Hello everyone im new to these forums so i will keep this short

i have $300 with me and am looking for a new amp as an upgrade from my 10Watt practise amp that I got with an epiphone-G400 that I purchased.

I was wondering what would be a good amp for that price. I listen to and try to play everything but mostly am into Metal these days.

A friend told me to buy the line 6 spider or something...but ive been checking out these forums and people are talking about something like a "tube" amp...

Can anyone help?

im not a pro guitarist or anything...if u would really like to know i started 4 months ago
Quote by craigcochrane
Your Mom Satisfies Me Most
Last edited by Shredderofdeath at Aug 24, 2009,
lol, Line 6 spider - Great amps (sarcasm), anyway look into the Vox AC4
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by loves2sp00ge
line 6 spider is a good intermediate amp.

Line 6 don't make good anything amps
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by Jak Archer
lol, Line 6 spider - Great amps (sarcasm), anyway look into the Vox AC4

Are vod ad30vt's good? i saw one in a shop and it looked nice
Quote by craigcochrane
^ no (to the line 6 comment)

if you really wanted effects in an amp, get a new Vibrochamp (5W) for $200 or a super champ (15W) for $300. better quality, better reliability, better tone.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 24, 2009,
Line 6 are just a little bit terrible. A Roland 30x or 60x would be good but it's not a tube amp so I'm not sure if that's what your after. Vox are good
Vypyr 30 and a Sampera pedal. Or a Fender Super Champ XD. Personally I like the SCXD better, but the Vypyr might suit you.
save up an extra hundred or two if you can, the wait will be worth it

do NOT buy a Line 6 spyder

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by pigeonmafia

yes, they do. but the spider's are such terrible amps they give the whole company a bad rep.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
ok so far i have the :

1) Blackstar Ht-5

2) Vox AC4

3) Peavy Vypyr 30

Those three.. I think the first two are tube amps but the peavey is a digital amp right? what's the main difference anyway....????

I didn't see any effects or anything on the first two amps..just a button for gain ...i have that on my 10 watt too.
Quote by craigcochrane
Quote by Shredderofdeath
ok so far i have the :

1) Blackstar Ht-5

2) Vox AC4

3) Peavy Vypyr 30

Those three.. I think the first two are tube amps but the peavey is a digital amp right? what's the main difference anyway....????

I didn't see any effects or anything on the first two amps..just a button for gain ...i have that on my 10 watt too.

Tube amps will sound better, they have vacuume tubes to amplifiy your signal, where as digital amps shape your signal via computer chips.

A high end tube amp will sound better then a high end Modeller, then again it will be pretty hard to tell the differance since there are great modellers out there.

I would suggest the HT-5 if you want better tone, the Vypyr is ok i guess but it lacks good tone. There'as the HT-5 blows out many 15 watted tube amps out of the water according to most people as opposed to the Vypyr.

I would strongly suggest getting a small tube amp, such as the HT-5 or AC4.
The HT-5 is more tweekable and is pretty verciltile, it can even get up to Metallica level gain just byitself.
I would recommend the Vox AD range, too, if it's a practice amp there's no point in really having a tube amp.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by Jhachey22
yes, they do. but the spider's are such terrible amps they give the whole company a bad rep.

Okay, it was a bit of a sweeping generalisation. I said it more to just get any thoughts of buying a line 6 spider out of the TS's mind
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
Okay, it was a bit of a sweeping generalisation. I said it more to just get any thoughts of buying a line 6 spider out of the TS's mind

okay okay, I WONT be buying a line 6 ...or even walking near one

happy?

I was checking out some new amps though and the Vox VT30 caught my interest. Apparently it's a hybrid tube amp? The Blackstar Ht-5 has more tone but no effects though

The Blackstar Ht-5 is like $400 though...damn I'll have to save up..and then I will need a processor for effects since the amp itself has only gain options

but if I buy a simple digital amp for like 299 I can buy a processor as well...what do you guys think?

EDIT: I'm thinking of getting a Blackstar Ht-5 sometime soon, but first I'd like to know if it would be suitable for playing metal on (In Flames, Arch Enemy, Metallica, etc) or would it need some kind of boost? And if so, would a Boss DS1 do the job or would it sound crappy?
Quote by craigcochrane
Last edited by Shredderofdeath at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by Shredderofdeath
okay okay, I WONT be buying a line 6 ...or even walking near one

happy?

I was checking out some new amps though and the Vox VT30 caught my interest. Apparently it's a hybrid tube amp? The Blackstar Ht-5 has more tone but no effects though

The Blackstar Ht-5 is like $400 though...damn I'll have to save up..and then I will need a processor for effects since the amp itself has only gain options

but if I buy a simple digital amp for like 299 I can buy a processor as well...what do you guys think?

EDIT: I'm thinking of getting a Blackstar Ht-5 sometime soon, but first I'd like to know if it would be suitable for playing metal on (In Flames, Arch Enemy, Metallica, etc) or would it need some kind of boost? And if so, would a Boss DS1 do the job or would it sound crappy?

VT30 is a hybrid tube amp. it has only one preamp tube, which really does not affect the overall tone. it is a good amp, though. definitely deserves some consideration.

don't worry about built in effects for an amp. more often than not, they are of poor quality and are just a cheap add on to entice players into getting the amp. the HT5 would be a good choice, from what ive heard. you may need a boost for metal. i found it had enough gain on tap, but you may find that it wont.

as for the DS-1, you should look into Overdrives (ODs), not distortions. a distortion pedal clips the signal differently than an OD pedal, and it doesn't really boost the amp as much as it just muddies things up. if you already have a DS-1 and want to use it, i'd suggest going for a mild overdrive setting on the amp in conjunction with the DS1 to prevent muddiness, but then you would be getting most of your tone from the DS1, which would defeat the purpose of having a nice quality amp.

there are some nice, cheaply priced OD on the market today to chose from. Danelectro's Cool Cat Drive and Transparent Overdrives are really good for the price. but if you pick up the Trans OD, go for the V1 with the gold label instead of the newer black label. it sounds much better IMO. another popular boost is the Digitech Bad Monkey. it's a really cheap alternative to a tubescreamer. one pedal i like for boost that not too many other people like is the Boss SD1. it's pretty cheap, and it gets the job done. also look into a DOD 250. you could also probably find a used MXR Distortion+ for around $40-$50.

if you want to get closer to the $100 mark for ODs, look into the Boss BD2 Blues Driver, the Ibanez TS9, the MXR GTOD and ZW44 wylde OD, Hardwire CM2 tube OD, T-Rex Tonebug OD or a Visual Sound Route 808.

hope this helped.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
thank you so much; i'll probably end up getting one of the above mentioned amps. gonna visit the shop today...line 6 sounds crappy..but like i mentioned its super cheap compared to all the other amps..but hey if i can spend $50 more i can get a better sounding amp...thanks for your advice else i was gonna end up buying a line 6..
Quote by craigcochrane
Quote by Shredderofdeath
thank you so much; i'll probably end up getting one of the above mentioned amps. gonna visit the shop today...line 6 sounds crappy..but like i mentioned its super cheap compared to all the other amps..but hey if i can spend $50 more i can get a better sounding amp...thanks for your advice else i was gonna end up buying a line 6..

glad i could help. hopefully we see a NAD in the future
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by pigeonmafia

TS, I would save up, because you don't get many good tube amps for that price.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!