So right now I have this POS EVH replica, and pretty much everything about it is crap, so Im changing everything about it. Gonna strip the finish tomorrow, want suggestions for everything, and Ill update this post with a list of what the finished guitar will have, whenever something is decided

I know I want to do a blue or green stained finish, kina like this, so I'll be addind a veneer top, want to add a fake binding (too expensive for real binding, cause I need the router bits and stuff), most likely will route for another humbucker, cause itd probably look weird with that kind of finish and one pickup.

Current Specs:
25.5" scale
Basswood body (I think)
Maple neck and fretboard
****ty $15 rusted humbucker
1 volume
LFR
****ty finish

Here's what we're working with (click the thumbnails for huge pics where you can see all the flaws)

Suggestions for everything are welcome... pickups, finish, body shape, whatever

Will Have:
-2 humbuckers
-3 on/on/on mini switches (2 for S/S/P for each pup, one to choose between pups)
Impossible is Nothing
Last edited by solomon684 at Aug 25, 2009,
I think it looks awsome the way it is .

I dont know whats fake binding so I cant comment on that. The only fake binding I know is when you have a nice thick maple cap, I dont think youll get that with a veneer, that said, I recommend a solid paint style for that type of guitar, I think it looks best with a bright color such as bright pink/green/yellow. I say this because the design well, it looks very 80's Kramer
I would suggest you decide on what the future finish will be BEFORE you strip this finish, because you may want to keep it. I like the finish the way it is, but if you were to do another, I suggest a solid color, not a figured top. Usually, I like tops, but putting a nice top on a guitar whose main feature is simplicity (1 volume knob, 1 pickup) seems a bit..."off".

As for everything else, don't just go replacing stuff because you feel like you have to. If something is not working for you (I would assume the $15 pickup falls into this category), then definitely replace it. But, replacing tuners/bridge/nut if they work fine (do they?) is something I wouldn't recommend.
Quote by divinorum69
I think it looks awsome the way it is .

I dont know whats fake binding so I cant comment on that. The only fake binding I know is when you have a nice thick maple cap, I dont think youll get that with a veneer, that said, I recommend a solid paint style for that type of guitar, I think it looks best with a bright color such as bright pink/green/yellow. I say this because the design well, it looks very 80's Kramer

Kinda sick of the finish and it has paint showing through everywhere, dont really like it

For the binding I was thinking to just leave part of the body as bare wood and see how it looks
Quote by rootbeerjuice
I would suggest you decide on what the future finish will be BEFORE you strip this finish, because you may want to keep it. I like the finish the way it is, but if you were to do another, I suggest a solid color, not a figured top. Usually, I like tops, but putting a nice top on a guitar whose main feature is simplicity (1 volume knob, 1 pickup) seems a bit..."off".

As for everything else, don't just go replacing stuff because you feel like you have to. If something is not working for you (I would assume the $15 pickup falls into this category), then definitely replace it. But, replacing tuners/bridge/nut if they work fine (do they?) is something I wouldn't recommend.

Well, like I said, I know I want to do a stained finish and would probably add another humbucker to it. Probably going to do something like 1v/1t with a series/split/parallel for each pup

Gonna keep the tuners/bridge/nut cause they are all great, obviously replace the pup

Even though I know I want it to be a stain, still open to finish ideas (what color, burst?, etc), and I think Im gonna change the headstock shape to cause it wouldnt fit with the guitar.... what shape should I go with?
Impossible is Nothing
Quote by solomon684
Kinda sick of the finish and it has paint showing through everywhere, dont really like it

For the binding I was thinking to just leave part of the body as bare wood and see how it looks

Well, like I said, I know I want to do a stained finish and would probably add another humbucker to it. Probably going to do something like 1v/1t with a series/split/parallel for each pup

Gonna keep the tuners/bridge/nut cause they are all great, obviously replace the pup

Even though I know I want it to be a stain, still open to finish ideas (what color, burst?, etc), and I think Im gonna change the headstock shape to cause it wouldnt fit with the guitar.... what shape should I go with?

Oh men, dont change the bannana headstock, its my favorite after the strat.

Look, you know youd need to route to add another humbucker, right?
Youd also have to make a channel for wiring.
If I were to add a veneer to that guitar I do a trans-red stain job, like this:
Well, if you're going to be adding pickups and knobs, I guess a nicer finish would be more appropriate. Do you know what veneer you'll be getting? I would suggest spalted maple, but that can get rather expensive. As for the color, normally I'd be saying green, but there are lots of green builds going on right now, so maybe orange? Or orange burst...

EDIT: There's not a lot of wood left on that headstock to chop off, and I think it's fine as is.
Last edited by rootbeerjuice at Aug 24, 2009,
That guitar appears to have a large radius around the face. I don't know how you're going to add binding, fake or real.
divinorum69: Yup, I know Id need to add another wiring channel

rootbeerjuice: Leaning towards curly/quilted maple, never really liked the way spalted looked. Whos doing green finishes? I havent seen any, but maybe I havent been looking enough...

I forgot how little wood the headstock had, so much for changing the shape

Metalhead_28: Cant I just take a very very little off the perimeter with a jigsaw or bandsaw, like right on the edge of the top, so then it would form a right angle, if that makes sense
Impossible is Nothing
Last edited by solomon684 at Aug 24, 2009,
I wouldn't go to all that trouble for bindng. The contrast between the veneer and the body (basswood you said?) will be enough IMO.

If you get quilted maple, can I see a popped grain please?

As for the green builds, the two I know off the top of my head are scowmoo's RG and that neck through SG someone's doing...I'll get the links for you if I can find 'em.
Quote by solomon684
divinorum69: Yup, I know Id need to add another wiring channel

rootbeerjuice: Leaning towards curly/quilted maple, never really liked the way spalted looked. Whos doing green finishes? I havent seen any, but maybe I havent been looking enough...

I forgot how little wood the headstock had, so much for changing the shape

Metalhead_28: Cant I just take a very very little off the perimeter with a jigsaw or bandsaw, like right on the edge of the top, so then it would form a right angle, if that makes sense

That I believe would be almost impossible with a jigsaw, maybe with a bandsaw but it will still be very difficult. Plus youd then will have to round the lower edge.
Thanks!

You can still do a green finish. Hell, you might look like the original one, since the other two are full builds and probably won't get around to being finished for a while. I would suggest green burst, though (I know, I like bursts). Or maybe do a teal/torquoise/something not quite emerald green.
Body and headstock are stripped, but for some reason the body is two different colors anyone know why and how to make it a uniform color?

Neck also has some finish on it, so I gotta sand that off before I stain it with water based dyes

Impossible is Nothing
Thats what I thought... the lighter colored part is where the sanding sealer is right?
Impossible is Nothing
Quote by solomon684
Thats what I thought... the lighter colored part is where the sanding sealer is right?

yep.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
that top (left? closest to your head when playing?) contour looks almost like a ric . . . but it still has the strat horn.

as for finish i would go with something completely original. something that hasn't EVER been though of before. as hard as that may be . . . or maybe cutting some wood off the body, not the headstock, to make it into a more unique shape. i think green would look well. like the color background you have in those pics. maybe with black pinstriping around the edges if you're feeling up to taping all that . . . maybe do it like the gibson zoot suit SG?
and then add some EVH-esque stripes over that, that'd stand out more than most things.
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
Quote by ice condition
that top (left? closest to your head when playing?) contour looks almost like a ric . . . but it still has the strat horn.

as for finish i would go with something completely original. something that hasn't EVER been though of before. as hard as that may be . . . or maybe cutting some wood off the body, not the headstock, to make it into a more unique shape. i think green would look well. like the color background you have in those pics. maybe with black pinstriping around the edges if you're feeling up to taping all that . . . maybe do it like the gibson zoot suit SG?
and then add some EVH-esque stripes over that, that'd stand out more than most things.

