Hi,

I'm a newbie to tube amps and just got a "Fender Pro Jr.".
I really like the sound of the amp but I'm not sure if there is everything
ok with it.
The amp seems to get pretty hot when its turned on.
Is that normal? Since I played only digital amps before I don't know if this is normal.

Thx for your help
Dan
Yeah, the tubes will get pretty hot. If those amp are biased hot like the blues jrs then they can get very hot. As long as you don't smell burning you're alright. You might want to blow a fan on it while it's on just to keep it cool.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
yeah, this is normal. like Saale said, if you smell burning, then there's a problem. you can get amps biased a little cooler, but it robs the amps of it's dymanic IMO. there was nice little explanation in Guitar World's Tech Ed a while back.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
^I disagree on that point. My Blues Jr is biased a fair bit cooler than stock (but consequently closer to the tube's spec) and I think it sounds much better. I feel like there's more clarity and better dynamics.

I do agree that amps tend to sound better when biased slightly hotter, but bias on BJrs and PJr is crazy. When you go too far the sound can get overly spongey and muddy.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
^I disagree on that point. My Blues Jr is biased a fair bit cooler than stock (but consequently closer to the tube's spec) and I think it sounds much better. I feel like there's more clarity and better dynamics.

I do agree that amps tend to sound better when biased slightly hotter, but bias on BJrs and PJr is crazy. When you go too far the sound can get overly spongey and muddy.

that's why those three little letters are awesome
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
hmmm... ok, the amp is totaly new, but it smells a little burned after a while....
Can i change the bias by myself?
Last edited by Tyler Durden CH at Aug 24, 2009,
That depends on two things: if the Pro Jr. has a bias pot already installed, and if you have/can get a multimeter.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??