is it true that the older fender 70's strat used to have the serial number on the neck plate and not on the neck itself?

if the first question is true, then does this head stock look authentic? what value would u put one of these strats at if it is indeed authentic?

This is from a vintage Fender site.

The 1969 to 1980 Neck Stamps.
This information was documented and written by Greg Gagliano, and was published in a 1998 article in 20th Century Guitar magazine.

About 150 Fenders made between 1967 and 1980 were examined. Of these, less than half had useable information. In most cases, the stamp was smudged beyond legibility or the stamps were incomplete. Many guitars had no stamped codes at all. Some guitars simply had the model name, such as "MUSTANG" stamped on the butt end of the neck in green or red ink.

This means two things for the owner of a 1969 to 1980 Fender. First, the chances of having an intact stamped code is about 50/50. Second, the dataset for making conclusions is relatively small and therefore, subject to change as new information surfaces. However, the interpretation of the two date code systems appears to be relatively straight forward and the conclusions were confirmed by pickup dates and pot dates in most cases.

As far as valuation you need to take a lot of things into consideration. Condition, originality, current market value, etc. That neck looks like a 72ish. One just sold on Ebay for a mere $1200.
Last edited by cranium2001 at Aug 24, 2009,
^They're not really that good guitars compared to the newer ones, which would have alot more reliability. The guitar as a whole will have a lot more life left in it before you need to switch parts out in it.
But it's always cool to have an old guitar So yeah, considering that a 70's strat can go from 1-4 grand, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
How the **** should we be able to know? We can only see the headstock and the first three frets.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
The shape of the body, what color is it, is it a three screw bolt on or four? etc.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
he said the body was converted to a 4 bolt, then the original owner went back to 3 bolt.
ya. i dont really know if the body is authentic or not. the neck looks authentic to ME tho.