Page 1 of 2
Welcome to the DISCERNING Line 6 users thread, for info on all of your favorite higher end Line 6 gear! Which, if you didn't know included:

The Vetta! Boasting oodles and oodles of amp, cab and effects models (most of them pretty great tbh). It's a knob groupie's wet dream. Currently my favorite amp, it takes a bit to dial in some good tones (presets are pretty good, but there are a ton of tone shaping options), but when you do, oh man, it's great. Two amps at once is a great feature, especially if you have another cab.

The Line 6 HD147. Not to be confused with the Spider HD150, this amp is actually GOOD. Very shiny to boot. Kind of like a cross between the Vetta and a Flextone as far as interface and sound goes. Lovely amp for metal and hard rock.

What? You need a cheap (er) amp that can do it all? Try the Flextone. Based on POD tech, it (to me, at least) sounds leagues better than the Spider, Vypyr, and Cube lines.

So, discuss Line 6! The good, the bad, etc. This would also be a good place for patch sharing.

EDIT: A bit behind here, seeing as I started my Pre-Med studies two days ago. Let's hope my Vetta can stay strong for fours years, when I can actually play it again.
Last edited by BeethovensBust at Aug 25, 2009,
Well, um, first post in the thread. I know that NIN used Vetta II during their last tour (plus pretty big pedalboards).
BTW, the Vetta I software can be upgraded to Vetta II software.
That NIN tour kicked ass. I saw them in Hamilton and what a show! The Vetta's sounded fine to me. lol.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
the HD147 is my Fave because its shiny
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
the HD147 is my Fave because its shiny

+1

I'm not too jazzed about the Line 6 amps in general, though, mostly because I've never had an opportunity to try a higher-end one. The Axe-FX interests me more than the Vetta or the HD147.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
+1

I'm not too jazzed about the Line 6 amps in general, though, mostly because I've never had an opportunity to try a higher-end one. The Axe-FX interests me more than the Vetta or the HD147.

Not a fair comparison considering it costs bucketloads more cash imo.
WTLTL 2011
The Vetta II is $1700 new and the Axe-FX is $1400...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D

Am I discerning? I got the 150 instead of the inferior 15...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta

isnt the Axe FX just a pre amp?
so youi need another power amp to go with it which cost 700 or so
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I dunno, I read the Axe-FX manual just out of interest, and I kinda thought that the "very realistic" amp models were the selling point, the modulation didn't seem too interesting. The Vetta appeals to me a lot more, besides, it's not some stupid rack thingy, but an actual amp!
Where's the Line6 Axsys love? I know they don't make them anymore, but they're the Pre-Vetta Vetta! They're the reason we have the Flextone series. And they actually sound really nice, and not digital (I would know, I have one )
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
I don't see where all the Flextone love comes from TBH. The lead guitarist in my band has one and it's alright. The crunch tones are pretty poor IMO. I can really hear the digital-ness. Hi gain stuff is fine, but he never uses it cos thats not the sort of music we play. The cleans are ok and the effects are nice and the shortboard is impressive, but I really do prefer my Valvetronix. It just sound far less digital to me.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
I recently picked up an HD147. Its awesome. I have upgraded from a spider III to a flextone, and now to the HD147. I still have to get it all dialed in, but its awesome.

No the Spider III HD150 does not make you diserning. You just bought a low end amp with more power!

Spider valve... MAYBE. I have liked that amp when I played it, but it doesn't hold a candle to the flextone, vetta, or HD147.

:-D
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
I recently picked up an HD147. Its awesome. I have upgraded from a spider III to a flextone, and now to the HD147. I still have to get it all dialed in, but its awesome.

No the Spider III HD150 does not make you diserning. You just bought a low end amp with more power!

Spider valve... MAYBE. I have liked that amp when I played it, but it doesn't hold a candle to the flextone, vetta, or HD147.

:-D

You guys make me laugh, and not for the reason you'd think.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta

most kids buy the vetta used. as low as 400 bone. Axe fx used is still pricey

hd147 and vettaII = <3
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Flextone love right here. Have it and gig with it. I've found that the digital-ness can be fixed by adding a little bit of chorus, and also by spending some quality time with the EQ.
--

--
Don't get me wrong, the Vettas are great and all, but the Axe-FX is higher on the GAS totem pole. I'd take either if given the opportunity...

Also, the Axe-FX doesn't need a power amp, but sounds better with one.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I'm going to hopefully be running a tube poweramp with my Flextone soon. I just need to find one for teh cheaps...
--

--
Quote by Raijouta
+1

the vetta and the HD147 have dirt retail value though, you can get them WAY less than an axe fx.

if anyone wants good XT tones for metal, call me up
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
the vetta and the HD147 have dirt retail value though, you can get them WAY less than an axe fx.

if anyone wants good XT tones for metal, call me up

What do you have? Any great bogner or diezel patches? Are you using the Metal Shop add in?
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by stratman_13

Then what would the reason be?

I have nothing against spiders. I owned one, and for the money its pretty good amp. Just not anything to write home about.

That would be like asking if owning a marshall MG head would qualify you to be in a group of high end marshall heads such as the JCM or JVM series.

I'm not hating on the guys Spider III HD150, Its just not one of Line 6 high end amps.
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
Then what would the reason be?

I have nothing against spiders. I owned one, and for the money its pretty good amp. Just not anything to write home about.

That would be like asking if owning a marshall MG head would qualify you to be in a group of high end marshall heads such as the JCM or JVM series.

I'm not hating on the guys Spider III HD150, Its just not one of Line 6 high end amps.

Dude. Really?

Read his signature...

Quote by tubetime's sig
SF Bassman 100

He has a silverface Bassman.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Aug 24, 2009,
hey nutinpwnsgibson, i got the pod xt live and need some good metal tones without the damn metal pack (havent bothered ponsing parents into getting it) and i could only find a few decent ones on the site.
Heavy metal tones would be much appreciated >: D
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
What do you have? Any great bogner or diezel patches? Are you using the Metal Shop add in?

i didn't like the bogner or the diezel model that much myself, maybe its just my setup. and yes, i use a couple from the metal shop, such as the big bottom, triple rec, and 5150

EDIT: anythony, i remembered that you have the HD147. the xt tones don't work with the HD147, unfortunately

max: PM me your email address and i'll send the tones your way
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by stratman_13

Dude. Really?

Read his signature...

He has a silverface Bassman.

Fair enough I missed that. I don't mean to come off like a douchebag. I have had tons of gear, and I still have tons of gear.

I spend 95 percent of my playing time at home by myself and Line 6 gear works really well for me. I know its not for everyone, but its for me right now.

That is until one day I can afford a Mark V.

MMMMMM mark V with my PRS hollowbody.
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
As I said in the previous line6 failthread, if you have a flextone, the solo 100 channel with high mids, semihighs mids and a little of bass and reverb is the only thing you will ever need for your lead tone.

Suggestions on a good chuggy rythm tone?
Quote by Zaio
As I said in the previous line6 failthread, if you have a flextone, the solo 100 channel with high mids, semihighs mids and a little of bass and reverb is the only thing you will ever need for your lead tone.

That model is based off of the SLO, right?
Also, good chug= Treadplate, Diezel or Bogner models. Delicious indeed.
Who cares about the amps when Line6 makes such awesome effects like the DL4/FM4 and Verbzilla. All praise to Line6!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Zaio

Which amp? L6 big bottom is awesome for rhytmn tone. I think I am close to locking in a good Lamb of God rhythmn tone. Which to me... is awesome.
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
so the valve isnt gettin any love in here
i LOVE taylor swift...oyes in a creepy way
Quote by Zaio

unfortunately the flextone doesnt have the big bottom model, but you could try the treadplate one that should do the trick
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
I had a flextone before upgrading to the HD147.
I really liked the treadplate models on my flextone.

Can you give me an idea of a band or guitarist rythmn tone you are looking for?

Do you have a midi cable to download patches from Custom Tone?
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by stratman_13

shut up or im going to disern your face.
Stratman was just pointing out that I was just 'taking the piss' as you Brits say. Sorry, I won't do it again, I acknowledge that high end Line 6 gear is good stuff.

Discussion: Do the Line 6 amps that claim to have a 'Bogner power amp' really have a Bogner style power amp, or just a power amp made by Bogner for Line 6? (I know they are both the same company but obviously their product lines have very little overlap.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
bogner made the pre,power amp and everything except the line 6 modeling part...haha yea EVERYONE seems to forget bogners part in making the spider valve
i LOVE taylor swift...oyes in a creepy way
I think a Vetta might be nice to have, but one thing I know for sure is i'll always have my Variax 700 and a POD XT Live or above.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Steeze
shut up or im going to disern your face.

Oh, did I say something over the internet that offended you? I'm so sorry.

And don't make your title be "UG Senior Member" when you joined in '09. And if you are a senior member, but are a multi, you're going to be permabanned.

And next time, when you want to make a threat, spell the word right .

Anyways. Back to the actual thread. Bogner designed the pre and the power, but there's nothing truly Bogner about it.

I'd like the option of bypassing all of the Line6 circuitry, though. That, I think, could open up the amp's possibilities.
--

--
Page 1 of 2