I've been playing for 10 years, i can play every song i like enough to learn, i can sweep up and down the neck. . . but lately i hardly practice because it just seems now that im older it doesnt interest me anymore. (im 20)

Guitar and guitar has been the centerpoint of my life this whole time so its not like this is just a hobby but seriously,

has anyone else reached this point? where you feel un challenged and bored?

i know theres plenty of stuff i still cant play yet but i dont really care at this point, i can pwn anyone who comes into my local gc and most likely am better then most of the kids who bs with each other all day on this forum.

what im asking is if any of you more veteran members can sugest an artist or technique to follow that might get me serious into guitar again?
Electro Metal???

myspace.com/lividarchaic
Write your own stuff? I personally have more fun finding pieces of music that I've written that fit together than anything else
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
metallica did it for me when i was playing for 6 months i really got into metallica and then i started learning all their songs and by the time that i had been playing for a year i was better then everyone i knew but you probly know metallica well enough that they dont interest you anymore
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
Play with a band? I prefer that to plaing by myself, and playing with other musicians is the best way to improve on inprovizing and such...
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
As people grow up their interests can change, maybe it's time to leave the guitar and find something else. You can always come back to it at another time. There isn't any point in trying to force your interest. I reckon you should give it a rest for a while. Find some new music genres to listen to, go to gigs etc. then see if that fires up your interest again.
Play with a band is the best advice. Even the simplest of songs can become incredibly good fun, and even challenging to play in time if no-one in the band has played with a band before.

If you want challenging, try learning polyrythmic stuff like meshuggah, or learn new ways of writing music like picth axis, as writing music is another way to re-spark interest
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
It's not a competition...it's not about "pwning kids", it's about playing music - sounds like you play for the wrong reasons.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You have no ambition because you can outplay anybody who comes into the store? I don't mean to be a dick but I think you have a misguided set of goals my friend.

That said I can see where you're coming from in terms of the lack of interest. Happens to all of us at some point or another. Sometimes just being away from it for awhile will help but for more immediate gratification I find there are a number of things that work at different times. Writing some new music, playing a different instrument (piano does it for me), or just getting together with some other musicians and trying to put something together. I never knew anyone who played guitar beyond the "I want to impress a girl" level for the first 4 or 5 years of playing so sitting around by myself playing the same stuff got pretty boring. Hell, I even took music in university and I lived to far away from everybody to really get together and play. I'm taking my second degree now (not in music) and a buddy on my floor last year was an incredible blues player. We started jamming and it was going really well, soon enough another guy started singing while we were playing cause he knew the song, turns out he was pretty good, the guy had no idea either. So now one of the guys is my roommate, other lives a couple blocks away and we get together during the year every week or so and just jam. The great thing is I loved blues before but I never really got into it as a player so there were all these little things my buddy was amazing at but I never spent any time learning. Now during the week I focus on something specific to his style and it has allowed me to expand my knowledge and skills aside from just being a good time. I played some flamenco and classical pieces for him so he started getting into that style and now we have an interesting mix of all kinds of things.
I have mixed feelings about this post. Playing guitar changed my life. I always had enthusiasm about starting projects and lost interest. I always loved music so I figured..why not take on a task that can not be finished. I knew I could never be good enough to put it down. I've learned alot and I will die with notes that are almost finished. With that said..I can't understand how music gets boring.

I would recommend composing and writing your own music.

Another thing to do is to just dive into a genre you don't play in. Boredom is often born in comfort zones. I recently realized that no matter what genre I compose in..D major is a theme. I have begun to avoid D Major at all costs. I'd like to have a familiar sound..but not a die cast composition.

My best advice is to start going to open mics and it will inspire you. It's a special thing to me because I could care less about being famous. I play because I love it and its an inspiring thing to see people doing what they do..simply because they love it as well.

I gig too..but something about the open mics gets to me.

