So I just picked up a Traynor YVM-1 tube head for 20$! What a steal! To jog your memory it's one of Traynor's early models ('67) that was actually designed to be a P.A. head but is used by many guitarists for it's modification simplicity.
I seen what this thing can do on youtube, but it was all clean, and I need some gain!

So I know this thing can be heavily modified to get all sorts of tones out of her. What I'd love to do is get her kicking like a Marshall Plexi, and I've read that this is quite possible. The Plexi has been my dream rig since I entered into the realm of tube amplification. (Think hendrix tone/joe satriani) I know satriani doesn't necessarily use a plexi but he probably started on one and you can hear it in his tone... So any info on how I can do this, precisely? I'd like an expert's advice.

Also, is there a way of getting some gain just by chaining the inputs & outputs? I read about this somewhere, but I wouldn't know where to start and don't want to blow anything.
Yeah, you can bridge the channels and crank it for some awesome gain. Your house will be shaking though. I too am a vintage Traynor owner. Wonderful amps.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
In what way? I've never used a P.A. head as a guitar amp before so I need a little clarification. I think I know what to do but I don't want to blow anything.
Quote by Tyler_Shoe
So I just picked up a Traynor YVM-1 tube head for 20$! What a steal! To jog your memory it's one of Traynor's early models ('67) that was actually designed to be a P.A. head but is used by many guitarists for it's modification simplicity.
I seen what this thing can do on youtube, but it was all clean, and I need some gain!

So I know this thing can be heavily modified to get all sorts of tones out of her. What I'd love to do is get her kicking like a Marshall Plexi, and I've read that this is quite possible. The Plexi has been my dream rig since I entered into the realm of tube amplification. (Think hendrix tone/joe satriani) I know satriani doesn't necessarily use a plexi but he probably started on one and you can hear it in his tone... So any info on how I can do this, precisely? I'd like an expert's advice.

Also, is there a way of getting some gain just by chaining the inputs & outputs? I read about this somewhere, but I wouldn't know where to start and don't want to blow anything.
vintage traynors are very mod friendly, i don't know a ton about them but i do know that the yba-1 can be modded to something resembling a plexi fairly easily (and even stock they have a plexi-esque sound)...

but i don't know the setup on the yvm-1, i imagine it's a typical early tube amp with no master volume? first thing i would do on that amp is re-cap the amp, i'd keep the caps on the board and replace the filter caps, those will get leaky over time and bad filter caps can lead to disasters.

Second, i would install a post phase inverter master volume on an amp like that which would allow you to get more gain at lower volumes without having to push the amp to meltdown levels. it's a very simple mod, if the amplifier has two speaker outputs, you can simple disconnect one and use that hole in the chassis to install the MV pot. You can buy the parts from metroamp.com, look for the Lar/Mar PPIMV. Other than that I don't know what to suggest without seeing gutshots of the amp.