Somehow I can't seem to advance to a higher level of guitar. I've got fairly good technique, speed, a little bit of music theory, a good library of licks and I can improvise well. I've tried learning theory but it seems pretty damn difficult without a teacher to guide me. Another thing is that I notice that my improvisations and solos get repetitive every now and then. Any tips or suggestions from UGers out there?
Oh, and I play blues, if that helps. Cheers
REAL MEN HAVE NO SIGS
Try looking at other styles, you'd pick up different techniques and licks from a different style that you can apply to your blues, and that could help you with your reptitive improvising.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
I don't think you need a teacher to learn music theory, I learnt a lot from the lesson on this site. I think some theory knowledge will definitely get you over this barrier as it did for me. You can write your own songs and exercises etc
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I'd rate my skill somewhere at intermediate. I tried jazz but it's kinda hard to grasp and the basics are much harder than I imagined. There's so much I don't know where to start. I'll try giving theory another go
REAL MEN HAVE NO SIGS
Learn to use your ears better - you've not mentioned your listening skills so i doubt you realise how important they are.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My friend was in a similar position and decided to take a few lessons with a really advanced player. The guy gave him a good outside perspective and jolted his progress. Only took like 3-4 lessons but it was enough to get him over the hump.
Hey man I know how you feel. I was pretty much the same up till a few weeks ago when I decided to start taking lessons. I found this guy through craigslist that turned out to be an amazing teacher. I've only had 2 lessons with him so far, but he has help improve my playing exponetially. We are strictly working on theory and interval training right now, and its helped my playing more then I can explain in words.

My advice, if you can afford it, find a good teacher because that will help 100 times more then doing anything on your own. Especially if its someone who really knows what they are talking about. And if you can't afford it, its really not a big deal, you just have to keep working and pushing yourself. You'll eventually get over the hurdle it just might take a little bit longer by yourself.

Personally for me, getting a teacher again was like the best decision I've made in a long time. I've been playing for like 8 years now, took lessons off and on for the first 4 and have been teaching myself for the past year (there were major gaps in me playing up until 2 years ago). But now that I have a new teacher I'm really seeing improvement almost immediatly

Either way you'll improve as long as you have the motivation to keep going.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