I use DR strings gauges 10-52

About how many times will it take for my strings to snap?

I'm going on a record of 3 or 4 times back and forth without breaking.

I was gonna try to learn Pull the Plug but I'm scared of my strings snapping since I need to stay in E until I finish up Holy Wars.

Anyhow...is there anyway to help stop my strings from breaking when I tune up and down?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
If they're new strings there should be absolutely no problem. Once they get older, go nice and slowly. Give the strings breaks while turning to tension, maybe even a little bend behind the nut to make sure it's still got some loveslack. You should be able to go far more than 3-4 times.
4 times? That's pretty feeble

Try using pencil lead in the nut slots, and tune slowly?
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I use the same strings as you, and I can tune back and forth as much as I want to. I have never snapped a string when tuning.

On the other hand, I change strings often.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Small changes like that won't snap the strings, you ought to be more concerned about the truss rod.
^The truss rod isn't going to be bothered at all by that change.

TS, if you tune slowly, you should be able to go about ten times.
Quote by Baby Joel
^The truss rod isn't going to be bothered at all by that change.

TS, if you tune slowly, you should be able to go about ten times.

I didn't know how fast you turn the tuning head mattered.

So if you tune slower it's better for the strings?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
I change tunings all the time and my strings never break... In fact I haven't broken a string in like, the last 3 sets I've had... weird...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I don't know what kind of strings I use, but the only string I ever broke was my G string after my baby brother had tuned it lower than a bass could possibly go and make a sound, then 2 hours after I had tuned it up it just broke like scissors had just run through it. Other than that I tune from E to Drop D, C, even B, and back all the time with no problems at all, and the guitar is 20 years old with the original strings (other than the G of course).
Quote by biga29
I change tunings all the time and my strings never break... In fact I haven't broken a string in like, the last 3 sets I've had... weird...

Hm

I change my tunings quite frequently and for a period of times my strings broke quicker than usual.

Asked here before and everyone came to the conclusion that I was changing tunings to often.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
I really dont think changing tunings will do much, if anything, to the strings. Think about how many times you can do a full step bend on your high E string while in E standard.... Do your strings snap WHILE you are tuning up/down or when playing?
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by Aarox
I don't know what kind of strings I use, but the only string I ever broke was my G string after my baby brother had tuned it lower than a bass could possibly go and make a sound, then 2 hours after I had tuned it up it just broke like scissors had just run through it. Other than that I tune from E to Drop D, C, even B, and back all the time with no problems at all, and the guitar is 20 years old with the original strings (other than the G of course).

You haven't changed the strings for 20 years!?
was just thinking the same thing haha

when i had an ltd m-50 with a floyd rose, the G and B strings broke down by the saddle occasionally but thats the only trouble ive had with strings randomly breaking. like the others said, put a little graphite (penci lead) on the nut where it touches the string and just go smooth and slow when going up or down a step.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

I switch between E, D, C# standard, Drop D/C/B, sometimes in the same day and I haven't snapped a string in over a year.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
I used to tune back and forth A LOT. d'addarios, I tuned back and forth between drop c, drop d and standard probably 2 or 3 times a day, I haven't had a string break in about two years and I play every day for at least an hour, usually 3 or more.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
As long as you tune your strings down and up slowly, there shouldn't be a problem.

If your strings are like three months old and they snap, then that's not all that surprising (it's recommended that the average player change strings once per month.) However, if you have only had your strings a week, then you are probably tuning way too fast.

Usually, if your strings break while tuning, its way past time to get some new strings.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
They won't snap.

Think of the 100's of bends you can do, which change tension within a tenth of a second. Adding a vibrato a la Zakk Wylde on a bend note, is going between tensions 10 times a second as well or so.

You'll be perfectly fine TS.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
They won't snap.

Think of the 100's of bends you can do, which change tension within a tenth of a second. Adding a vibrato a la Zakk Wylde on a bend note, is going between tensions 10 times a second as well or so.

You'll be perfectly fine TS.

Don't forget about the massive dive bombs.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I use DR strings gauges 10-52

About how many times will it take for my strings to snap?

I'm going on a record of 3 or 4 times back and forth without breaking.

I was gonna try to learn Pull the Plug but I'm scared of my strings snapping since I need to stay in E until I finish up Holy Wars.

Anyhow...is there anyway to help stop my strings from breaking when I tune up and down?

You should be able to re-tune your guitar waayyyy more than 3-4 times without a string snapping! Sure, changing strings regularly helps but it sounds like you have a problem either at the bridge or the nut. A sharp edge on either and you get the problem youre having. Where the string snaps should indicate where the problem is. You'll either need the nut re-cut or give the bridge saddle(s) a gentle filing. Best however would be to replace the nut or bridge depending on which is causing the problem. Maybe best done by a qualified guitar tech if you havn't done it before and hardly expensive if you're breaking strings that often.

Good luck!
Well my strings are on my guitar for 2 months now and i've changed the tuning at least 8-9 times...Then again i use daddarios
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.