TL;DR post ahead, scroll down to the ====.

Forgive the bashing-a-keyboard type-a-like thread title. I proclaim the acronym.. "attempting to sell a guitar month". Though, it could take longer than a month. Y'never know.

So I've being doing a bit of thinking here and there, and I'm actually thinking of selling one or two guitars I just don't use. One's a G&L Legacy Strat from 1997 that I've been trying to sell, and the other is a 1971/1972 (have to double-check the serial number for a confirmation) Gibson Les Paul Deluxe goldtop. G&L is in near-perfect condition (only scratches along the tremolo cavity plate).

Thing is, I want the money for heroin just new gear in general. The G&L and the Gibby are nice, but I never play 'em. I need something new to take their place. I've actually been trying to sell the G&L for a good week now but with little success. **** kind of goes south when you're trying to sell guitars. Maybe August isn't a good month for selling guitars, or I'm just overpricing the G&L.

Anyway, I was gonna ask.. might it be way too greedy of me to try to sell the G&L for ~1500 (CDN)? I've done a bit of internet browsing and I've basically come across the same price for G&L Legacys from the same year. Have those ever been sold? Hell if I know, maybe they were greedy bastards.

Also asking how much I could get for the Gibby. I bought it for around 2900 (it was really really blemished.. you'd have to be a pretty huge Norlin or Goldtop fan to go after it) and pretty much expect it to stay consistent in price.

So, what do I plan on doing with all the cash after I get those two sold? Well.. I dunno. I'm thinking of getting a carved top Wolfgang with a quilt or a 5150 III. Maybe even a really high-end JEM since those are really nice.

And heck, if you can, just suggest great gear. Gear I'd USE, obviously. Just so you know what to suggest, my musical tastes are broad.. I'm into a bit of Vai and Satch.. Chicago, AC/DC, Van Halen, The Eagles.

====
So, in short:
- Selling a G&L Legacy circa 1997. Great condition. Can I get 1500 for it? If not, what's my best bet?
- Might be selling a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop from 197[1/2]. I could probably get 2900 for it, right?
- Now, if I'm a lucky enough bastard to get both sold, what should I buy with the cash? A second wolfgang? A 5150 III? Something I would use. The G&L and Gibson were nice, but I use my other guitars more often. So, I don't want to buy any guitars if they're just gonna sit there and collect dust from all hemispheres of the house.
Last edited by HoffManCometh at Aug 24, 2009,
from the proceeds of the sale of the gibson, you would definatly be looking at a jem or js plus a decent amp, don`t get another wolfgang, you`ve already got 1..(they wouldn`t collect dust cos both guitars are very addictive-can`t put mine down) the sale of the g&l i don`t know `cos i`ve never used one...or seen them for sale 2nd hand.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
from the proceeds of the sale of the gibson, you would definatly be looking at a jem or js plus a decent amp, don`t get another wolfgang, you`ve already got 1..(they wouldn`t collect dust cos both guitars are very addictive-can`t put mine down) the sale of the g&l i don`t know `cos i`ve never used one...or seen them for sale 2nd hand.

Yeah, I've been thinking of a JS1200, it's just that I always hear mixed opinions about the Edge Pros. :S
the edge pro is the best trem they do, i`ve been using the edge pro trem for several years now without any issues, maybe your confusing it with the edge 3 which some peeps hate.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
the edge pro is the best trem they do, i`ve been using the edge pro trem for several years now without any issues, maybe your confusing it with the edge 3 which some peeps hate.

Maybe. I haven't tried out enough Ibanez guitars to really know what the Edge series of bridges are like.

See, the thing is: I run into more JEMs than JS1200s in my city. That's kind of problematic. I want to actually play the guitar and see what it's like before looking into buying it or not.

Selling that G&L really seems to be troublesome, though.. I'm practically going to have no choice but to spam ads on kijiji and craigslist with it. :/
Last edited by HoffManCometh at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
a couple of links for you then

http://www.jemsite.com/home.html

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm#EP

you said in another thread you tried the js20s which is basically a js100, the js1200 and 1000, feel totally different so i agree you gotta try one 1st but you will be impressed...

I expect to be impressed, I liked the feel of the JS20S/JS100 to start with: if people claim that the JS1000s and JS1200s feel better, then there is definitely room for improvement.

Also, I've got some pretty bad news.. that G&L ain't gonna sell for 1500. 1000 at most, and the dudes at the local music store say that if I trade it in I only get 70% due to commission and such. That puts me farther from getting a JS or a JEM, which means that it's definitely a priority for me to sell the old Goldtop. Even if I do sell it, I'll still only have enough cash for an awesome guitar and maybe a VOX Tonelab if I want a smaller unit than my AD30VT.

I think the main thing is that I have as many amps as I'll ever need for now. What I should focus on is a good line-up of guitars. I was fortunate enough to end up with a Fender Am. Standard, a Gibson Les Paul Standard, a Peavey Wolfgang and the two other guitars. If I take those two guitars out of the equation and put in a great all-around axe, I'll never have to worry about buying new guitars again. I've got the unfortunate problem of wanting too much so I need to find gear that satisfies my desires in small quantities.

So, yeah. I'll write in this thread again soon with updates on the guitar sellin'.
Awesome news! I managed to sell the G&L for 750 bucks. I was hoping to get close to a thousand for it but I had to low-ball it a little bit.

Still haven't listed my '71/72 Les Paul and I'll have to do a bit more thinking on that.

I'm fairly certain that I'm not going to be buying any amps now. I've already got a 5150, a Marshall and a Vox AD30VT, so there's not a lot I can do in the way of amps - my main intention is to go smaller. So, why bother with bigger and more powerful amps? I ain't got that much room.. Anyway, I tried to limit my options.. but I realized that my options are already limited to start with (when it comes to wanting to know what to look for) - asides from JEMs or JSs, I really don't know all that's out there.

Anything higher-end guitars you can recommend trying out, guys? I don't want to go and spend my cash all in one go on something I haven't had other guitar models to compare to. I'm lookin' around in the range of $1000~3000.