I'm looking to buy a 6505 off of a friend, and he's selling it cheap because it has this intermittent crackling noise.. He says it happens only once in a while but I just want to know some causes for this and whether it's easy to fix as I'm interesting in buying the amp.

Thanks guys
Quote by britishsligean
could be tubes on their way out or more likely some wires could be coming loose or are damaged

I should've mentioned, he said it possibly would be tubes going out.. I'd be happy to buy some new ones if that is the case which I would take some recommendations because I know nothing about tubes... But have owned tube amps before...

EDIT: Haven't tried it yet I tought I'd just get some diagnostics from UG first.. Long time lurker, only just registering..
Last edited by Bearded_Seth at Aug 24, 2009,
Tap on the tubes with a pencil while they're on and you'll find out.

You can also try pulling the tubes and reseat 'em a few times. Sometimes that'll work.

Tubes comes with different prices depending how good you want them to be. I retubed all my amps with Mullard Reissues and I'm happy with 'em.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Eurotubes 6505 page

Which of these packs would be the best for thrash.. But occasionally crossing over into death/deathcore?

I don't really want to buy tubes one at a time because I really haven't ever bought tubes before or installed any.