hey guys, quick question

I have a Vox AD100VT, an open backed amp, and was wondering if it would be worthwhile to make it convertable between an open and closed backed amp, most likely with a board large enough to fill the gap, able to be slid down some sort of groove system or something similar as to remove the need to bring tools everywhere i go.

so yeah.. worthwhile? or more effort than what its worth?

Note: the reasoning behind me wanting to do this is to A) be able to switch easily between the open backed and close backed sounds, and B) to have a customised amp i can call my own.
I don't have a girlfriend.. I just a know a girl who would be really mad if she read this
i'm not entirely sure how much of a difference having a closed back would make, but given this is a modelling amp i would have thought you would get vastly greater tonal differences switching between amp models rather than closed/open back. As for how much effort it'd be, that depends on your wood working skills. How much it's worth depends on how much it's worth to you to have an amp that's unique. One thing it would mean is that you'd turn up at gigs etc. with a random piece of wooden board...

I like your reasoning for B though
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I have a couple or paragraphs on this somewhere. I'll go find 'em for you. It preety much explains the difference beetween open, and closed back.

EDIT: Found the book which the couple of Paragraphs were in... but couldn't find the couple of paragraphs. I'm sure a Google Search will do no harm.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by sexy_bacon
so yeah.. worthwhile? or more effort than what its worth?
Just a bad idea in general.
Part of the reason for an open back is to allow ventilation (cooling).
Closing it off could cause your amp to get too hot and fail.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Just a bad idea in general.
Part of the reason for an open back is to allow ventilation (cooling).
Closing it off could cause your amp to get too hot and fail.

Couldn't you close off the back, Drill a hole in it, and install a fan? I don't know how much sound would escape from the hole though. You could probaly install a computers heatsink in there. I dunno what that'd do to the tubes though.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Couldn't you close off the back, Drill a hole in it, and install a fan? I don't know how much sound would escape from the hole though. You could probaly install a computers heatsink in there. I dunno what that'd do to the tubes though.
Your best bet for keeping it cool is probably going to be isolating the electronics from the main part (where the speakers are) of the amp, and sealing the main part and not the electronics part. Unfortunately, that will probably be hard to do, and might even necessitate rehousing the amp in a whole new cabinet.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
the speakers are not designed for a closed-back cab. speaker cones for closed cabs are stiffer, since the air inside the cab acts as a spring or w/e.

speaker cones for open cabs are more flexible to make up for having no 'cushion' of air.