when playing an amp at a loud volume, you pretty much always get an ear peircing volume if you stand in a certain area right in front of the amp. I play through a peavey windsor, and when we play bar gigs, we dont mic our amps because theres really no need to.(therefore turning the amp down wouldnt be a solution) No one right in front of my amp has ever said anything to me about how the sound is ear piercing, but when i go out about thirty feet straigt in front of it, i can tell. Is there any way to prevent this so my sound is more balanced and its quality is not as dependent on where the listener is standing?

My tone other than that sounds good, and it cuts through the mix very well, so turning down mids or treble isnt really a solution, and neither is micing the amp
yeah, its a little flap thing that is designed to go over that bit, its called an ice pick reducer or suchlike
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Quote by guns_rosesldb
when playing an amp at a loud volume, you pretty much always get an ear peircing volume if you stand in a certain area right in front of the amp. I play through a peavey windsor, and when we play bar gigs, we dont mic our amps because theres really no need to.(therefore turning the amp down wouldnt be a solution) No one right in front of my amp has ever said anything to me about how the sound is ear piercing, but when i go out about thirty feet straigt in front of it, i can tell. Is there any way to prevent this so my sound is more balanced and its quality is not as dependent on where the listener is standing?

My tone other than that sounds good, and it cuts through the mix very well, so turning down mids or treble isnt really a solution, and neither is micing the amp

Mic your amp and turn it away from the crowd, Point it at the drummer or off the side of the stage.

Everything will always sound better when mic'd and introduced to a good mix.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Aim it away from the crowd and turn it up loud? idk sorry i can't be of much help.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
Turn your highs WAAAAAAY down. If your amp has a presence control turn that down also. As you turn amps up they get brighter (i find anyway), especially if you are using a solid state amp. What is your rig?
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
If you're using any pedals, turn the volume down on those
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Quote by BobChicken
yeah, its a little flap thing that is designed to go over that bit, its called an ice pick reducer or suchlike

this is kind of what i was looking for... does anyone have any info on this? i know srv used to put tape on his amp's grille for this, and I think albert king positioned his guitar case in front of his amp.
It's just a bit of plastic or whatever you want that you put on the grill where the centre of the cone is. It's curious, but it kind of diffuses the sound a bit. Apparently, the Orange logo on the front of my combo does the same job.

Anyways, if you've got an ear piercing tone, it's just too much treble. It's as simple as that.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay