Hey Guys.

Ive been looking for a new amp recently and ive found a keeper. Its a Marshall AVT150 Head and Marshall 4x12 cab, all for £250.

Has anybody had any experience with the AVT150, if so, does it have a nice sound? is it loud? Is it worth the £?

Thanks a lot folks
Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
First of all, do you really need a half-stack?

Are you playing gigs? If so, to what size?

What kind of music do you play?

Is £250 your definite budget, or can you go higher?
The gigs i play are usually the size of a small hall, maybe bigger. So far I've been borrowing other peoples equipment but id really like to have something for myself.

The music i play is mostly funk/rock/blues, RHCP, Led Zep, RATM etc.

my budget atm is around £300 but i could go higher if i waited for more money.

Thanks again.
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
yes answer his questions first but I will say I owned an AVT150 half stack for 3 years and loved it. It is loud enough for most gigs and what not but it is really not ear splitting loud. It has a wonderful clean tone and good on board effects (I only used the chorus for cleans and solos). OD1 is great for crunchy, classic rock, and OD2 is more for metal/hard rock. For that price, I think it is a really great amp. If you have any more questions fire away.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Do you usually get mic'd up?

You could get a 2x12 valve combo for a bit more cash: a Peavey Valveking 212 is £380 at GAK, or the 50 watt 112 is £290.
Quote by chuckmehh
yes answer his questions first but I will say I owned an AVT150 half stack for 3 years and loved it. It is loud enough for most gigs and what not but it is really not ear splitting loud. It has a wonderful clean tone and good on board effects (I only used the chorus for cleans and solos). OD1 is great for crunchy, classic rock, and OD2 is more for metal/hard rock. For that price, I think it is a really great amp. If you have any more questions fire away.

Thanks

If its as good as you say it is i shall buy it asap.
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
yeah I think it will be a wonderful upgrade from your MG. You may not even need your stomp box anymore which I think is awesome (I'm not much for effects). Good luck and hope you love it!
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
From whar I have hear there not that good. About one step above them Marshall Mg.

I'd give it a 5/10 because there not good but not bad.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
I liked it alot at first. I almost bought one years ago. VERY glad I played other amps and decided against it. Not really a terrible amp though.
£250 isn't too bad, but for the money you could do a hell of a lot better. The AVT isn't all that much better than thew MG series, in all honesty - and they certainly don't have the 'Marshall sound' that the PR people would like you to believe in.

I spotted this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laney-LC30-II-2-Guitar-Valve-Amplifier-*Amp-*LC-30_W0QQitemZ190329048740QQcmdZViewItem

For £289 that's a great buy, and tons better than the AVT. More info and HQ video demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0HzjfqbIsI
Last edited by kyle62 at Aug 24, 2009,
I have the avt40. I like it. I dont have a working first channel so i only use the boost channel. Its got enough gain for classic rock such as some led zep but hard enough for Tool and Black Stone Cherry. Ive pulled off some Slipknot (dont flame) But the gain isnt all the way there for the extreme stuff. but you dont seem like your to worried about that.
What cab does it come with?
If it's an AVT cab, don't bother, they sound like poo.
If it's a 1960 cab, then it's worth it.

AVTs sound decent with good speakers and wretched with bad speakers... like their stock speakers.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2