Page 1 of 5
Well when I start school next week I will be getting EMA. I will be getting £30 a week and £150 bonuses just for staying on at school. You get it if only one of your parents work.

So have any one here got it before, or are currently getting it?

I think it only applies to The UK
Last edited by Duffman123 at Aug 24, 2009,
I got it, one of the few entirely great things in life.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I used to get it, it was amazing, but now I have to deal with SAAS
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Yeah, I get it. You gotta keep good attendance with it, and they always pay it in the week after. Stupid government arses
I don't get it but all of my friends seem to.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
I wish is did...

it was one of those ridiculous things where if you really NEEDED ema to keep in school cos your parents couldn't/wouldn't provide, it wasn't enough (3 people dropped out of my 6th form cos of this) but if your parents COULD provide it was waay too much and just ended up as pay for doing nothing, which would just end up being spent at the pub. It also annoyed me when rich people got it - like one guy who had been given a 3-bedroom house for his 16th birthday by his parents, but because it was a different address he could claim he didn't have any income so got ema and loads of other bonus payments things, came to over £1000 a term...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I got it. It was a good thing. Although your friends who don't get it will not be impressed. Just do what I did and tell them that they should ask their parents to earn less money if they want EMA.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Emancipated Muff Association?
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Quote by _-Joey-_
IF I get into sixth form, I'll be gettin' it!
Just hope my GCSE results are good enough to get in!

Same

When are you getting yours? Im getting mine on Thursday
Quote by doive
I wish is did...

it was one of those ridiculous things where if you really NEEDED ema to keep in school cos your parents couldn't/wouldn't provide, it wasn't enough (3 people dropped out of my 6th form cos of this) but if your parents COULD provide it was waay too much and just ended up as pay for doing nothing, which would just end up being spent at the pub. It also annoyed me when rich people got it - like one guy who had been given a 3-bedroom house for his 16th birthday by his parents, but because it was a different address he could claim he didn't have any income so got ema and loads of other bonus payments things, came to over £1000 a term...

That sucks. I can't get it because my parents earn just over the threshold. It's not like I exactly need it, but it would have been simpler, so my parents didn't have to give me any money and it could be spent on the family.

Quote by Duffman123
Same

Yeah I get mine Thursday. I already have the GCSEs needed for my college course cos I took a few early, but I'm still really nervous about this >.>
Last edited by AnAngrySquirrel at Aug 24, 2009,
all i have to say it you bugger

i had to go through a level with nothing i cant even get a job

EMA sucks so much balls my parents earn tomuch but yet give me nothing and i get nothing for going to collage yet my mate gets EMA and he has over £2000 in his bank account its really annoying my family arnt even rich and im not entiteld to EMA
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
You don't even have to go to your lessons to get it at my school you just get a form at the end of the week and forge your teachers signature saying they just got it wrong.
Funny how two swedish guys are being confused.

In Norway we get scholarships if we don't live with our parents. And even more if they earn less or nothing.

My parents earn a lil' above average, but I don't live at home so I get like £300 a month.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Duffman123
Same

Also on Thursday!
I'm sorta shittin' it! I wasn't bothered until a couple days ago, but now it's closer, if I don't get in I have no idea what else I'm going to do
I feel I've done quite crappy on them too
Last edited by _-Joey-_ at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by _-Joey-_
Also on Thursday!
I'm sorta shittin' it! I wasn't bothered until a couple days ago, but now it's closer, if I don't get in I have no idea what else I'm going to do
I feel I've done quite crappy on them too

Im sh*tting it to!
Anybody who dosnt get accepted back to school is pretty screwed because results come out on the 27th and most schools and colleges start in early September
I used to get it when I went to college.

Honestly though, I spent almost every penny of it on ganja.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by Duffman123
Im sh*tting it to!
Anybody who dosnt get accepted back to school is pretty screwed because results come out on the 27th and most schools and colleges start in early September

Yeah, they don't give you much time to prepare or anything if you don't get in

Quote by IDread
I used to get it when I went to college.

Honestly though, I spent almost every penny of it on ganja.

& that's what I'm planning on spending the majority of mine on!
LOL. i get it. its such balls. the government are jackasses. theyr paying me to play guitar. its to prevent the cretinous pikey/chav populous to sponge off the government at a later stage.
Quote by VIO-LENT
LOL. i get it. its such balls. the government are jackasses. theyr paying me to play guitar. its to prevent the cretinous pikey/chav populous to sponge off the government at a later stage.

Say that again so that it makes sense please.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
I get the £30 a week, and both my parents work. It's more to do with the anual income. I really don't need that much for college, but i'm not complaining
I wish I got Ema, alas, many covet my parents riches.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

I have nothing against you kids for getting allowances if your parents COULDN'T work - say they were both disabled and hugely dependant and physically incapable of going to work etc. but why give benefits to kids whose parents don't bother going to work?

My folks are by no means rich, work hard for a living, and I worked throughout 6th form every saturday for 8 hours getting some money to scratch around for beer and guitar gear, bus fares and driving lessons on some crap wage, all the while the lazy bums were getting money for nothing half the time. And what pissed me off the most was that bonus crap of staying in school - I never skived and got nothing for it.

And my mate goes college, has a job and gets EMA still has the cheek to ask me to buy him beer just because I work full time - hang on! He only gets EMA because I get mugged off paying tax. Tossers!

*Rant over* back to work
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
EMA makes me sick. The idea behind it is for people who's parents don't earn as much are given money to help them through school. It's supposed to pay for books and exam papers, and everyone spends it on whatever the hell they want, then they complain if it's in late, or if they don't get their £150 bonus.
£30 a week for whilst others get nothing? Somebody please try to justify this, I could do with a good laugh.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
EMA makes me sick. The idea behind it is for people who's parents don't earn as much are given money to help them through school. It's supposed to pay for books and exam papers, and everyone spends it on whatever the hell they want, then they complain if it's in late, or if they don't get their £150 bonus.
£30 a week for whilst others get nothing? Somebody please try to justify this, I could do with a good laugh.

My mother can't afford to give me £30 a week. The people who don't get it have parents who can.

The majority of people who complain about it are pissed off purely because they don't get it.

Fuck off and grow up. Not everyone has life handed to them on a silver spoon.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I can't get it. My Dad is oout of work but we're on the threshold with what my mum earns. One guy i know will get it. His parents are divorced, and he lives with his mum, who works for hardly anything at a church. However his dad is pretty much loaded and gives them both a ton of cash. System is too easily exploited in favour of people with divorced parents
Quote by Sleazeball
I have nothing against you kids for getting allowances if your parents COULDN'T work - say they were both disabled and hugely dependant and physically incapable of going to work etc. but why give benefits to kids whose parents don't bother going to work?

Um, because it's not their own fault that their parents have no money because they don't work?

And I hate your attitude of 'don't bother going to work'. There are plenty who would love to.

EMA seems a waste anyway to me, we should give grants to those who actually need it.
a friend of mine conned the EMA into giving him £30 a week as his dad is self employed and therefore can change how much his salary is, cheeky bastard!

i got nothing as both my parents earn too much

UG's PROG HEADS!!

Quote by PullTigerTail
What the hell's a gigawatt!?
Quote by eazy-c
My mother can't afford to give me £30 a week. The people who don't get it have parents who can.

The majority of people who complain about it are pissed off purely because they don't get it.

Fuck off and grow up. Not everyone has life handed to them on a silver spoon.

So your assuming that people who don't get it are given £30 a week by their parents?

Just because someone's parents earns more, doesn't mean they are given more. Certainly at least in my case. I've had to work for my own money since I was 13, don't talk to me about silver spoons when you're the one having £30 handed to you every week for no reason, hypocrite. Certainly no need for the swearing either.
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by Cobain_Is_King at Aug 24, 2009,
I wish I could get it here in the U.S.; only one of my parents work, and I always have near-perfect attendance, and I could DEFINITELY use the cash....
I want it. My parents never give me money, and I cant get a job.

Interestingly, me and the rest of the unemployed, non-EMA people, are getting good grades. About half our year has failed their AS's. It's probably cos we cant afford to go out, and the people who get EMA spends it on booze.

EDIT: Everyone I know who has EMA has underachieved terribly, they tend to do the minimum work, only to get their EMA money, whereas I work ONLY for my grades, no extra incentive ie. money, so I feel I'm in a better position, having to motivate myself to work.

Also people who have divorced parents, like my mate, his stepdad is some kind of millionaire with his own business, his dad doesn't earn much, and he puts down his Dad as the income winner, gets EMA, but lives in a massive house, waited on hand and foot by his Stepdads massive salary.

It's not really fair.
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Aug 24, 2009,
I think it is bullshit. i didn't get it, but my parents couldn't afford to give me all of that money, but many of my friends got it, and then just used it to buy beer when we went out. meanwhile, i got a job, and they didn't have to. obviously i don't blame them, or anyone else that gets it (hell, if i were eligible i'd have been right in there) but i think the whole system is ridiculous.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
I'm having to sign on

St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
Quote by slash-120
Sucks when youre parents earn just over, but can't afford to give you £30 a week.

This. Its not fair. It shoudl be a graded system, like slowly getting more the less salary you have, not just a YES YOU GET MONEY or NO YOU DONT GET MONEY thing.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
So your assuming that people who don't get it are given £30 a week by their parents?

Just because someone's parents earns more, doesn't mean they are given more. Certainly at least in my case. I've had to work for my own money since I was 13, don't talk to me about silver spoons when you're the one having £30 handed to you every week for no reason, hypocrite. Certainly no need for the swearing either.

Whether your parents choose to give you money or not is nothing to do with me. The fact of the matter is that if you aren't elligble for EMA then they certainly can afford it. That wasn't directed at you personally either. In my experience the people who complain about not getting EMA tend to live very comfortable lives in big houses and manage to buy clothes, games etc. and go out every weekend despite supposedly never getting money from their parents.

I probably get too annoyed over this but it enrages me when I see people who have never known true financial worry complaining about how hard done by they are. Again, this isn't aimed at you personally.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by flambe chicken
I think it is bullshit. i didn't get it, but my parents couldn't afford to give me all of that money, but many of my friends got it, and then just used it to buy beer when we went out. meanwhile, i got a job, and they didn't have to. obviously i don't blame them, or anyone else that gets it (hell, if i were eligible i'd have been right in there) but i think the whole system is ridiculous.

This.
Most people who get EMA reckon they don't need a job when they already get £30 a week.
RULE BRITANNIA
my mum gets a grand a year too much for me to qualify
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Page 1 of 5