kind of noobish question but what are the factors of a guitar that affect how far apart the strings are spaced from each other and how convex the neck is?

what are the extremes?
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
The larger the radius, the flatter the neck. It's easier to do chords with a more rounded neck (smaller radius), but it's easier to play faster with a flatter neck (larger radius). It doesn't effect string spacing I don't believe.
thanks man. does anything affect string spacing? or is this just the neck that im feeling and thinking the strings are farther apart. I like curved necks a lot more but if there is such a thing as different string spacing that would be good to know
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
those are seperate measurements. radius is explained above, and most necks should have an E to e width measurement somewhere online (or u can just guess-timate by the nut width). then just do the math to see how far each string is apart. also note the strings get slightly further away from each other the further down the fret board u go, so its not an exact science.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
yes but what are these kind of measurements? what would i look for if i wanted a guitar with the strings spaced farther apart than others?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
bigger nut width
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Also Floyd Rose tremolo-equipped guitars have slightly wider spacing at the bridge.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Aug 24, 2009,
i dont believe you can space strings farther apart. Reason is because you have two points of contact (the nut and the bridge). Now, when you put each string on the specific place for point of contact they will make a straight line. You cant really do much about spacing unless you got a wider/narrower nut or bridge (which will change the spacing of the contact points).

I'm not sure if any of those are possible, I believe you can get different widths of nuts but if anyone else can verify for me, wicked
do les paul's have a shorter radius than SGs? I hate playing my SG because i do a lot of chords and even my leads i feel like my fingers are tripping over each other because the strings feel so close together.

i've always been told i was more of a les paul kind of guy haha funny.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
gibson les paul studio with '59 rounded neck? Would this be something to look for? are the studios kind of crap?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob