Hi all,

My name is Shane and I just signed up to these forums. My main instrument is a homemade, electrified 3-string cigar box guitar. It's played with a slide (I use a spark plug socket). If anyone is interested in building their own, I put some free plans on my website. LINK --> http://cigarboxguitar.com/build.html

All you need is a wood cigar box (easy to find at a cigar store or on eBay), a plank of poplar from Home Depot and some strings and tuners.

Well, consider this my introduction!

-Shane Speal
ps. I live in York, PA and frequent the open mic at the First Capital Dispensing Co. every Wednesday night. If you live nearby, come on out.
Almost as br00tal as the death metal guy.

someone post him!

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Reminds me of Seasick Steve's guitars.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I loves me some Seasick Steve. In fact, I set one of my 3-string electric cigar box guitars just like Steve's 3-string Trance Wonder.
That looks sick.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
That's pretty damn cool. I'll bookmark it for later, welcome to the pit.
Look! A concise and helpful AND interesting post in the pit!
I'm a real cool kid.
Welcome to the Pit, leave your dignity at the door

Also, that is a sick guitar
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
I was about to ask how it sounds 'cos i was dubious about the quality, but i went to your website and it sounds pretty damn awesome!
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Quote by The Lock
Look! A concise and helpful AND interesting post in the pit!

it must be a trick

everyone protect your groin!!!
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
that's pretty cool. I'll make sure I take a look at your stuff. Welcome to UG!
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Does it sound pretty good distorted? I'd imagine you can get a pretty good Jack White kind of tone out of it.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Does it sound pretty good distorted? I'd imagine you can get a pretty good Jack White kind of tone out of it.

Well, the truth is, there are 1000 ways of building/modding a cigar box guitar (CBG). When I play out, I usually bring along 4 or 5 for a 90 minute set. I have a 3-string slide CBG with a P-90 pickup sunk in the box. It sounds KILLER distorted. I also have a couple with frets and mini humbuckers... and so on...and so on.

As for my main CBG is in the "How to Build" plans, it has an internal piezo pickup that was crafted from a Radio Shack buzzer (wired backwards!) and is good for acoustic stuff. It a feedback bitch if you put any distortion on it.

The cool thing about cigar box guitars is they're so cheap and easy to build. Wanna try to build one with 4 strings? Go for it. Wanna attempt to fill the box with a pine wood block and shove a damn Strat neck on it? It's been done...and it's kinda easy!

For the price of one Paul Reed Smith, I have over 60 cigar box guitars in my arsenal.
Quote by cigarboxguitar
Well, the truth is, there are 1000 ways of building/modding a cigar box guitar (CBG). When I play out, I usually bring along 4 or 5 for a 90 minute set. I have a 3-string slide CBG with a P-90 pickup sunk in the box. It sounds KILLER distorted. I also have a couple with frets and mini humbuckers... and so on...and so on.

As for my main CBG is in the "How to Build" plans, it has an internal piezo pickup that was crafted from a Radio Shack buzzer (wired backwards!) and is good for acoustic stuff. It a feedback bitch if you put any distortion on it.

The cool thing about cigar box guitars is they're so cheap and easy to build. Wanna try to build one with 4 strings? Go for it. Wanna attempt to fill the box with a pine wood block and shove a damn Strat neck on it? It's been done...and it's kinda easy!

For the price of one Paul Reed Smith, I have over 60 cigar box guitars in my arsenal.

Wow... I must say I'm quite won over. I'm gonna build one pretty soon.

Here's a pic of me with my Daddy Mojo. (the guitar was originally 6-strings, but I took wire cutters to the low E. It's tuned open G now...sorta like Keef, but I play in a totally different clawhammer style)

Awesome Shane, welcome. I've bookmarked the link, think I'll give that a go as soon as I get home.
aka, Possum Head on /b
Quote by rocknrollstar
Can it be made into an acoustic?

Does it hold tune well?
How high is the action?
This is awesome. Cigars and guitars two of my favourites

The plans on my site (original link in this thread) is for a fully acoustic cigar box guitar. In those plans, the action is kinda high for slide...and also, the neck is fretless (frets are woodburned on). However, a short google search or a few minutes spent at www.cigarboxnation.com will net you ideas on how to make a fully acoustic, fretted instrument with low action.

That's the cool thing about these instruments...you can build one to fit whatever personality you have. There's also another cool thing about them: as you build them, you start to get song ideas for them even before you string them up.

Oh, and they hold tune just fine. I've done full 3-hour bar band sets with mine.

Welcome to your new addiction.

shane
Quote by ChucklesMginty

In future custom builds and the like have their own forum, there's also a 'Promote your band' forum and an 'Original Recordings' sub-forum.

Happy UGing.

Sorry about that. I'm still learning my way around here. I just found the Building forum and re-started this topic there. I will, however, keep up with chatter in here, too.
shouldnt this be in gear building forum, also nice guitar
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.