've got a DBA Interstellar Overdriver Supreme and it appears to be built ok and would be decent for stoner rock.

Other pedals I like that can get heavy, bassy, and thick:

Tronographic Rusty Box - Based on the preamp section of the Traynor TS-50B Bass amplifier.

Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder - Muff variant with a ton of bass. It might get loud!

TheSYLE Singularity Overdrive - Lots of controls and variations. The sound I really like is a bassy, gravelly fuzz that this can get with quite a few variations. Great pedal but might be a little complex for quick change of settings on stage.

I think the Fuzz God would be thinner than the previously mentioned. Haven't tried the others.
Last edited by dorfmeister at May 25, 2010,
Page 1 of 2