What were you thinking for the body shape? I would like to change it but Im not completely sure what to do with it

And imo, I think the zoot suit SG looks stupid, but maybe a dark blue stain with black in it somewhere
Impossible is Nothing
hmm you could start with cutting some out for more fret access on the right horn. like the way PRS's have. maybe try drilling holes in various places too?
Quote by Steve46

I like the first idea, but just drill holes through the guitar?
Impossible is Nothing
yeah the bumblefoot guy (from GnR) made a "cheese" guitar by drilling holes into it.

but you could also cut or add wood. (by glueing, of course)

EDIT: pic of said cheese guitar: http://www.striglsmusicnews.com/102bumblefoot06.jpg
Quote by Steve46

Last edited by ice condition at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by ice condition
yeah the bumblefoot guy (from GnR) made a "cheese" guitar by drilling holes into it.

but you could also cut or add wood. (by glueing, of course)

Found it on google, he also has a foot guitar
Impossible is Nothing
yeah he seems to be quite the weirdo in my opinion. . . but creative, i'll give him that.

maybe even take a chisel to it and see what you get.
Quote by Steve46

Quote by ice condition
yeah he seems to be quite the weirdo in my opinion. . . but creative, i'll give him that.

maybe even take a chisel to it and see what you get.

Dont want to do anything to extreme like chiseling, where you dont know how it will turn out, cause I still want it to look really nice, kind of like the PRS guitars

Anyway, Im gonna have 1v/1t, and 3 mini toggles. 2 for series/split/parallel for each pup, and 1 as the 3 way switch to choose pickups, but Im not sure how I should arrange them, so photoshopped/MS paint suggestions (onto the sanded guitar pic I posted) would be great
Impossible is Nothing
somethign like this, maybe?:

volume
neck switch
selector switch
bridge switch
tone

if that doesn't explain it i'll draw something up on MS paint.
Quote by Steve46

Quote by ice condition
somethign like this, maybe?:

volume
neck switch
selector switch
bridge switch
tone

if that doesn't explain it i'll draw something up on MS paint.

Like going around the curve of the body? Thats actually a good idea, I didnt think of that
Impossible is Nothing
like this, sorta

or something to that effect, at least, that's how i would do it. you can spread them out mroe around the curve of the body, that'd probably look better
Quote by Steve46

Ok so Ive been doing some thinking and heres my plan

-Black stain as the base, followed by blue stain, maybe a black outline on the perimeter, but the edge may be too radiused so we'll see
-Reranch burst amber on the neck and back of body
-Instead of 1v/1t, gonna go with 2v/0t because I never use the tone knobs, and since I plan on getting a high output pup for distortion in the bridge and a cleaner one in the neck, I dont want a big volume difference
-Thinking Power Rails in bridge and Vintage 59 Alnico classic V in the neck, both from GFS
-Chrome covers, like these, black pickup rings
-2 black dome knobs, 3 chrome mini switches

What do you guys think?
Impossible is Nothing
Looks like this could turn out nice. Stain idea sounds awesome as well. I'll stay tuned in.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by solomon684
Ok so Ive been doing some thinking and heres my plan

-Black stain as the base, followed by blue stain, maybe a black outline on the perimeter, but the edge may be too radiused so we'll see?

So you'll be popping the grain? Excellent. Will you be staining the headstock as well?

This looks interesting, can't wait to see it finished! By the way, have you gotten your veneer yet?
Quote by rootbeerjuice
So you'll be popping the grain? Excellent. Will you be staining the headstock as well?

This looks interesting, can't wait to see it finished! By the way, have you gotten your veneer yet?

Yup, gonna stain the headstock to match the body

I asked Brian from Universal Jems if they have any quilted or curly veneer, since the website said there is only flamed maple. He said yes he does, so I told him Id buy it but hasnt responded yet. His site also says allow 2-4 weeks for delivery, which sucks
Impossible is Nothing
The sanding sealer is proving to be a real bitch to get off, Ive been sanding it with 60 grit and seems to spreading out and now covering more of the body, keep sanding and it doesnt come off. Anyone got any tips to get it off?

Another thing I found strange, the pickup I got for $15 from the local music store was wired up by them so I never looked at it until now, but its a seymour duncan. Idr if it was rusted like this when I got it, but is there a way to figure out which model it is. It says DDJ on the back, duncan distortion maybe?

Brian is really slow with responding to e-mails
Impossible is Nothing
here where i put mine but thats with the 5 way switch there still.

Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3