I did a quick search and didn't find anything recent, so yeah...

This is probably not the place to bring this, but I don't think I want to go to college. There aren't really any courses that I have seen that interest me, and I don't want to have to worry about paying off student loans and such until I'm 30.

I was thinking of going out to California and trying to find a band while working as a waiter or at a music store or something. Since the music scene where I live is not my taste, I wouldn't be happy doing the same thing without moving.

I know everyone says you can't be successful without college, but to me that seems true only if you are going for a business related profession. It doesn't seem like going to college for something like playing guitar or painting would increase your chances of finding a job in that work, unless you are trying to become a teacher.

I think I'd be better off having those 4 years to find a band and get better at my playing, while having a job that can give me money at the same time. I just don't see how going to college is going to help me with what I am trying to do.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
One of my friend dropped off before finishing his secondary (the equivalent of high school i think). He did regret it.
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
You'd think it be better to find a band but what untill then. Where will you live were you can live of minimum wage. Unless you fully understand the sacrifices you'll have to make, go to college. If not four go for 2.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Problem is, at 17 or 18, you don't really know what you want to do...

Let me just lay it out for you... I'm 24, and although not everybody I know that did complete college is happy, everybody that I know that didn't complete college is distinctly not.

You might enjoy the "just make enough money to play in a band and scrape by" mentality for 5-10 years... but eventually you're going to want a real job, that makes real money... and when you're struggling to pay rent on your 2 bedroom apartment at 30... you're just not going to be happy.... period.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Don't get student loans, if you don't want to pay them back. What's wrong with grants?
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
College isn't the the way for everyone. I mean... if you had a legitimate interest in going... that's a different thing.
I hate it when people push their misguided opinions on college that the only way you're ever going to succeed is pursuing higher education. And depending on the degree that may or may not be true. I've only ever heard of one contemporary music program that really has a decent musician placement type thing. I'm in a similar boat as you, I want to pursue music in any way I can, but honestly, college isn't the way for me, either. Plus the money isn't there, and I'm too "average" at life for scholarships, as it is.
Do what YOU want, not what other people tell you is good for you.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Last edited by sadSTATUE at Aug 24, 2009,
College isn't for everyone
Don't be a sheep. People have made millions or had great jobs without going to college. My dad didn't graduate college and he makes 60,000 a year and may get a job where he gets 80,000 Do what you want
You gotta live yer dreams brah.

It's like Burt Munro said:

If you don't chase yer dreams, you might as well be a vegetable.

You don't wanna disappoint Burt Munro do ya?
Having a degree under your belt will help you get almost any job. There are lots of employers who ask for a degree in any field. It proves you can apply yourself. Given the choice between two applicants, one with a degree, one without, most people would go for the person with the degree, even if it's in something useless like Advanced Flatulence Manipulation.

Also college/uni is fucking fun and a great life experience.

But, then again, if your heart isn't in it, you'll probably end up dropping out, and like other people have said it isn't for everyone.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
people are right that some people don't go to college and make plenty of money and are successful, but statistically, the odds are not in your favor...

it's 4 years... it's a good time... you make lots of friends... and it's not that hard...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
It doesn't seem like you'd be able to support yourself with a part time job and a band for very long.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
not a single course interests you? you must have lost your mind.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Lots of people go to school and pursue music at the same time, you know.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
I go to college as well as pursue music and work at a pizza place, and I still have plenty of free time.

Don't be lazy, go to school. College isn't as bad as they make it out to be.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
no classes that interest you?
is your college like tiny or something?

I'm taking Russian Literature and a class on Magic/Witchcraft in the Medieval times
I can take anything from Tennis to Basket Weaving to History of Zulu to Jewish Film in Italy

anything I want to take, I can take; I love it.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but its not going to be easy to become a guitar player or a painter so you might as well find something else and go to college and get your degree so you can get a real job.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by lordofthefood1
no classes that interest you?
is your college like tiny or something?

I'm taking Russian Literature and a class on Magic/Witchcraft in the Medieval times
I can take anything from Tennis to Basket Weaving to History of Zulu to Jewish Film in Italy

anything I want to take, I can take; I love it.

Yeah, it's pretty cool, a friend of mine took Human Sexuality and Yoga for his morning classes.

Awesome morning if you ask me.
-Jim Morrison
california's music scene sucks tbh

you're not going to be famous

that waiter job is going to be your only source of income

you'll regret not going to college when knock up that one chick

don't be a dumb****
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by divinorum69
Go to a music college. You'll get the ability to be around people who play music, plus you can find yourself a band and you are studying something you like

Yeah, that way, after he finishes school he'll be fully qualified to be a bum.

