I'm probably switching from guitar to bass; however, I plan to be in a band and all a few years later when I can actually call myself a proficient guitarist on all levels. But the flaw in my happiness playing bass is that I cannot think of any sound a bass can make that can compare to symphonic melodies from a good guitar solo. I plan to switch to bass because of a few reasons :

1. It sounds better than a guitar to me, next to a guitar's solo time
2. I think the strumming/picking/slapping of the bass looks great
3. There is a high demand for good bass players; where as guitar players are not so much.

So, with that I've also noticed that in most bands bassists get no attention, they are either in the back and rarely have a lot of screen time on a music video or stage cameras, however I feel that I'd like to have a good amount of attention if I were to ever join a band, not to mention nowadays you can barely hear the bass in a work of music when it comes to metal.

Opinions, suggestions and ideas; please.
For starters, getting mixed well depends on the music and how hard you fight to be heard in the mixing process. Most bassists who make some noise in the metal genre usually do not follow the guitar lines, e.g. Jeroen from Obscura, Doug from Watchtower and Lars from Spiral Architect. On that note, Obscura has some of the best bass mixing/sound ever heard.

And trust me, if you have creative melodies, or have interesting technique, or whatever, people on the net and most likely legitimate musicians will talk about you highly, which to me is much better than attention. Also, you could volunteer to do most of the interviews if you're in a band.

Finally, I personally think you can combine all the different techniques that can be utilized for bass to make a solo performance much more interesting than a guitar by itself.
Have a great stage presence is a great idea, nobody is forcing bassists to stand in the back hiding behind the cymbals =P Thats just a bassist nature to be comfortable there I'd presume.

Have a lot of mids in your sound too, definately helps for the clarity of your tone. I also play with a pick to get more definition out of my sound, some can do it equally aswell with their fingers.
Baaaaaaazz
Quote by QvistDK
Have a great stage presence is a great idea, nobody is forcing bassists to stand in the back hiding behind the cymbals =P Thats just a bassist nature to be comfortable there I'd presume.

Have a lot of mids in your sound too, definately helps for the clarity of your tone. I also play with a pick to get more definition out of my sound, some can do it equally aswell with their fingers.

+1 to the stage presence. Why be ignored? On the picks/fingers debate, it is a personal choice! Neither is better, it's about which sounds better to your ears, and which is comfortable.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by pdxhwa
I cannot think of any sound a bass can make that can compare to symphonic melodies from a good guitar solo.

Then I would suggest sticking to what you are good at.

Quote by pdxhwa

3. There is a high demand for good bass players; where as guitar players are not so much.

There is also an infestation of guitarists who think they can play bass.
I would rather have no bassist in a band than that.
Quote by m4l666
+1 to the stage presence. Why be ignored? On the picks/fingers debate, it is a personal choice! Neither is better, it's about which sounds better to your ears, and which is comfortable.

this, do which one feels more comfortable and sounds better, not which one makes you look cooler, or makes you look like more of a bassist. I hate it when people say so and so sucks because he uses a pick or cannnot pick
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
If you want to play bass and you're worried about attention, you're probably not in the right mindset to start playing bass.

If you're a decent enough bassist, people will take notice. I get handshakes after every show from people. Be worried more about what your part is adding to the song, not who thinks your part sounds cool.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by rooster456 at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by Casketcreep
...Which in turn will get you more respect from fellow musicians (not guitarists though, they don't count as musicians).

I don't know, the guitarists in my band constantly admit that they **** up because they got distracted watching me play, and they're really good. I don't think I'm that good, so it can't be too hard to get respect from guitarists.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Quote by Hobble
I don't know, the guitarists in my band constantly admit that they **** up because they got distracted watching me play, and they're really good. I don't think I'm that good, so it can't be too hard to get respect from guitarists.

The problem is that most up-and-coming guitarists have inflated egos and think that they can play better than God (just an example) when they really don't know a major scale from a minor, which is very unfortunate for music. Your guitarists sound modest though, and guitarists who at least enjoy playing and respect the roles of other musicians (like not saying that mini-fridge is better than bassist) are cool, whether or not they are good.
It depends on the band you're looking for, I've noticed. You need to have a band that respects the need for bass guitar. Obviously, you're going to get drowned out in a band with 2 guitards playing really loudly in a drop tuning and using too much distortion. Only having one guitarist (in my experience anyway) seems to lessen the effect, along with having more mids and avoiding distortion. On stage, get out on the front of the stage and do something. Being a bassist is no excuse to hide behind a crash cymbal at the back of the stage.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
you sound like a keyboard player to me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by edgeyyz
The problem is that most up-and-coming guitarists have inflated egos and think that they can play better than God (just an example) when they really don't know a major scale from a minor, which is very unfortunate for music. Your guitarists sound modest though, and guitarists who at least enjoy playing and respect the roles of other musicians (like not saying that mini-fridge is better than bassist) are cool, whether or not they are good.

