I'd like to try a set of Ernie Ball Earthwood light strings, 80/20, on my Yamaha. I'm looking for something a little warmer and lighter (.11, easier on my beginner's fingers) than the D'Addario EJ11 strings that I'm using now. I've heard mixed reports on this forum about Ernie Ball strings...

Any Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.
Yamaha FG730S
Asheville?!

Most everything in the Martin line sounds a bit deeper...try the links here

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20614684

This one is brand specific, with photos of the packs... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767693
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Aug 24, 2009,
everyone has personal preference on guitars. just like how taylors seem to sound great to one person but empty to another, strings are the same way.

buy all the strings you want, different brands and everything and once you've run through all of them, decide for yourself which you like best.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Martin 80/20's are very warm once broken in.

Dean Markley Alchemy GoldPhos are probably the warmest sounding strings you can get.
Don't use Ernie Ball acoustic strings. Trash.

From what I've heard Martin strings are pretty warm sounding
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Well, with my experence with 80/20 bronze strings, there bright, which with my guitar, which has a very warm tonewood, evens it out alot, so depending on what kind of wood your guitar is made out of, the type of string you use will affect your sound alot, I use D'Addario EXPs 80/20 bronze and I love them. I dont know about Ernie ball stings, never used them. I've really never had any bad experiences with D'Addario strings, you just got to find the right balance with them for your guitar. But I do hear martins are pertty good strings like everyone else has said.
BTW, never use Cleartone strings, they are cheap for a reason.
I've used medium Earthwoods on my Fender. They sound bright & chimey the first few weeks you put them on, then they sound like crap after that. I'm an aggressive strummer when I play my stuff (Rockabilly), so I need the brightness to cut through the twangy lead guitar. I put on a fresh set of Earthwoods right before 4th of July to jam over at my cousin's house, and they sounded like muddy crap seriously, a week after that. My high E just snapped the other night while tuning up, so looks like I'm going back to phosphor-bronze.

You mentioned you wanted warm; try the Earthwoods out and give them a few weeks of playing time. They'll warm up and mellow on you all right. But hey, you might like the sound of worn-in 80/20's like some people do.
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals
Thanks Gang!

My guitar is currently getting a setup, upgrade to bone saddle and Earthwood strings.

At any rate it should sound different.
Yamaha FG730S
Just as a thought, am I the only person that loves the way the earthwound packages smell?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
No! I loved the smell too! But then I smell things a lot. Books for example
I love the way Earthwoods smell like maple syrup. 0.0
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
Got my guitar back yesterday. I really like the Earthwood strings, warm with a bit of punch on the high end. But man! the bone saddle really booms!
Yamaha FG730S
Quote by NC_Acoustic
I'd like to try a set of Ernie Ball Earthwood light strings, 80/20, on my Yamaha. I'm looking for something a little warmer and lighter (.11, easier on my beginner's fingers) than the D'Addario EJ11 strings that I'm using now. I've heard mixed reports on this forum about Ernie Ball strings...

I'm a huge fan of these string. I like the Earthwood: Rock and Blues sets. They have nice thick EAD, and then fairly light upper range to facilitate bends and hammerons and such. I bounced back and forth between these and Elixrs for a while but these are definitely more comfortable (for me at least.)
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
I've not had a good experience with the strings. They sounded great when I put them on, but after two days (literally) they look and sound like three month old strings.
Quote by bennie22
I've not had a good experience with the strings. They sounded great when I put them on, but after two days (literally) they look and sound like three month old strings.

You seem to like the sound of fresh strings.

Go for elixirs, they are strings that will give you the wholesome brightness you're looking for with a brightness that lasts longer than two days.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
the D'Addarios in custom light .011-.052 are my favorite fingerstyle set... they last well, sound good, and the lighter gauge makes them sound a bit more airy and delicate than 012-054.