how do i play chords with a slide on my pinky?

for example if i want to play a F bar chord and have a slide on the pinky, can i use the other three fingers to string only the three notes - 5 th string 3rd fret, 4th string 3rd fret and 2nd string 2nd fret? would that stand for F?

appreciate the feedback.
yes^^
but try to find the most important notes of the chord and play only them, like instead of playing the F 133211 hold just xx3211 and you dont need the pinky.
in addition, you can try to learn to hold power chords with 2 finger( hammet style yeah!) , root with index and the next 2 strings(or just the next) with any of the 2 fingers remaining

EDIT: Dude try not to post so much in your thread, use the EDIT button
i actually tried to hold bar chords with three fingers - using the ring finger to hold two notes on the same fret. but it invariably mutes the string right below it. sorry about "edit" - didn't notice the functionality. btw i am not really clear about the finger positions you have specified for F.
Last edited by vtpcnk at Aug 24, 2009,
This is why slide players tend to favour open tunings
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by vtpcnk
i actually tried to hold bar chords with three fingers - using the ring finger to hold two notes on the same fret. but it invariably mutes the string right below it. sorry about "edit" - didn't notice the functionality. btw i am not really clear about the finger positions you have specified for F.

you mean the power chord? or the Fmajor chord?

for the power chord 133 hold the 1 with your index and the two 3s with your ring finger
for the major chord (xx3211) use the regular fingering , bar the thinnest strings with your index on the first fret, middle goes on G fret 2 and the ring on D on 3rd fret.
hope its clear now. if not...ask again
so are you saying the C note on the 5th string is not needed for F major chord?
Quote by vtpcnk
so are you saying the C note on the 5th string is not needed for F major chord?

no, not again, because you allready have it on the B string first fret. you will find out further on how not to stick to tabs and chords and develop your best suited style for playing

EDIT:it also depends on the song
Honestly, if you just tune to open D or something it'd make life so much easier.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i am trying to learn derek and the dominoes "anyday". trying to play both clapton and duane allman parts - but the slide parts are limited in that song.
Also the Duane Allman part will have been in open tuning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

yea DA's parts are in open tuning - but where only the low E is tuned to D. the other strings are the same as standard tuning.
Even that makes chording a lot easier though - you've got the bottom 3 notes of the chord all in a line. Easiest way to play a chord in that situation is actually to "fret" the botom 3 notes with the slide and fret the third on the G string behind the slide.

I'm only persistent with it because it's common sense lol, most slide players play in an open tuning because it allows you to play a chord across all 6 strings using the slide.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc