Hi guys!

First of all, this is my first post/thread here so, go easy on me okay?

I have a Kramer Vanguard Pro that I'm wanting to beef up the sound quite substantially as the bridge pickup it has now just isn't cutting it where bass is concerned. I've pretty much decided on the new EMG Alexi pickup set so, all of that deliberation has been done. What I would like to know are a few actual wiring/setup questions to get the new pickup and ABQ booster actually wired up and good to go.

My guitar is currently setup with a:

SD Pearly Gates in the Neck
SD Custom Custom at the Bridge
A Master Volume
3-Way Selector
Push/Pull Master Tone for Coil-Tapping.

Since the EMG is passive, would I still be able to tap it or would that option be void? I use my coil-tapping almost religiously so, if that's an incredible issue, I might have to reconsider pickups again. Also, wiring the ABQ into the mix, where would I wire it in the grand scheme and what to, since there are two pickups being boosted.

Also, unrelated but, my sound cuts in and out periodically when I stand playing my V. Is that my input jack going bad/wires coming loose, or something more serious? My volume and tone are both kind of scratchy when turned but, not -too- terrible at this point. Should I just replace all of the controls when I put in the new pup or leave it until it gets unbearable?

Thank you all so much for your help and my sincerest apologies if something like this has already been asked. I used the search function (I'm plenty forum literate to try that number first haha) and couldn't find anything of this sort. Though, I'm kind of a
n00b where wiring is concerned so, I may have completely overlooked it. - I have a few more questions concerning my axes but, I'll leave it at this for now haha.

Either way, thanks again!
welcome to UG, man!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019006
the easy part: that link is to the thread that is essentially the best place on UG to go for wiring, i garuntee what you need is on the very first page.

now, hear me out when i say this: EMG passive pickups SUCK. they made their name on actives, and the passive just dont measure up. you may want to reconsider that. i cant find any info on coil-splitting it, but i looks like it has the proper conducters, though im not 100% sure.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
welcome to UG, man!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019006
the easy part: that link is to the thread that is essentially the best place on UG to go for wiring, i garuntee what you need is on the very first page.

now, hear me out when i say this: EMG passive pickups SUCK. they made their name on actives, and the passive just dont measure up. you may want to reconsider that. i cant find any info on coil-splitting it, but i looks like it has the proper conducters, though im not 100% sure.

Thanks! I look forward to absorbing all of the musical/technical information I can from this place. I didn't realize how much of a beginner I was until I started reading through this place. Haha, leave it to the internet to make you feel inadequate even with eight years under your belt haha.

Anyway: That's what I've generally heard. I had a friend steer me clear of a normal EMG HZ because they are widely thought of as terrible pickups. The thing that got me interested again was the fact that Alexi put out his own pickup. I've always -loved- COB's sound and seeing as I'm not entirely satisfied with my Seymour Duncan, I thought I'd give it a try. Plus, it comes with the signal boost which, is another draw for me as I can never get a good mix of everything at once.

I'd really like to hear examples of the pickup but, EMG haven't posted any yet. It's crazy trying to envision what these things sound like when you only know who plays it and trying to strip away all the effects to just hear the pickup itself. It's maddening! Haha.

If EMG Passives are a no-go, what would you recommend in the way of a more bass heavy/even band pickup? My Custom Custom seems to favor the highs almost exclusively.
well, as for the boost, you CAN get that seperatly.

now, the custom custom is quite bright, but you can try its bassier counterpart, the custom 5.
also, if you REALLY like the pearly gates in there, you could drop another one in the bridge.
if you want to get away from duncan, there is always dimarzio,
the super distortion and tone zone are on the warmer end of the spectrum,
all of the pickups listed can be coil-split as far as i know.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking