I just traded my Line 6 Spider III 75 for a Epiphone SG G-400

The pickups aren't working for me. They don't have the same punch my EMG's have. I need some suggestions on what to get.

Budget: $200-$300, but preferrably closer to $200
Amp: Randall RM80 with 1087 and Blackface modules.
Genre: Melodic Death Metal, Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal, Metalcore...just about any "metal" you can think of. I occasionally veer outside of metal, but not often. Bands like In Flames, Soilwork, At The Gates, Shadows Fall, All That Remains, Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, etc. etc.

I am considering the SD Blackouts just to see how they compare with the EMGs. But i was also thinking about looking into getting some nice passives. What passives do metal really well?? I'm looking at either DiMarzios or Seymour Duncans. And i would prefer pickups that are similar in appearance to the stock pickups; i.e. nothing black. Something that is metallic/silver/nickel. Possibly, white, but i'd prefer something more "metallic" looking.

Thanks, John.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Aug 24, 2009,
sd/ dimarzio with the metal covers often cost 20 more then without.

but anyways you could look into the tried and true combo of the jb/jazz for passives.
Quote by Mayonaise 812
sd/ dimarzio with the metal covers often cost 20 more then without.

but anyways you could look into the tried and true combo of the jb/jazz for passives.

Are there certain ones i can get the metal covers with, or can i get any of them with covers?? I know the Blackouts can come with covers.

Can i get a good metal tone with the jb/jazz combo?? Will it compare with the EMG's?

Thanks, John. .
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
Are there certain ones i can get the metal covers with, or can i get any of them with covers?? I know the Blackouts can come with covers.

Can i get a good metal tone with the jb/jazz combo?? Will it compare with the EMG's?

Thanks, John. .

some of them have the option not all though i am sure.

you can get a good metal tone, many metal guitars come stock with this configuration. if you want to know how it compares to emgs though you should go to a guitar center or similar place and try them out one after another on the same amp. i will tell you that the emg has alot more output.
Nice trade....way to steal a guitar bahah!!

I am gonna suggest perhaps spending on a set of EMG's and then 18V mod them.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I am no gear expert, so instead of throwing advices around I am just gonna ask, why not get the EMGs again if you seem happy with them? I know I am very pleased with my EMGs 81/85, as far as metal tones are concerned, and they fit the budget.
Why put EMG's in an SG?

You already have a guitar with EMG's in right?

Why not get some dimarzios?
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Nice trade....way to steal a guitar bahah!!

I am gonna suggest perhaps spending on a set of EMG's and then 18V mod them.

Ya, it was pretty much a free guitar! But we are both happy with it...all he had was keyboard amp, so he needed something better. Not a BIG step up, but he's happy with it.

I think i will probably just get some Blackouts or DiMarzios. I'm pretty sure the Blackouts will sound good. Any good DiMarzios i should look at?? Ones that are great for metal...

I would definitely like another set of EMG's, but i want to try something new so i have some variety.

Thanks, John.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
Ya, it was pretty much a free guitar! But we are both happy with it...all he had was keyboard amp, so he needed something better. Not a BIG step up, but he's happy with it.

I think i will probably just get some Blackouts or DiMarzios. I'm pretty sure the Blackouts will sound good. Any good DiMarzios i should look at?? Ones that are great for metal...

I would definitely like another set of EMG's, but i want to try something new so i have some variety.

Thanks, John.

Some people think that the 18V EMG mod sounds just like a set of blackouts
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Maybe an Air Norton (neck) and Super Distortion (bridge) or a Breed (neck) and D-Sonic (bridge) or D-Activator (bridge) and Evo (neck) or any combination thereof...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
HNGD! Sounds like you came out ahead on that deal.

Edit: Air Norton (N) and Super Distortion (B) works great in my RG. Given, that is basswood and not mahogany.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Aug 24, 2009,
You could also look at (b)Super 3/(n)Super Distortion.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Some people think that the 18V EMG mod sounds just like a set of blackouts

My EMG 81/60 combo has the 18V mod. I did hear some improvement, but that was with the spider. If i had done it with the Randall, i might have heard some more improvement, but its all good now.

The SG is mahogany.

I will check out those pickups y'all have suggested. Thanks! Can i get any opinions on how they sound and how well they handle metal??

Thanks, John.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11

Thanks, John. .

The JB/Jazz sucks hard in mahogany, IMO.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Any opinions on the DiMarzios suggested?

Air Norton (neck) and Super Distortion (bridge)

Breed (neck) and D-Sonic (bridge)

D-Activator (bridge) and Evo (neck)

Any others? Other combinations? Thoughts on any of them?

Any SD's? Something good for metal?

Thanks, John.
--Einstein

--Einstein
If what you're looking for is the bite of EMGs... you need EMGs for that. There is no substitute.

If you want variety, something that sounds different but is still aiming for that bite, you'll want a high-gain passive. Not Blackouts. Blackouts have the output of the EMGs, but bite like low-gain pickups. 18v EMGs still sound like EMGs.

In terms of passives, a JB/Jazz combo works for metal, but may not compliment the wood in the guitar. I had a JB in the bridge of my Custom for a while, but pulled it due to some wiring snafu I made when I installed it. Sounded great, but that is a maple capped mahogany body, not a full mahogany body. I've heard great things about D-Activators.

If you just want to throw some fresh pickups in there to see if you like them, try GFS pickups. They are great for the price, and I'm quite happy with the combo in my Turser. Provides me with all the gain I need from the bridge, but still a creamy neck tone.

Seymour Duncan's website provides you with sound clips of most of their pickups, and Youtube is always an option for reviewing pickup/amp combos.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by bubb_tubbs
The JB/Jazz sucks hard in mahogany, IMO.

I agree. The Jazz can get too boomy easily. And I just don't like the JB, haha.

I'm surprised no newbs have ran in here saying "BKP." and then leaving.

Though, in all fairness, a set of Warpigs might be worth a look, if you want to try some passives...>_>