Also..The most successful songs in history were simple. Sweeping and shredding is great and all..but it doesnt make hits. People all lover the world ove ACDC. We all have memories of the hits..but nobody's mind goes straight to an Angus Solo.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by Neo_Towel
I've been playing for 10 years, i can play every song i like enough to learn, i can sweep up and down the neck. . . but lately i hardly practice because it just seems now that im older it doesnt interest me anymore. (im 20)

Guitar and guitar has been the centerpoint of my life this whole time so its not like this is just a hobby but seriously,

has anyone else reached this point? where you feel un challenged and bored?

i know theres plenty of stuff i still cant play yet but i dont really care at this point, i can pwn anyone who comes into my local gc and most likely am better then most of the kids who bs with each other all day on this forum.

what im asking is if any of you more veteran members can sugest an artist or technique to follow that might get me serious into guitar again?

shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 24, 2009,
Vids or Mp3s or I dont believe you with that attitude
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Record him while he's playing secretly and then tell him that some other guy wants to join and he sent a recording.

When your friend says, "Man, this guys sucks", tell him, "It's you, dumbass"
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
We all have memories of the hits..but nobody's mind goes straight to an Angus Solo.

I don't think that applies to everyone. Whenever I think of my favourite songs, i tend to either think of the intro or the solo (which is sometimes one and the same)
I didnt mean the songs. I meant..the band collectively. Typically when people think of a band..

they tend to think of something simple. Not everyone..but the majority.

The name Black Label Society usually will trigger the memory of a simple riff..
before a Wylde solo.

Hendrix...simple riff..
Black Sabbath...simple riff
Pink Floyd
Queen...you get the idea

They all have very technically challenging music, but their names usually trigger the memory of something simple. Its used a lot in advertising.

Dragonforce for example...drowned out by The Plain White tees.
I call *Hey There Delilah* the Two Chord Wonder...lol

It may have more that two...but i dont know if most would notice. lol.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
I didnt mean the songs. I meant..the band collectively. Typically when people think of a band..

they tend to think of something simple. Not everyone..but the majority.

Dragonforce for example...drowned out by The Plain White tees.
I call *Hey There Delilah* the Two Chord Wonder...lol

It may have more that two...but i dont know if most would notice. lol.

Yeah I guess, i'm just weird
mattvl gave some good advice, though his opening was the same as the birdman above him. munky also gave some good advice... I have been where you are, and it still happens from time to time. The players I use to get back into the swing of things may differ from your artists that you like, but I'll give it a shot.

Dann Huff... bastard of a player... watch his instructional if you want. It is on youtube in various parts. Its funny how someone that good tries to make something look easy when its not. The inspiration however is not from what he plays... but how he plays. He has some of the most perfect technique I have ever seen (forget Paul Gilbert and whoever else some wankers suggest for "technique" {Paul bores the living crap out of me and has such an emotionless wankery in his playing. No soul, no feel and definitely no sense of super catchy melody}) Dann has the most awesome awareness of melody and hook. Thats the important part. And he just has fun when composing...

Eric Johnson... don't think I need to elaborate on him much. His instructional "Total electric guitar" is completely mindblowing with all this guy knows and how he incorporates all his influences in various aspects of his playing.

Jeff Beck... no technique to speak of really, he's just awesome at what he does. His note choice and how he goes about delivering it is truly spectacular. He plays at Ronnie Scotts club and the majority of the audience is super rockstar status. That on its own says a lot.

Now my suggestions are not to learn what they do... but perhaps how they do it... its just pure listening pleasure.

There was a time when i didn't play much for a full two years, the aproximate total length of playing time could be summed up to two months of two hours a day (out of two years that is nothing) and I would not recommend it. You lose a few techniques along the way along with stamina... but you gain a reborn love for music. My ear got trained in the process as I listened to new music out of my genre and you tend to understand what they are doing even if you don't pick the guitar up. You become fully aware of music as a whole, even where it fits in spiritually as such (once again disregarding wankers comments on "tones have no spiritual connectivity at all; don't resonate with any part of the body" etc, etc (WANKERS!!!)

Losing interest is a common thing, and one that you can question why, and only you can answer it for yourself. And once answered, you can then continue your musical quest if you will... your soul will let you know and will eventually let you yearn deeply for it.

Good luck man, I hope you find your answer somewhere...
It's not surprising that you'd get bored of doing the same thing all the time, bands can solve this. As can other music styles. I've reached your point once I think, I started to take an interest in how I would sound best and it turned out I preferred the sound of flesh to that of a pick.

This resulted in me changing everything about how I play, I gradually got interested in Flamenco and eventually Jazz as well. I recommend you to start learning other styles, first and foremost the the ones I mentioned here because they're some of the most different styles there are.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club