I was wondering if anyone could supply some input in diagnosing a Bugera 6262 head. This unit is for sale and I'm considering buying it, but I wanted to know exactly what I would be getting into.

The seller claims that the power tubes aren't lighting up at all. But that all of the preamp tubes work fine. Is this symptomatic of the transformer clip frying as is very common on these amps, or could it be something more major like the transformer itself?

The amp is in another state and I can't inspect it first. I'm mechanically inclined and I'm not intimidated by making the transformer clip fix, but I really don't want to get in over my head more than that--other than making the bias adjustments.

Also, what would be a fair amount to pay for the head in it's present condition? Many thanks to all who reply.
Honestly, it's not really worth even selling in a broken state. I doubt you'd be able to get over $200 for it, broken, considering that head sells for, what, $550 brand new?

I'd give it a look inside, if it's the transformer clip, it's about a 15 minute fix. If it's anything else, and you're still under warranty, send it back to Bugera to get it fixed and either keep it or sell it off. In my opinion, either way, it's not worth selling broken.
he's not selling it^............

Offer him $200 but understand its a roll of the dice. The clip issue has been blown way outa proportion, thats not the only issue.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Thanks for the reply, whiteraven. I appreciate it. I think I should have been more clear in my initial post, though. I am not the seller, I'm considering buying the amp, if it seems likely that the problem is indeed the transformer clip, which I feel confident in being able to fix.

If the description of the problem points to a more major repair, I'm going to steer clear of it. I don't know if the preamp tubes would work if the transformer was shot?

Since I would be the second owner, I doubt that any warranty would exist.

I've only owned solid state amps and I was hoping to get into a valve rig for inexpensively if possible. I don't mind resurrecting broken equipment, I just don't want to get into a situation where I would be throwing good money after bad.

The seller wants $250 for it. I was considering offering him $150 at the most, depending on what opinions I get here. I know that there's alot of knowledge on this site and I would take the opinions that I get here to heart. Thanks again for the reply.
Thanks occub, I guess you posted while I was typing my response to whiteraven.

That's kind of what is making me gunshy about the head, the fact that there are other issues apparently, although the clip seems to be the most prevalent one.

As I said, I've only had solid state amps, I don't know if the preamp tubes would still work as claimed if the transformer was blown. Or how much a replacement transformer would cost in that case?
Quote by chrisgt
Thanks occub, I guess you posted while I was typing my response to whiteraven.

That's kind of what is making me gunshy about the head, the fact that there are other issues apparently, although the clip seems to be the most prevalent one.

As I said, I've only had solid state amps, I don't know if the preamp tubes would still work as claimed if the transformer was blown. Or how much a replacement transformer would cost in that case?

Just lowball the guy, if you get it for dirt cheap and spend a small amount to get it working then........ score for you.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
not sure if it's a transformer clip problem. Sounds more like a tube problem, the part of the tube that lights up are heater filaments whose power supply comes from one of the power transformer taps that is clipped, however, the preamp and power amp tubes should all share the same tap as all the heaters are wired in parallel, thus a transformer/clip problem with that specific tap would not result in preamp tubes working properly and power amp tubes not working properly.
Thanks al112987, that's an interesting bit of info. I will try to get some more information from the seller about the circumstances that it happened under, i.e. arcing, etc. For now, this is a quote of what I've got from him:

The MAIN problem is that my power tubes aren't lighting up, I dont know if miraculously all the power tubes went out, or its a problem wiring wise. The preamp tubes work just fine, no problem with those. The last problem which isn't THAT big but it could warrant whether you want it or not. The input jack is snapped off because they use a plastic input connector and my friend stepped on my cable during a show. It still works fine, the connection is secure inside, so it still works I was using it still until the power tube problem occured.

Don't know if that helps any?
its the transformer clip. when that clip frys the power tubes will not light up at all. sometimes it takes the fuses out as well.
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Thanks Houseboy. I'll take that as the definitive word on things unless someone has further input. Hopefully I'll be able to get it and get the fix accomplished easily.

The next step would be to find or build a cabinet. I have no idea where to start as far as that goes--I have only owned combos (Laneys mostly). Those are60 watt 2x10 combo's, I guess I could possibly use that as a cabinet if the impedances are compatible with the Bugera.

At least until I could save up for a proper cabinet, but I'm clueless in terms of speaker choices, etc. I don't play alot of really hardcore stuff. The hardest it gets for me is AC/DC, Metallica. I've been trying to learn more Billy Gibbons, bluesy stuff, etc. I've got a buddy with a Crate Palomino that has a great tone IMO, playing an Epi Wildkat. I think the crate has a Celestion or Eminence?