1. If you had an 8 string, which is F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F for those who don't know, what would be the gauge of the high F? I was contemplating some Galveston basses and a guy who was demonstrating it said it was more like a guitar string, so I was curious...

2. If a combo amp has a speaker out, could you plug it into a cab and use it as a pseudo-head? If so, would it be a good idea? Curious because my Orange has speaker out.

3. Related to the 8 string, would an F# be a viable alternative to detuning?
I always thought 8 string basses we every string doubled, sometimes an octave higher.

Anyways, if the amp's jack is specifically labeled "Speaker Out" then that's what it's for. But it might be for an additional cab, you'd have to check the manual.
There's technically two types of 8 string basses, ones with octave strings and then some with 8 full strings. The latter is much rarer, the only company I know that makes them as a standard model is Galveston and Conklin, although Conklin is usually custom shop.

Edit: I'll check the manual anyway, as it just says speaker, technically.
Quote by Steve08
1. If you had an 8 string, which is F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F for those who don't know, what would be the gauge of the high F? I was contemplating some Galveston basses and a guy who was demonstrating it said it was more like a guitar string, so I was curious...

2. If a combo amp has a speaker out, could you plug it into a cab and use it as a pseudo-head? If so, would it be a good idea? Curious because my Orange has speaker out.

3. Related to the 8 string, would an F# be a viable alternative to detuning?

For #3

Depends on how much the lowest note is used. If you play a G every once in a while during a song then sure, but if you use the G as a pedal note then no, its not practical.

Edit:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1188430

I searched google for a few seconds and came up with a TB thread with a link to that page, that should be a pretty good generalization for high F string gauges.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Last edited by Thegian at Aug 24, 2009,
I've seen a 175 F# string
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
I've seen a 175 F# string

isn't that what the vampyre dark lord has?
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
probably somewhere between .020 - .025 for the high F. You probably couldn't use a guitar string if that's what you're wondering, not the right scale length, and probably wouldn't sit in the bridge right, but a guitars D string would probably be close to the same gauge.

for question 3, I suppose the F# would be a viable option, but I don't think a low F# will come in handy very often, it will probably be getting close to inaudible. I'd say you're better off going with a 7 string if you want the high F.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Last edited by Hobble at Aug 24, 2009,
How many amps could actually produce a low F# though?
And it's a note that is 3Hz above the average lowest limit of human hearing.
I can't imagine it not farting out constantly, and being rattly and loose.

Edit.
I realise now that you meant the high F.
Nevermind.
Last edited by Casketcreep at Aug 24, 2009,
1) Somewhere around .025
2)Yes, usually speaker outs are to get the full wattage out of the combo by supplementing with another cab. However, whether it's worth the extra X watts is up to you. If it's not that much more there's no real point in it.
3) There's no real alternative to drop tuning. Getting lower strings does not always mean you'll never have to drop tune again.
Quote by moody git
isn't that what the vampyre dark lord has?

yup
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

3) There's no real alternative to drop tuning. Getting lower strings does not always mean you'll never have to drop tune again.

with a low f# ??? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to drop tune you'd just have to rewrite your tabs around your tuning to get it to fit in. Though if you're too lazy to actually do that then yes you may have to drop tune but if you're not lazy then most likely you won't ever need to

As for speaker cabinet, you may want to build your own using a 15/18 that can reach all the way down to 20 hertz and then the cab to around 22-26, Idk if you should actually tune it to 23 hertz which is what the f# is but i'm not an expert so maybe someone could help you on that one
Last edited by thunderbritches at Aug 24, 2009,
It's not really laziness, drop tuning is more for simplicity's sake. Nothing lazy about making something a bit more amenable or easy for yourself.
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
It's not really laziness, drop tuning is more for simplicity's sake. Nothing lazy about making something a bit more amenable or easy for yourself.

Exactly. When I was in a band tuned ADGCF, I'd still drop the D to a C if the guitars did. Much more simple, especially if pedalling that C, since it helps take some weight off the playing in a way, leaving you to tend to your live show a bit more.
Quote by Casketcreep
How many amps could actually produce a low F# though?
And it's a note that is 3Hz above the average lowest limit of human hearing.
I can't imagine it not farting out constantly, and being rattly and loose.

Edit.
I realise now that you meant the high F.
Nevermind.

I can't think of any amps that can produce an F# (the low one), but I've seen custom sound systems in cars that can do it.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by Steve08
This guy's amp can, although it seems too low for the camera's mic. It was also on active, which probably didn't help either, but...

Would a 12" be capable of handling it?

5" speakers can handle it if you have enough of them. Then again, this cab has 24 of them.

EDIT: And the boy in that vid is annoying as f*ck. Reminds of the south park goths.
1) I would gladly kill the guy in that video... He's... well, nevermind.

2) For me lower strings would never replace drop tuning, not because of laziness, but if you want to say, pedal a D and play high up the neck, there's no way you could do that with a low B string. You need to drop the E to a D. That's how I use drop tunings anyway so lower strings wouldn't ever replace that. It's not a matter of laziness, it's a matter of necessity.
Quote by Steve08
Would a 12" be capable of handling it?

I don't think the size of a speaker matters. I have earbuds with low end response down to 8Hz and that low F# sounds just fine on Guitar Pro. All the way down to E (and even a tiny hint of Eb) and then all I hear is overtones due to, well, nature.

The size of the speaker is just to be louder with the low notes.