I think it's more the fact that the majority of guitards will assume they could play the bass better than their bassist (which in some cases, sadly it's true) and that all bassists secretly wish they could be playing guitar doing epic solos (which in some cases, sadly it's true).
It's this arrogance that fuels my neverending animosity towards our six stringed bretherin.

I'm currently playing in a band who brought in a new guitarist who according to the lead singer 'had to stop getting lessons because there was nothing more to teach him'.
The first thing that made me laugh was when I asked him what sort of music he liked he said "Oh bits of everything really... rock... metal. *long pause while he thinks*"
Then I said 'play that but raise it a perfect 4th' and he just looked at me blankly.

Anyway, lets not get make this into a slagging thread.
Quote by the humanity
you sound like a keyboard player to me.

accordion maybe? HUGE demand for the accordion. Just huge.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by NakedBassist
accordion maybe? HUGE demand for the accordion. Just huge.

I was serious. he can lay down a funky groove with one hand and do epic solos with the other. keyboard players are often very useful.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I was serious. he can lay down a funky groove with one hand and do epic solos with the other. keyboard players are often very useful.

This is true, but sadly, lots of musicians don't like the idea of having a keyboardist in their band.

The guitarists I have practiced with have very high respects for bass, the funny thing is that they were metal guitarists. Although I have met a guitarist that thought bass is only cool if you play slap stuff.

For attention, musicians will notice you if you are good but most non-musicians will only notice you if you sing.
Quote by Sylvanus
This is true, but sadly, lots of rock and metal musicians don't like the idea of having a keyboardist in their band.

if TS plays funk, jazz, prog, even country, he'll get a band if he's good.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Casketcreep
I think it's more the fact that the majority of guitards will assume they could play the bass better than their bassist (which in some cases, sadly it's true) and that all bassists secretly wish they could be playing guitar doing epic solos (which in some cases, sadly it's true).
It's this arrogance that fuels my neverending animosity towards our six stringed bretherin.

I'm currently playing in a band who brought in a new guitarist who according to the lead singer 'had to stop getting lessons because there was nothing more to teach him'.
The first thing that made me laugh was when I asked him what sort of music he liked he said "Oh bits of everything really... rock... metal. *long pause while he thinks*"
Then I said 'play that but raise it a perfect 4th' and he just looked at me blankly.

Anyway, lets not get make this into a slagging thread.

That puts Bass VI users in a gray area...
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
The accordian convo made me laugh.

I know both well (bass more than guitar) and I find that way, I'm there for both spots...but somehow it seems I'm the ONLY bassist in this town who knows a hoot about music who doesn't slam all 4 strings with a pick, tune down 52 steps, and play hardcore metal...So for rock bands...I haz 4!!!1! XP

hmm..bit of a rant there....point being, know both, they both may coem in ahndy to you (:
Try adding more delay.
Quote by Casketcreep
Most guitards would try to shred on it then be like "look dude, I can play bass better than you"

...Or not know what the hell it was.

My gu*tard thinks that I have no need for a 6. I think that he should think of more uses for his brain. I love him really though.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

TS, who said a bass player doesn't get to do solos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5mFVo55bKQ

As for the "guitard" debate, I am in a band with a guitarist who's both amazing and musically aware, it does indeed happen. If your guitarist thinks he's gods gift to music, then it's because he's a pr***, not because he plays guitar. If you're having trouble finding someone who isn't a pr***, look for guitarists who have played genres like jazz, funk or indie, they definitely won't see guitar as the be all and end all of music.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
We shall be heard, not seen.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Depends who you are in a band with. My first guitarist was like "bass deserves no respect, It exists to make the guitar sound better"
And my new guitarist is like "Hey dan, want to take another bass solo in this song?"
So It depends on what you and the other guys want.
Wish i played guitar, so cool, so cool. I just stand on my Double bass, playing some silly groove, and watch as yet again all the girls in the front row have huge orgasms.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by InvaderTSN
You're the dude from The Living End?

For you i could be anything....
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Hehe so you guys probably hate me for being a guitarist that plays bass?

I wrote a blog about it actually:
http://chainsawmaniac.blogspot.com/2009/08/why-playing-bass-helps-my-guitar.html

Oh and I use my fingers for bass, I cant use a pick on bass as I don't like the sound. Plus its way more interesting to learn a new instrument how its originally played, rather than just transfering techniques!

Oh and the orgasm thing? I believe that, bass is cool