In all seriousness, I think going to music college is pretty stupid, the chances of you getting a well paying job in anything music is extremely low, unless you plan to be a teacher; even then, they don't make the best money, and it's not easy to land a teaching job in the first place.

It's not like any decent band is going to say "Sorry man we only accept people with music degrees"
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Aug 24, 2009,
One thing you need to consider is that the cost of living in California is way higher than most other places. Even though the minimum wage is higher in California, it'll probably be difficult renting/buying a place, not to mention stuff costs more.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by Musicman48858
Problem is, at 17 or 18, you don't really know what you want to do...

Let me just lay it out for you... I'm 24, and although not everybody I know that did complete college is happy, everybody that I know that didn't complete college is distinctly not.

You might enjoy the "just make enough money to play in a band and scrape by" mentality for 5-10 years... but eventually you're going to want a real job, that makes real money... and when you're struggling to pay rent on your 2 bedroom apartment at 30... you're just not going to be happy.... period.

This guy knows what he's talking about. Anyways if you're thinking of a career in music good luck because to be a successful musician is slim. I'm not trying to bring your dreams down I want to be a successful musician but I need money coming in to live off of and travel the world in the future. College/ University helps a lot for getting a good career not necessary to get a job but if you want some serious cash then think of careers that involve your interests. Apply music to a career; own a music store, become a instrument builder, music producer etc. Music can be applied to other careers other than a performer. Good luck with your life choice and I hope you succeed. Asking your parents for help or friends can help you in making a decision just write down all your interests and link them to careers.
ok truth is, you really do need college for a real job. Think about it this way, a college degree if anything shows to your employers that you are educated and can be educated. Even if the degree isnt exactly what you want to do, it at least shows you can learn. Your job oppurtunities will be much much greater if you had a degree, and think about this. If your jamming around band thing isnt going to work out as well as you think, do you really want to be competing with high school students at age 30 for a low end job? If anything do yourself a favor and find at least one type of subject you may have some interest in and get a college degree. Its just somthing that you can fall back on later in life when your dream doesnt come out exactly how it you thought it would be. Maybe its just me but i like having a backup plan.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2ex2
mega distortion md-2
Metal Muff
Marshall MG microstack
Line 6 spyder hd75 halfstack
Sonic Stomp
Schecter Damien 6
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
cali has free community college for residents
so go there
jam for a year
then go to school for free

This actually sounds like a good idea. I have a feeling I'll probably look into that.

Quote by A bunch of people ITT
Go to college, you'll end up regretting not doing it

I'm only considering not doing it because I feel like I might end up dropping out, and that's just wasted time and wasted money, and I don't want to waste any time.

There's a lot of classes, how come you don't like any?

It's not the classes, it's the majors [that are actually worth the time+money] I'm not interested in

Quote by SlinkyBlue
It's not like any decent band is going to say "Sorry man we only accept people with music degrees"

That is the funniest thing I have heard in the past week.

So yeah, I think I'll end up taking a year off to go to Cali and become a resident, then go to CC so it'll be pretty cheap.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat

Last.FM
well...to be honest. you could go to college, but if you get a retarded degree then you might as well not go at all. atleast not going will save you many thousands of dollars.

i'm not gonna say which degrees are retarded as i don't wanna start a flame ware, but yea you can basically guess which ones will probably not really help you at all in life. don't go to college to learn just for ****s since you can do this at home by reading **** loads of wikipedia. go to college to learn about a subject that will allow you to get a job in the field.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
NOOOOOOOOO

I don't give a **** what you do about college but DON'T COME TO CALIFORNIA
Going to college will introduce you to a **** load of musicians. I'm a freshman this year, first week of school, and have already met like five guys. And make your parents pay for it.

By the way, I'm majoring in Music Industry Studies(Producing)
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Last edited by Flying Afros at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
Where the FUCK did you get that idea?

$26/unit=/=Free

From Wikipedia:

California residents do not pay tuition for community colleges. Rather, they pay an enrollment fee. Non-resident and international students, however, pay tuition, usually an additional $100 per unit (or credit).

Quote by Flying Afros
Going to college will introduce you to a **** load of musicians. I'm a freshman this year, first week of school, and have already met like five guys. And make your parents pay for it.

By the way, I'm majoring in Music Industry Studies(Producing)

Yeah, the main reasons I was planning on going were to "network," meet some musicians/producers etc. so I could have some connections if I need to.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat

Last.FM
Here are two reasons to go to college, even for only a couple of years and even if you think you're gonna drop out.

1. It would open your mind (at least it did that to me). Taking courses on a variety of subjects that were not available during high school might open the doors to a whole new world, plus, you might find the career you want to follow there.

2. You would meet new people to jam with.
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson