Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes. Ever since school I have longed to become a full time guitar teacher but ended getting a crappy pencil pushing job and kind of stopped playing for a while as well.

I suddenly had an epiphany, saved a load of money and I am now on a year out of work in order to build my playing and teaching skills in order to start teaching.

In terms of entering teaching I have a couple of options here in the uk. There is a course offered by 'Access to Music' which awards a recognised qualification in order for me to teach in schools etc, the only problem is it starts in a couple of weeks and I don't feel my chops are up to task (can't play the more advanced stuff again yet!). My other option is to join the Registry of Guitar tutors, continue to build my playing skills, get some students and just learn as I go with the teaching.

I suppose the real issue is my playing ability at the moment as I am a way away from passing a grade 8 exam. I'm in a bit of a dilema, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Basically, i advice start teaching beginner students so that you get a knack of how you should structure your teaching ways

basically for beginners you would need to just make sure about their posture and technique wise, and teach them a very basic songs using both chords and riffs

this could be done privately as from here you would gain a reputation and gradually build your confidence both in your playing and teaching
Ironically, you may have to seek the help of a guitar teacher yourself.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Ok so Martindecorum, you wouldn't recommend going for the course then?

Can you recommend any books that will help me learn how to teach, advertise etc.?

To osXtiger; I am getting some lessons from a teacher at the moment but I am a little apprehensive about asking him about it because obviously I would then become a competitor for students.
Quote by GuitarJim1987
Ok so Martindecorum, you wouldn't recommend going for the course then?

Can you recommend any books that will help me learn how to teach, advertise etc.?

To osXtiger; I am getting some lessons from a teacher at the moment but I am a little apprehensive about asking him about it because obviously I would then become a competitor for students.

I ask my teachers about teaching all the time.. :P
I reckon join the registry, and look at the syllabbus for the course. Most teaching courses you don't have to be too advanced for.

alternatively.. look at a different course. You won't turn into a full time teacher straight away, so you may aswell do a course at the same time.
If the real issue is your playing ability,maybe you should prepare for a lower grade before hand , i am assuming you haven't taken a guitar exam yet ?
Remember you said you want to start out as a guitar "teacher" , which is not the same as a guitar " player" .
there are many books i could recommend :

"making money teaching music"
"not pulling strings "
"improve your teaching "
are a few .
I wouldn't worry too much about other guitar tutors , just work on being the best tutor you can be .
I encourage my students to become tutors . Quite a few of them are doing well now teaching guitar .
Thanks for the comments everyone. I have taken grades before so I am familiar with the process.

The main question really is whether to do the course or not. I am leaning towards differing for a year, building some experience and funds teaching beginners and then do the course next year.
Quote by GuitarJim1987
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes. Ever since school I have longed to become a full time guitar teacher but ended getting a crappy pencil pushing job and kind of stopped playing for a while as well.

I suddenly had an epiphany, saved a load of money and I am now on a year out of work in order to build my playing and teaching skills in order to start teaching.

In terms of entering teaching I have a couple of options here in the uk. There is a course offered by 'Access to Music' which awards a recognised qualification in order for me to teach in schools etc, the only problem is it starts in a couple of weeks and I don't feel my chops are up to task (can't play the more advanced stuff again yet!). My other option is to join the Registry of Guitar tutors, continue to build my playing skills, get some students and just learn as I go with the teaching.

I suppose the real issue is my playing ability at the moment as I am a way away from passing a grade 8 exam. I'm in a bit of a dilema, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

So you quit your job, so you could practice to be good enough to teach?

I would suggest, keeping a job to pay the bills (unless you live with your parents or something), but practice on the side. You could even start teaching beginners now, and develop your teaching style (that takes experience).
shred is gaudy music
Well I quit my job in order to do this teaching course and build my playing skills. I'm basically having a crisis of confidence because my playing has not improved as quickly as I wanted in to in time for the course to start.

I suppose regardless, if you have a plan you should stick with it. At the end of the day it is not a course in playing it is teaching so I still have until I finish to improve my playing further.

Thanks everyone for your input, my mind is now made up, I am going to start the course in september.

The link for the details if your interested:
http://www.accesstomusic.co.uk/courses/further_courses/music_educator/