Hey all,

I'm interested in getting a new slide and wanted some ideas before I go to try some out. Currently I have a 2 dollar glass slide that just doesn't cut it and want a good one.
I will use it for hard/classic rock (A few GNR songs, ZZ Top and some others) but also for a little bit of blues. So, I have threee questions

1. Which material would suit best (glass, chrome, bronze).

2. Which material will sound good with my guitars, Gibson LP Standard and a Tradition G12.

3. What is the average price I might end up paying (for a good one in its respective material)

Even other suggestions or comments would be appreciated

Nightrain
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Last edited by Its So Easy at Aug 24, 2009,
are you sure your slide is glass and not Pyrex?

glass - mellow, warm tone
ceramic - brighter than glass, mellower then metal
metal - bright, cutting

a good slide should cost no more than $15.

who do you want to sound like? ZZ Top? Slash? Lynyrd Skynyrd? Derek Trucks? that would be helpful.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22

metal - bright, cutting

a good slide should cost no more than $15.

who do you want to sound like? ZZ Top? Slash? Lynyrd Skynyrd? Derek Trucks? that would be helpful.

Well slash would be #1 choice. Not Skynryd and yes ZZ Top.
Quote by axethrower13

Quote by ozzyismetal

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
then metal would be a good choice. brass is a good choice, it's cheap. you can probably pick one up for under $10.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Thanks guys.
Quote by axethrower13

Quote by ozzyismetal

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Quote by Jhachey22

metal - bright, cutting

I don't find this to be the case. Thickness of the wall is a huge factor, too.

You also have to separate brass from steel.

Glass doesn't necessarily have a warm tone, but it's generally smoother sounding without a high treble spike, like steel. It's also a lot lighter than other materials, and is ideal for beginners.

Steel is also a great beginner slide because it's bright and because the surface is highly polished chrome. It's still easy to maneuver and get the sound you want. Unfortunately, they only make steel with one wall thickness and one ring size (as far as I know, Dunlop only has the 222), so it might not be the best choice for all situations.

Brass is really not a good idea for a beginner, mainly because the thicker ones are heavy and the thinner ones are more difficult to control than their glass and steel counterparts. Mainly because the finish on the brass slide will wear off almost immediately, which will make the sound very scratchy, almost like nails on a chalk board for a while, before it gets broken in. When they're broken in, they tend to sound very dull, and the are much slower and raspier than steel or glass.

Ceramic or porcelain is not a good idea for the a first slide, because it's very large and very difficult to manage. It's not really suited well for electric either, because of those factors. It really sounds best on a guitar with really heavy strings.

Heavier strings need a heavier slide.
Quote by kyle62
Have a look at the Joe Perry 'Boneyard' slide:

http://www.mitros-music.com/images/products/3085.jpg

A little overpriced, but a great rock/blues slide all the same. The porous lining is nice, and the porcelain is a good compromise between bright and mellow.

The Dunlop Moonshine slide is much better than that piece of ****.
Quote by Jhachey22
then metal would be a good choice. brass is a good choice, it's cheap. you can probably pick one up for under $10.

Brass ain't any cheaper than steel. The only slide I've ever paid more than 8 bucks for is the Dunlop Blues Bottle. Great slide, but it's 12 bucks.

I'm just going to take the top off an old beer bottle.
wow triple post, im impressed.

and i personally love joe perrys boneyard slide.

but just go to your local music store and ask them if you can try out some slides. they should be more than happy to help.

personally, i dont like steel slides very much, except when im going for a specific sound, and usually when im playing my resophonic guitar.

i usually use a pyrex slide on electric. sometimes i use a brass slide, which i also really like.
however, i recommend the cordicin bottle slide the most. next time i see them in a store, im buying one. you will want to drill a hole in the top though to let your finger breath.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.