I'm a busy college guy. I love music. And I wanna play my fav songs myself. I'm just for casual playing.. Nothing serious. Not the next-bethoven... Just me & chicks

My problem is, I don't have time to go for guitar classes with an instructor. My plan is to buy a new guitar and see if I can learn it online. Can u experts please clarify these doubts:

1) Are classes from a pro instructor necessary ?
2) I've fat-fingers. Big fingers. Wud it be possible for me to cruise the frets ?
3) Is learning chords enough to get me going ?
4) Are there sites to get fast basic knowledge of music theory... just enough to get by ?
5) If I get Apple's Garageband guitar lessons, is it better than web resources ?

I know thats a lot of questions. Obviously, I'm not particular on getting all that solved. Million thanks in advance for every bit of help I get.
1) No but recommended alot!
2) With practice you'll be doing good
3) Well learning chord is basic, depends on what you play. You could start with this, then how to "pimp" chords,etc.
4) Yes, millions of sites. Just go on the UG lesson section
5) It's easier but not enough, trust me!

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Quote by techroach
I'm a busy college guy. I love music. And I wanna play my fav songs myself. I'm just for casual playing.. Nothing serious. Not the next-bethoven... Just me & chicks

My problem is, I don't have time to go for guitar classes with an instructor. My plan is to buy a new guitar and see if I can learn it online. Can u experts please clarify these doubts:

2) I've fat-fingers. Big fingers. Wud it be possible for me to cruise the frets ?
4) Are there sites to get fast basic knowledge of music theory... just enough to get by ?
5) If I get Apple's Garageband guitar lessons, is it better than web resources ?

I know thats a lot of questions. Obviously, I'm not particular on getting all that solved. Million thanks in advance for every bit of help I get.

1) It's highly recommended, but it's not required no. It still might be an idea to get a couple lessons at some point down the road just to make sure there isn't anything horribly wrong with your playing.

2) Finger size is largely irrelevant. Long fingers, short fingers, fat fingers, skinny fingers, they all come with advantages and disadvantages.

3) Yeah, chords are a good place to start.

4) Plenty. Go buy "The Chord Wheel" you can find it on amazon. It's a really quick and easy way to reference the circle of 5ths (in other words, what chords are contained in each key and which ones go best together.

5) Not better, but it could be an easier way to go. There are thousands of lessons on the web, many of them bad, so it tends to require a lot of searching through this site and youtube for the good stuff.
Having a teacher is not mandatory, but it will help you progress much faster. I can't see how time would be an issue, given that a lesson would typically take 30 minutes per week. You'd spend far more than that just practicing if you want to learn to play. Having a teacher just helps you make the most efficient use of your time by helping you to focus your studies.

That said, there are loads of resources for learning guitar online. Go to YouTube and look up Pebber Brown and Justin Sandercoe for free online lessons.
Quote by icronic
1) It's highly recommended, but it's not required no. It still might be an idea to get a couple lessons at some point down the road just to make sure there isn't anything horribly wrong with your playing.

2) Finger size is largely irrelevant. Long fingers, short fingers, fat fingers, skinny fingers, they all come with advantages and disadvantages.

3) Yeah, chords are a good place to start.

4) Plenty. Go buy "The Chord Wheel" you can find it on amazon. It's a really quick and easy way to reference the circle of 5ths (in other words, what chords are contained in each key and which ones go best together.

5) Not better, but it could be an easier way to go. There are thousands of lessons on the web, many of them bad, so it tends to require a lot of searching through this site and youtube for the good stuff.

I agree with this.

You don't need a guitarteacher, but have one evaluate ur playing over time will help.

If after a few months a teacher sees no errors, then it means you can learn to play on your own.

I'd like to add something to ur 2nd point.

Some licks are hard to play, even if ur playing long.

I have been playing quite long, but some stretches that vai and gilbert make are very hard to do, without getting string noise. ( I have small hands/short fingers)

Satch also has a lick which is crazy hard to play because of the distance, but I forgot where.

This will occur very rarely, so don't worry about it, but if you come across a lick with insane stretch then don't worry either.

Last note to TS;

If you have a webcam or other video recording source, you can record ur playing, and put it in Guitar techniques.

There's a thread dedicated to us evaluating one's playing, and helping out.

Don't be afraid to post, noone will make fun off it, and if they do I mind**** them till they get so aggravated that they get banned for going crazy, or run off and cry

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Aug 24, 2009,
1. No, most definately not. As long as you can keep motivated, there are plenty of sites to learn from. You will really be suprised with how fast you will pick things up if you PRACTICE EVERYDAY and KEEP MOTIVATED!!. There is a free beginner course at justinguitar.com . This is a very good place to start.

2. Nah. This won't be a problem with practice.

3. Learning chords is where you should start. It'll help you get better finger dexterity and you should be able to strum a few simple songs in a couple of weeks.

4. Musictheory.net

5. Start off with the beginners course at justinguitar.com . It's FREE and will give you more than enough to get started with.
Last edited by MechMike at Aug 24, 2009,
The biggest problem I have with guitar lessons is the cost. They are very expensive... if you have a friend that can teach you or something then great... but if not, you have to be able to pay for them

I've been fiddling with a old classical guitar for over 15 years... on and off and really never learned how to play. I have a new steel string now and i'm finally going to take lessons. Better late than never

It also depends on how you learn.. some people can just sit down with online lessons and pick it up... i've been told by many that you don't need a teacher, you just need to play around with the guitar. That never worked for me... for me having somebody direct my practice and my focus will be a huge benefit.
Quote by techroach

1. No, but they help.
2. Micheal Romeo.
3. Sure, If you want the chicks though, you gotta be able to sing with them though.
4. UG dude.
5. Dunno.
Thanks guys... I'm checking those links out. And thats good enough motivation for me to just hear that its not necessary to have an instructor. I need to pick a new guitar. Acoustic is better to start than electric rite ?
as every one has said you dont need lessons but it probaply does help abit, im self tought and im good enough but not great and ive been playing 2yrs and for online and dvd lesson look for lick library i find they are really good.
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
I just started taking guitar at my college. It's an hour of theory and an hour of learning chords and other stuff.. it's been really helpful. i've been just sweeping and stuff and now i can find ways to incorporate that into my playing while getting some credits for my associates.
I would say private lessons would ideal, but not necessary. With the use of the internet you can really get a lot of help on what you are looking to learn or where to get started. I would say join communities like UG for help. I also recently joined Fret12 because a lot of my favorite guitarists contribute there and the community seems as helpful as this one.

And don't forget about instructional DVD's, they have helped me a lot as well.
I was in exactly the same position you are. I went away to college and didn't have much time or money for lessons and so I decided to try and learn on my own with the internet. It takes a lot of time and a lot of practice but you can definitely do it on your own if you've got passion and if you're having fun while you do it. I suggest finding songs you enjoy which are fairly easy to play and finding the tabs here on UG.

Definately not necessary. Can be a lot of fun and very rewarding though. Depends on your time, money and motivation.

Hell yes. Yngwie Malmsteen, Shawn Lane, Allan Holdsworth.

Hell yes.

Sure. My youtube theory lessons and the information from this site.

I very much doubt it's better than GOOD web resources. Check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddYcxWtB580
Quote by dustbot
Having a teacher is not mandatory, but it will help you progress much faster. I can't see how time would be an issue, given that a lesson would typically take 30 minutes per week. You'd spend far more than that just practicing if you want to learn to play. Having a teacher just helps you make the most efficient use of your time by helping you to focus your studies.

That said, there are loads of resources for learning guitar online. Go to YouTube and look up Pebber Brown and Justin Sandercoe for free online lessons.

http://www.justinguitar.com/

Great online guitar lessons, look at the begginers course, really, really great online guitar lessons, plus, they're completely FREE.