I started cleaning and oiling my guitar today and I noticed for the first time in almost two years I've had it that my bridge pickup has a slant to it. In the picture you can see that the pick up is closer to the body on the pick guard end. I'm not sure if this was how it came or if this happened during a gig or what. Like I said, I just noticed it. Does anyone know if this is natural? If not, how should I fix it?

The guitar is an Epi SG G-400 I believe. Here's the link to the picture: http://tinypic.com/r/rvezip/3
that doesnt look right to me, pups do come loose alot i would leave it, how long have u ghad the guitar?
i don't see anything to fix.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
It looks to me like the actual PICKUP is perfectly level. It's the little black ring going around the pickup that is not level. Possibly a poor installation of the ring. can you just tighten the screws on one side, or loosen the screws on the other side?

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
that is totally normal. by lowering either end (middle screw) you can either increase or decrease the volume of the treble or bass side to get a more balanced tone.
looks crooked relative to the body, but as long as the distance from the pole pieces to the strings are relatively even, you're good.

I cant tell from the picture if they are, but if the pickups are parallel to the strings, is the action really high on your lower strings or something?
turn the screw next to the pickup and it should raise and lower it. if it doesn't work then it is possible that the hole has been stripped
Well, I have the strings off right now and there is definitely a slant to the pick up, not the black housing around it. If another picture would help I can provide one.

In my original post I included that I've had this guitar for almost 2 years.
that's completely normal.
OK, you can see it better in that picture. yes it's slanted. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It's totally adjustable to your personal preference.

The closer the pickup is to the strings, the louder it gets. And you may want one side closer than the other. I would think the other way around, closer on the thinner strings..but again, it's personal preference.

If it plays and sounds good to you, leave it alone.
And I'll guess that since you never noticed it before, then it's probably fine.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by jonmo1

The closer the pickup is to the strings, the louder it gets. And you may want one side closer than the other. I would think the other way around, closer on the thinner strings..but again, it's personal preference.

if you look at the slant of his bridge the strings are an even distance from the pickup all the way down. that's the purpose of the slant, if the pickup were perfectly parallel with the body it would be touching the high e string.
Quote by mikeyElite
if you look at the slant of his bridge the strings are an even distance from the pickup all the way down. that's the purpose of the slant, if the pickup were perfectly parallel with the body it would be touching the high e string.

In that original picture with the strings, I had my camera on the strings so it may have given the impression that the strings were the same distance all the way across, but in reality they weren't. Look at my 2nd picture.
looks even to me if anything the high e is just the tiniest bit lower than the rest. if you don't like it just get yourself a screwdriver and adjust it.
Alright, I guess I'll leave it. On my bridge the thing of the high e string is lower than the rest, so I'm guessing maybe that was just the way it was meant to be.
it can be however you want it to be. some people like their pickups high, some like them low, some like them high on the low end and low on the high end, etc., all preference. if it sounds good keep it the way it is, if you don't like it raise it or lower it with a screwdriver till you like the sound.
When its flat or level..the pickup's natural characteristics come through.

G-400's and SG's often almost have the power of a les paul and almost the brightness of a strat.

If you put a pickup into it and it is a naturally bright pickup...the higher strings may have
too much presence when you play chords. In that case you would lower the side on the
higher strings..so that the chords sound more ballanced. Guitars and amps mix the same way. Basswood guitars suck when you scoop mids . The tone lies in the mid area, So metal players dont usually get much use out of them. A Strat sounds good on a marshall..It may not sound as good on a kirk hammett sig Randall. Kirk has pronounced mids..So the basswood would probably sound better with the amp that favors the mids. The Cabinet Factors in the same way.

I chose a B-52 because of the mid range rectified style tone and coupled it with a Marshall 1960 to bring fullness into the tone. Now I can use Basswood and Mahogany guitars.

If you have high gain pickups with a Full Mahogany body..Sometimes the neck can have too much bass. In that case you would lower the side on the low end. I have an lp-100 with moderate gain pickups. H4-H4A passive EMG's and I can actually throw on some BOOMERs and record bass lines in Drop-D on the neck.

A trick for G-400's is raise the bridge on the higher string side and it will bring out the singing Strat sounds on solos.

Its actually all about the players preferences.
Tony Iommi's SG has almost an even tone across the strings. (favoring high side)
Angus Young's SG has a slightly higher top end. He had phrases with "Big Notes"

Tony Iommi has piercing highs..but Angus Young's highs leap above in his solos.

Jimi Hendrix performed with an SG a few times..but his was pretty even in tone.

Those are 3 places in the scale of SG/G-400 sound you can go for.

If your G-400 is used..from the looks of that picture, I would predict that it has a bright sound. Either that or it was primarily used for rhythm. If you raise the other side you may have to tweak your playing a little bit. You will need to do things such as figure out how to use that extra high end presence in rhythms and riffs. In Lead guitar we dont use those 2 strings very much in riffs. Stereotypically speaking of course. (Blues, rock, metal and cousins).

There lies an opportunity do develop your own trademark.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 24, 2009,
ive been lurking around UG forums for a while now and since this seems to be the most relevant thread to my problem, i feel i should post here

and my problem is this: i has recently changed the height of my neck emg 81 (assuming changing the height will change the tone) and now it seems that it is producing too much bass, especially when i strike any of the middle 4 strings, and i cant get it back to normal. another way of looking at it is that it is now not producing very much treble at all. it seems to only happen when im using distortion and when i play any chords, all tone pretty much dies away
any help is much appreciated
Last edited by mongomong at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by Mayonaise 812
that is totally normal. by lowering either end (middle screw) you can either increase or decrease the volume of the treble or bass side to get a more balanced tone.
This. Just screw the smaller screw around on the pickguard side to change it. You are supposed to do this so you can change the tone and output of your pickups
yeah i have been doing that but when i play chords, all treble tone just dies away, predominately when i strum the 4 middle strings. when i say chords i mean 3+ strings. its fine for just plucking 2 strings.
and when i swap over to using my amplug, it doesnt produce anywhere near the bright tone as it did before i fiddled with the pickups

EDIT
ok ive fixed it using the most random method.
i LOWERED both neck and bridge pickups until they are pretty much resting in the pick up slots. now i have that more treble tone back and the tone doesnt go missing when i strum chords.
random. i know. but it worked
Last edited by mongomong at Sep 3, 2009,