Just have a few questions about gear stuff. So I'm eventually looking into buying new gear.

Since I am very much on a budget, I was wondering which guitars come with stock EMG 81/85 pickups besides the Schecter Hellraiser's and the ESP LTD MH-400. Please don't tell me that I shouldn't pick a guitar based on the pickups alone, because this is the cheapest route for me and I'm on a budget. Unless you have other suggestions ie. a cheaper guitar that is better that will cost about the same if I buy and install the EMG pickups.

And, what are some good amps out there for gigging. Most recommended brands and models.
Last edited by hxcmatt at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by captainoid
What's your current budget, amp and location (for buying used purposes)?

Well budget would be like $600 for the guitar (I don't care if they're used, I've seen some cheap Hellraisers and ESP LTD on eBay). And the amp... best quality for the price I guess? I don't really know what's good, so I don't have any idea on what price range I would be looking at here, even used. Location is US.
There's the Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy Custom EX , and there's also an SG Prophecy Custom EX as well. Ibanez RGT6EXFX. What's your budget for the guitar, and what style do you play? Why do you insist on these pickups?
Quote by captainoid
Sorry, I'll rephrase: What amp are you using currently, if at all?

Okay it's a ****ty practice amp. I'm asking this question now b/c I need to save up when I start working and need an idea. I'm looking for one that'll project well enough and not get drowned out by the other instruments of course.
Quote by Amer91
There's the Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy Custom EX , and there's also an SG Prophecy Custom EX as well. Ibanez RGT6EXFX. What's your budget for the guitar, and what style do you play? Why do you insist on these pickups?

I insist on these pickups b/c for the style I play- want to play, they're the best, especially for the price. The budget for the guitar is around $600 (most likely a used guitar) give or take, I'm looking for quality more than the price but if I can get both that's better.
Last edited by hxcmatt at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by hxcmatt
Okay it's a ****ty practice amp. I'm asking this question now b/c I need to save up when I start working and need an idea. I'm looking for one that'll project well enough and not get drowned out by the other instruments of course.

New amp will sound infinitely better than a guitar with EMGs into the crappy practice amp. Get a pinch more money saved up and you could go for complete overkill with a 6505 combo. Or buy a B-52 AT-112, and keep the rest as a headstart for a guitar fund.
Quote by captainoid
New amp will sound infinitely better than a guitar with EMGs into the crappy practice amp. Get a pinch more money saved up and you could go for complete overkill with a 6505 combo. Or buy a B-52 AT-112, and keep the rest as a headstart for a guitar fund.

Are you talking about this one:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-212-Combo-2x12-Guitar-Amp?sku=481433

Also, that's such a huge price difference between the 6505 combo and B-52 AT-112- maybe anything in between?
Quote by captainoid
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-Plus-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=582106 (comes out in 1-2 months, I believe).

Was talking about this (or a used 2X12, if you'r lucky). Believe me, I've played both the 6505 (2x12, obviously) and the B-52. It's worth the wait (are you planning on giggin soon?).

Nope. Just have to do some planning and no better time than to do that now i guess.
Quote by hxcmatt
Forgot, how does the 2x12 compare to the 1x12- main differences?

1-the 1x12 costs half as much

2-the 1x12 is only 60w (This doesn't really matter much, as 60 tube watts is still obscenely loud, and more than enough for small gigs) ,

3-the 1x12 will not push as much air as a 2x12 (again, not really much of an issue, as there will most likely be an extension cab out on the back, as is the case with most decent combo amps).