Hi everyone,

I am trying to play the song "Blackened" from Metallica. The problem is, it is a very fast paced song and usually I end up with unwanted strings vibrating and messing up the sound. This especially happens at the end of the main riff. The thing is, I started to play with a classical guitar and I press the frets almost perpendicular with my fingers. When I lift my fingers up, sometimes the strings continue to vibrate. Do I really have to change my technique, where you press almost parallel to the frets? Eventhough, I palm mute the strings, it is not enough, usually the G string vibrates. Thus, no clean souınd at all. It really sucks. Any suggestions for this problem???
Thanks in advance.
You need to start slow and mute with your fretting hand.

Or tie something around the nut to dampen every open string.
I am really working on that!!! But it is really hard to mute the strings, because the duration of the notes are very short... I feel like there is really no time to mute the strings with my fretting hand.
Also, just make sure you practice it slowly at first so you can play it cleanly at speed. It can often be caused by not playing smoothly enough.
I am really working on that!!! But it is really hard to mute the strings, because the duration of the notes are very short... I feel like there is really no time to mute the strings with my fretting hand.

You mute with your fret hand fingers the whole time, not just in between the notes.

Let your fingers lay across the upper strings and mute them as you play.
errr... shouldn't we put some order here??? this clearly go in guitar techniques...
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
Quote by blue_strat
You need to start slow and mute with your fretting hand.

Or tie something around the nut to dampen every open string.

i have to disagree with the tying of something around the nut to dampen the open string. i've found that the vast majority of the time a good technique will conquer open string ringing.
i play blackened too and your right its hard to switch between palm muted and regular strumming in the main intro riff. If the riffs on the lower frets are being messed up by a vibrating string I suggest practicing it slower untilyou are able to do it fast with no string vibrating. If your problem has anything to do with a vibrating string in the solo than I suggest you tie something such as a bandana around the nut or one of the lower frets of the guitar
Quote by the NAB
...If your problem has anything to do with a vibrating string in the solo than I suggest you tie something such as a bandana around the nut or one of the lower frets of the guitar

I can't believe people suggest something like this.

Learn how to mute with your fingers. It's essential.
Quote by the NAB
If your problem has anything to do with a vibrating string in the solo than I suggest you tie something such as a bandana around the nut or one of the lower frets of the guitar

This is completely impractical if you wish to perform the song in it's entirety or perform it live. However it may be appropriate for laying the solo down in the studio.

Learn how to do it. Watch videos of other people doing it and figure out what you're doing wrong. Muting strings that is
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud