For guitars and basses? I've never used them before, and new music for my band requires the use of picks for its effect on the timbre. Thank you!
not much, but bassists usually use a heavier pick, if they use a pick, then again thats usually
I just use a slightly heavier gauge of picks for my bass than I do guitar. On guitar I use a .73mm and for my bass I use a 1 mm.
first the boring, typical answer i've heard(not saying its right) is: light picks are easier to strum and do chord progressions are, the heavy picks are for fast strumming and whatnot. but heres my suggestion, buy one of each, find the thickness u are most comfortable with that gets the sounds ur band wants. then find the brand u like, which feels right in ur hand, they all feel different. finally, use those. theres no "right" or "wrong" pick to use, j an unconventional one. I personally use the tortex donlop 1.14 mm picks. i love them, they are thick, and they feel right to me. they are the purple ones. are the right for u? idk, try it out

btw, i use them for both my bass and electric guitars, they feel right on both. I used them on guitar before I ever started bass, and it sounded just as nicely on my bass when i started playing
Last edited by xtoolfanx at Aug 24, 2009,
I find that thinner picks give you a more high-end sound with more pick sound, it's what I tend to prefer. I use 1.2mm. Thicker picks, 2mm - 3mm+ tend to sound more solid and have a thicker timbre if that makes sense.
signature
the difference in thickness, size and shape will effect the picking dynamic, sometimes a lot and sometimes only a little

i prefer really thick stiff picks with plenty of surface area for bass
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I highly recommend you go buy 6 or 7 different sizes of picks and try them all. i myself prefer a 3mm big stubby...well, i used to but now i hardly ever use a pick, but if i do that's what i reach for.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I use two picks for bass mainly (when I use picks)

one it the "turtle" (tortex?) and it is like .6mm or something
the other is the "alligator/crocodile" and is like .8mm

I think that is their measurements.

foodit:
those measurements have to be way off
maybe the tortex is .88mm and the alligator/crocodile is 1.6mm ?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Aug 25, 2009,
When I use a pick I use a 2mm, my guitarist uses a .88mm, but my old guitar teacher used a 3mm. It's all personal preference.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

When I pick I use 2mm. They're perfect for me considering I use a B string as my E (i like heavy gauges). It's surprisingly easy to chord with a heavy pick and i really enjoy using it.

However when i use lighter picks they tend to break easier. The heavy pick mentioned about I had for over a year before I lost it. I've broken about 3 lighter picks with triplets
Different pick materials and thickness create different sounds. Just buy a bunch and see which ones you like.
I usually keep a handful of Tortex greens (0.88mm) and purples (1.14mm) for those plec moments. The greens go from guitar (I string mine with wound 3rd 13 gauge) to the lighter strung basses. The purples do the heavier strung basses.
My favourites of all time, tho', are Fender Extra Heavy. They do everything, and they're just that bit more flexible and responsive than Dunlops.
I've used coins before, and more recently, the little gold chips from credit cards, which have an interesting scratchy click to them.
Brands don't really matter either. Just some brands have specific or 'custom' sizes. But quality wise it's pretty much all the same.

I am completely satisfied with Musician Gear brand or any generic cheap stuff. Saving 2 bucks on picks add up, especially since I lose them.
Quote by gwath42
Brands don't really matter either. Just some brands have specific or 'custom' sizes. But quality wise it's pretty much all the same.

I am completely satisfied with Musician Gear brand or any generic cheap stuff. Saving 2 bucks on picks add up, especially since I lose them.

amen to that, my local music store had a fishbowl full of picks with a 20 picks for 1 dollar special; 5 bucks and you'll never need to look for a pick again
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Tonally, the thicker picks, to me, have a more bassy sound but still have that pick tone, while thinner picks have that high end zing.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I just have 1 pick. Not sure what it is, but it's pretty thick, maybe 1-2mm and really flimsy, not hard at all like Celluloid or Tortex. This pick makes an excellent sound, unlike other picks.
I have a variety of picks including some Tortex, Jazztones and felt picks as well. Picks are cheap and for some reason the pick Gremlin likes to deposit them in my house, so I usually have a selection to choose from.
Quote by anarkee
I have a variety of picks including some Tortex, Jazztones and felt picks as well. Picks are cheap and for some reason the pick Gremlin likes to deposit them in my house, so I usually have a selection to choose from.

THAT'S WHERE ALL MY PICKS GO! Damn dude, I need to befriend the Gremlin.