i got a second hand bass and the strings that were on it NEED replacing but the problem is i don't know what a good gauge to use is, i play guitar and use either 10's or 11's so what would the equivalent be on a bass guitar?
+ i don't know if this matters at all but i play alot of metal at home and jazz with a school band

thanks
Mine are .45 - .105.
I'm in E standard usually, but my band plays in drop C.
Depends on the tuning you play in, maybe your just looking to get a set that will produce a tension that you'll be used to though and there's some tension calculators on the net that could help but it would be easier to just get used to the new tension and size imo.

If you give some examples of the tunings you generally plan to play in then you'd get much better results, but you'll also learn that the gauges used to reach notes lower than D or so likely wont be able to tune soo freely up and down.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Last edited by Thegian at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You'll probably be wanting to look for just a standard gauge string which is .105-.45 gauge. If you play a lot of metal and drop tune a lot, then perhaps .110-.50 would be better.

^this!