So, I've recently started playing with a band, I'd initially intended on getting myself a Blackstar HT-5 for home practice, but now I need a new amp for different reasons.

A 30 watt tube amp should be loud enough for playing pubs and smaller venues right? So, What's the best sorta amp I can get for £200-£400.

My specifications are very easily met, I don't care about the aesthetics, the style, or anything that it has built in, I just purely want an amp that sounds good, all effects will be done through pedals anyway, the tone is everything. I will be playing indie/rock music, but very atmospheric stuff. I am currently playing an Ibanez S470, which has passive pickups, but this may change, as the guitar doesn't really suit the music scene so much, so versatility to all guitars would be helpful.

Thanks.
Any actual opinions or descriptions would be cool, It's not as if I hadn't already typed 30W tube amp into google.

On here, Line 6 gets slated, and can you get the Peavey Vypyr 30 as a tube? and Valvekings are 100W?

I like the look of the Laney VC30 though.
Quote by britishsligean
used marshall dsl401

Used to have one of them. The OD was decent, but the cleans were pretty bland imo.
Quote by notsominidude
maybe a used valveking

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-valve-king-212/68977
Quote by JackleCube
Any actual opinions or descriptions would be cool

Peavey Classic cleans are very nice and chimey.

The Laney VC30 is pretty dark, can do moody cleans to fairly heavy OD.
Last edited by blue_strat at Aug 24, 2009,
30W tube is a hell of a lot, probably would even be able to play at large venues.

But what blue_strat said is pretty good recomendations in my opinion.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Look into traynor amps, most of them are 20 or 40 watts. Very good quality for the price you pay and built like tanks. You also can't go wrong with a Peavey classic 30 also.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
30W tube is a hell of a lot, probably would even be able to play at large venues.

But what blue_strat said is pretty good recomendations in my opinion.

+1, my 33W tube amp on 2 would be loud enough for a small venue. It drowns out the drumset just fine. And that's when my POD is on something like 4 or 5. If they were both on 10...
The valveking is 50 watts well the 112 is. Get the blackstar and mic it up if you want it that bad?
Legend.