My epiphone les paul standard is four years old and i've never brought it into a shop for maintenance or anything. I re-stringed it recently and now the D-string sounds like doo doo (horrible) when i play past the 12th fret. I'm using dunlop ultra bright strings or something like that. I fooled around with the action but that didn't do anything. I think it might be the neck starting to bend or something but I can't tell myself.
I was wondering:
- How often should someone bring their guitar to a store for maintenance?
- Should I try to fix the neck myself by tightening the thing at the top of the neck/ and how should i go about doing that?
or - Should i bring it to guitarcenter?

sorry for not knowing the correct names for somethings, I hope you guys know what I'm talking about.
- How often should someone bring their guitar to a store for maintenance? Depends on if you can fix small problems yourself, polish the fretboard, change strings, intonations, etc
- Should I try to fix the neck myself by tightening the thing at the top of the neck/ and how should i go about doing that?
Its the truss rod. Only touch that if you know what you are doing and why. Tightening it will give the neck less relief, by taking away the concave curve to the neck. Loosen all the strings before tightening it. Then look down the side of the neck headstock down to check to make sure none of the strings are too low, and that the neck is not too warped, but not too terribly flat.
or - Should i bring it to guitarcenter?
Not if you like your money. If you feel you really cannot do anything on your own, then yes, but self-maintenance is cheaper, and sometimes better because you can make everything exactly how you like it.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Sounds like your intonation is off; Get a tuner and compare the 12th fret with the harmonic. If both the harmonic and the 12th fret are exactly on, then it is correctly intonated.

If the note is flat, then you need to move the saddle towards the direction of the neck. If it is sharp, then you need to move the saddle the opposite direction.

Make sure that you have a fairly accurate tuner and that you loosen your strings before making the adjustment.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by Xeron Brigs
Sounds like your intonation is off; Get a tuner and compare the 12th fret with the harmonic. If both the harmonic and the 12th fret are exactly on, then it is correctly intonated.

You have a good point. I took that into consideration as well, but i was not sure how adjustments to the saddle would effect my guitar so i didn't want to risk it. Thanks, i'm going to try your suggestion. I'm pretty confident the neck is fine, I only thought it may be causing problems due to what a friend said after playing my guitar. Thanks.

..btw i knew it was called the truss rod! i had just forgotten .
I'm gonna see what i can do, i'll let you guys know if i was able to fix it or not.
click the green link in my sig.

look at the first post.

if the guitar is out of tune at the 12th fret, then look at the steps on intonation.

if the guitar is rubbing the frets, and that fret noise transmits thru the amp, then post back here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

if the guitar is rubbing the frets, and that fret noise transmits thru the amp, then post back here.

I do have the buzzing sound when played only around the 12th fret on the D string, if thats what you mean, which is caused by the action being to low or the neck being warped correct? I've adjusted the action and nothing really fixed that
... im in the middle of adjusting the saddle and i moved it closer to the neck because I noticed notes past the 12th fret were flat. I moved it all the way up and it sounded much better but still 14th fret and on didnt sound that good. I flipped the saddle around and it allowed me to move it up more but its still not perfect =/.

Maybe now I should adjust the action? or is there something else i can do? I was thinking these new strings are the problem because they are pretty light? What strings do you guys recommend for all around play or sounds from bands like fall of troy, a day to remember, sum 41, and coheed and cambria.

Thanks so much guys, I've learned how the saddle works because of this and my guitar does sound a lot better now.
Last edited by Suppy18 at Aug 24, 2009,
ok well make sure you are intonating correctly.

and also measure your neck's relief.

so click the green link in my sig, and look at the first post where it shows how to do those things then post back here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011