Not sure if this should be in the Electric Guitar forum but i figured it's more about the strap than the guitar.
I use on of the Dimarzio straps that screws onto the guitar but as my band get better at this whole live thing i'm worried about it pulling out and threading the hole (our shows can get pretty intense). I've seen some bands (and Jeff Buckley :O) duct tape their straps to their guitars and wondered if there was any conceivable problem with doing this?
Strat

Proco Turbo RAT
Boss RE-20

Fender Blues Junior
you get glue on your guitar's finish.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I always found that pretty idiotic, to be honest. It also looks foolish.
I think you should just get a bigger screw than when comes with the locking straps, even if it means making the thread bigger than it originally was on the guitar. Don't know about you, but I'd rather that than get glue on the finish, or dropping it and potentially damaging the guitar.
And just how big a problem is that? Maybe i need a cheap squier to fix up for live use
Strat

Proco Turbo RAT
Boss RE-20

Fender Blues Junior
why would you spend a few hundred to replace a mim strat worth a few hundred.

you can add a dowel and drill in a mega screw. or you can duct tape because you don't give a **** if someone thinks it looks dumb.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I really... really doubt you're doing anything that'll make a decent sized screw pull out and threading the hole. Unless you're using a Les Paul, throwing it up in the air, only to catch it by the stap just before it its the ground, this catch being made with the screw perpendicular to the ground so that all the force is placed on the screw, making it easier to pull out.

I've had my Scaller.. I don't even know how to spell it... strap lock (which uses a screw) for over two years. I replaced the screw that was originally in the guitar with a bigger one with bigger threads, and went deeper into the guitar. I'm yet to tighten the screw since that day two years ago. It's a Les Paul, I usually hold it with a good angle (more vertical than most people) and do gig.
Last edited by page.slash at Aug 24, 2009,