But I want to get better. Do you think art (drawing, painting, etc. not music) is more of a skill you learn or something that if you suck theres no hope.

Artists of UG, got any tips?
Quote by cardboardcorn
But I want to get better. Do you think art (drawing, painting, etc. not music) is more of a skill you learn or something that if you suck theres no hope.

Artists of UG, got any tips?

practice or look for art tutorials.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Hi there, failartist here!
Well here's where most people slip up, they try and be like good drawers.

Yeah- that's right.
Don't be like the good people.
Drawing is a way for you to express yourself, and if you just draw what you want the way you want then you'll find yourself a much better drawer.

UG DOES forgive, then eventually forgets

Luigi>Mario

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Anyone who sucks my dick is special.
Practice, analyse, study, practice more.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Same as music. You can practice and practice but your work could still come out bland and uninspired.
two and a half men.
Keep practicing! I SUCKED at drawing things until I kept drawing them in different styles and learning off of other people's art. You'll get better after awhile.
Part of this Complete Breakfast!
some people arent good at it, and will never be. some get better with practice, depends on which you are.
Draw cartoons. It's more rewarding. I can't draw "proper art" fo' shizzle, but people still compliment my stupid little doodles that I did many of in english class.

Also, sketch in basic shapes lightly in pencil, then go over it in pen, and erase the original lines. This lets you predict the shape and pose of the object/character you're drawing, and lets you try out several possible outlines before settling on the final one.
Well the problem is I find it a good way to express myself but if you asked me to draw anything you would laugh. Hard. And thanks for the above comments
Quote by cardboardcorn
Well the problem is I find it a good way to express myself but if you asked me to draw anything you would laugh. Hard. And thanks for the above comments

Sometimes art doesn't even mean expressing yourself, just stuff to do..
Like this.

Truth is, everyone sucks at drawing so don't even flinch when you think it sucks, it's better than the person next to you's.

Luigi>Mario

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Quote by cardboardcorn

Draw anything. Make me laugh. Hard.
It can be an acquired skill. If you want to make things look realistic, learn some shading techniques, and try drawing from photos. Practice as much as you can. Like someone said before, you can practice as much as you want, and be technically great, but still come off as derivative, unoriginal, and uninspired.
I lolcano

And TS, I can't draw to save my life, but people my friends love my comics. Why? They're stick comics based on something utterly random that happened to me or popped into my head. And if you're doing them for you, not others, then does it really matter whether you're Picasso right now or not? As time goes by and you draw more, it will improve.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I suck at drawing (and writing and anything that requires a pencil, pen or brush) so I took up digital art. I'm not amazing but for spare time I've created things like:

I could have made it better, just ran outta time.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
^^^^
Not a "Show off your skills" Thread.

Luigi>Mario

Quote by WantsLesPaul
I used to suck terribly. Then I just practiced and over 5-6 years I finally became decent and now people commission me and I'm proud of everything I do. So, if you think you can stick to it, then start practicing and don't give up.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by WonderBagel
^^^^
Not a "Show off your skills" Thread.

I don't have any skills thats the point. It's easy to get something to look half decent by following a tutorial online. Just provided an example.
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Just keep on practising.
I was average a few years ago, now people pay me for my work. Its pretty cool.
...In my opinion.
Well I have a lot of spare time as I'm off work for an injury. I've always been able to use photoshop, but I'm looking into using a camera and then adding effects and such. I want to be able to take some "artistic" pictures and such.

Well, do I really need an SLR camera? I have a newer digital camera, with a few different modes... I can get an SLR camera later in life, but for now will I be able to get some stunning photos with just a regular camera?

Also can you give me basic tips to take photos of items such as: gardens, sun, clouds, the night sky and mostly just wild life and such.

Thanks.
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Quote by IEatOrphans
Practice, practice and more practice.

this.

is this not how you develope ANY SKILL
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
Do you want be good at art? Or good at drawing and painting?

If you want improve at drawing/painting, just take a course.

But if it's art in general, drawing and painting is only a small part of art. If you're creative and have a good eye, you could always try more graphics kind of art, using photoshop as well as classic techniques, or photography. 3D you can be pretty wild with, and remember, a piece of art doesn't need to be realistic, it should just be you expressing yourself at the end of the day, however corny that sounds.
I'm not the best at drawing, but I can draw 2D things fairly accurately if I'm looking at a picture of it. The thing is just look at it, look how the curves, then try and replicate as best you can and just take it bit by bit.

As you can tell I can't really give advice on how to draw.
I have been drawing for 12 years. It's all about practice. Believe me.
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS
Quote by dustyboy316
Well I have a lot of spare time as I'm off work for an injury. I've always been able to use photoshop, but I'm looking into using a camera and then adding effects and such. I want to be able to take some "artistic" pictures and such.

Well, do I really need an SLR camera? I have a newer digital camera, with a few different modes... I can get an SLR camera later in life, but for now will I be able to get some stunning photos with just a regular camera?

Also can you give me basic tips to take photos of items such as: gardens, sun, clouds, the night sky and mostly just wild life and such.

Thanks.

Copy what you just wrote.
Go to the photography thread.
Paste.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by dustyboy316

Thanks.

I do plenty of photography myself, short answer... No.

You can take interesting and creative shots with anything, hell i've even done it with a bucket and a hole in the front.
A DSLR will allow you to be more creative though, and with practice, you'll get better quality pictures. If you want to get into that area, I'd say get a Canon EOS rebel, a cheap 450D if you can find one, if not a 500D. Great fun and has all the important features, photography is great
I think it is somewhat natural, 'cos I am, and always will be, completely terrible at art

I mean I got a level 3 in year 9 art for ****s sake (7 being the highest, and 3 being just about the lowest )
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by IEatOrphans
Practice, practice and more practice.

This, and also patience, and confindece.

When you start drawing something and it looks like it's gonna suck, don't stop, keep going, because it might turn out better than you think. Even if it isn't great, to learn, you need to make mistakes.

Talk to your art teacher, she knows alot more than you think... And take a drawing/photography class if you can.
Last edited by Dregen at Aug 24, 2009,
i've been asking myself the same question... im not sure... though i think u can b born 'creative' meaning i think some people get a head start but others who lack have to teach themselves im one of the people who have to teach themselves lol
I feel that everyone has a creative side, just we all express it in a different manner. I, for one, know I am reasonable at writing. I can just get by with drawing and my musical composition lacks direction. However it's not about the technical skill and more expressing yourself.
Was it L.S. Lowry who painted without any formal instruction yet still created inspirational drawings.

You must express yourself and not conform to the "standards."

This is why I also don't agree with creative subject GCSEs etc. I found these sucked the inspiration out of my work as they forced me to work behind constraints.

Oh and no one sucks at drawing. I know a guy who has no technical skill, yet his cartoons are hilarious. Who knew penguins skateboarding could be so funny.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by PussyPunk182
Copy what you just wrote.
Go to the photography thread.
Paste.

Woops, I thought I was in that thread hahah sorry.
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp