Poll: HSS vs HSH
Poll Options
View poll results: HSS vs HSH
HSS
11 31%
HSH
24 69%
Voters: 35.
I have a squire Stratocaster. it was the first guitar I ever got, and it's very well made, it plays very nice, but it has cheap hardware. So i decided to mod the guitar alot, so it lives up to my liking. I am going to paint it, replace the bridge and the tuners etc. For the pick ups I either want a HSS or HSH set, but I'm not sure which would work better for me.

I play mostly hard rock/rock. Foo Fighters, Stone Sour, Breaking Benjamin, Rise Against, Creed, Alter Bridge, and Dream Theater. Plus my band is right up the same alley. So i was wondering which pick up configuration would be best for me. Btw, the guitar is already routed for the HSH configuation.

And i was looking at getting some DiMarzio pick ups, so any suggestions you have for the pick ups i should get would be appreciated as well.
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
HSH if it's already routed, you can't go to HSS from HSH without a new body, duh.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
HSH if it's already routed, you can't go to HSS from HSH without a new body, duh.

yes you can... Duh.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
This isn't a customizing question. Yes I am customizing the guitar, but the question I asked was more directly related to the instrument itself than customizing the instrument.

To JagerSlushy: What do you mean you can't go from HSS to HSH without a new body?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Blakeu224
yes you can... Duh.

Yeah, thats what I thought. My Strat is pre-routed for the HSH set up. I think I hear it called the "swimming pool" design or something like that.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
A swimming pool rout is one gigantic route for all your pups -- basically goes from the bridge to the neck. You could stick 3 humbuckers in there if you wanted (and had the pick guard for it).

Is it a Bullet, an Affinity, or a Standard? The newer Standards will take regular Fender pick guards. There's little standardization with the others and you'll likely need a new custom pickguard cut for you. My Affinity was off by 1/4" from my MIA Strat's guard in several key dimensions.

Maybe JagerSlushy was thinking of a guitar with rear-mounted pups. He'd still be a little wrong, cause you could do it by using filler, or leaving the excess space (which would look goofy)
Last edited by jetwash69 at Aug 24, 2009,
I couldn't recommend HSH or HSS pups, but if you were doing HH and going with DiMarzio, then I'd recomend D-Activators. Not sure if they do a Single Coil version. I went with HH for my Squier; still have to wire it, though.

You can always coil split if you gotta get that single coil sound. I've never used a middle pup by itself (after trying it out), so I'm not sure why you even want one. If you have SSS right now, then you need a new pick guard anyway; why not go HH?
Well, I don't wanna go HH, because I already have my Schecter and Les Paul, but I really want that real warm, single coil tone that only a Real Single Coil fender can get. BUT, I don't really use that sound enough were staying with the SSS style is practical.

So I figured doing HSS or HSH would be a good middle ground to that. As for doing Coil taps, I am very good at the whole wiring aspect of the guitar and such, but I have never done any wiring with Coil taps, so I am not quite sure how to do them, nor do I feel comfortable doing them. And I would prefer not to have someone do it for me, due to cost and such.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
BTW, I have no idea what the difference is between a Bullet, Affinity and Standard. I got the guitar when I was 9. Broke it when I was 10. I am gonna be 17 in a month, and I just fixed it last night at around 3:00am. So I am clueless.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Prolly not a Bullet, then (don't think they've made them that long, and they've only recently started putting trems on those). Does it have 21 frets or 22? 21 then it's probably an Affinity. Either way, they only recently started using the Fender pattern for the pick guards, so you'll either need to make or buy a custom pick guard.

If you really like that Single Coil sound, then why not just go with SSS? That's how I'm keeping my MIA Strat. Like you said, you have the other guitars for metal. Other than Fender Tex-Mex pups, all the single coils sound the same to me.

As for coil splitting, (shorting out one of the coils to make an artificial single coil out of a humbucker) it's super simple; you can get all the info on that at the SeymourDuncan site or here, or just Google it. All you need is a 4-wire humbucker and a switch (lots of options there) The easiest is push-pull tone controls (but you'll have to cut some wood out of the control cavity to fit them). A Super 5-way switch can do it without any extra holes or carving.

Actually, literally speaking, that's really a coil "shunt", although most of us say "split" when we really mean "shunt". Technically the split is when you cut the connection between the
two coils, then route the hot lead of the coil on the “ground half” of the pair straight to
the volume pot (or if you route the “ground” (series-connecting) lead from the pup
that is on the ”hot half” of the pair to ground).

Coil tapping, if you mean it literally, is a lot more complex. That's when you have an extra lead in the winding of a single coil, so you can bypass a large percentage of the coil, to get a lower impedence and a brighter tone with less output. It's not as common, and generally not a DYI mod.

I wouldn't worry about either the true split or tap; just do the shunt if you want to sometimes get single coil sounds out of a humbucker.
It has 21 frets. And I don't wanna do the SSS because I don't want 100% single coil tone. Doing HSH or HSS has a lot more diversity to it, which is good. I don't like having to switch instruments if I don't have to. Plsu my band has a song where it changes from a real heavy Prog Metal sound to a real clean sounding bridge. I think being able to switch from the Humbucker to the single coil in that case would give my sound much more umph.

Another reason would be I use Humbuckers alot more than single coils, but I still do use single coils on occasion. I don't wanna spend X amount of money to mod this guitar with all single coils then not use it very often because 75% of the time I am playing heavy material.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
All the stock Fenders I've played with HSS had such subtle buckers that it was hard to tell the difference between the neck and bridge; certainly they couldn't "chug". Whether I play on my HH Avenger, or my HH Xiphos, I'm on the bridge pup. With the SSS Squier and the SSS MIA Fender, 90% of the time I'm on position 4; the only time I'm in position 5 is if I want a lot of harmonics. I'm almost never on the bridge in any of these guitars.

When I play "All Nightmare Long" on the Avenger, I'll use the coil shunt on the bridge with the amp on a clean channel for the first 8 bars, then I go distortion channel while pushing in the tone knob's push-pull switch to shut off the coil shunt for the rest of the song.

Your Hellraiser doesn't have coil shunt on the tone knob? I thought all Schecters had that. If it doesn't, I'd try it there first and see how you like it. Should cost about $10 for the push-pull switch.
The Hellraiser has it. But with my Strat I wanna put some Dimarzio Passive Pick Ups in it. I want something like raging heavy for the bridge, something super clean for the neck, and then a real jazzy/funk single coil in the middle.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Sounds like you answered your own question -- HSS.

The D-Activator is superheavy for your bridge. As long as you're not trying to blend pups, then you don't need to worry about them matching; except there may be a very noticeable volume level difference when you switch. You can install resistors to compensate, but that will be a pain (finding the right values). Or you can go 2 volumes, 1 tone.

The world is your oyster.
hey dude, from what you said you wanted, i would go with the HSS you can get a warmer tone with the singles in the neck and middle and the crunch in the bridge with a humbucker. i personally like the dimarzio evo 2 but thats just me. as for singles.. dimarzio makes some kickass singles idk what their called but i heard them on the new ibanez fireman paul gilbert model and they sound beautiful. hope this helped. good luck.
Area 67^ They are alright pickups. I liked the true velvet better. But for singles Rio Grand makes some awesome singles
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Last edited by mexican_shred at Aug 25, 2009,
Well, I was thinking of a Clean Humbucker for the neck actually, for a HSH configuration. I get something nice and heavy for the bridge for those big heavy riffs, and something cleaner for the neck for soloing and whatnot, then something jazzier for the middle for those brighter cleans. What do you guys think?

I was thinking a D Sonic for the Bridge, Air Norton for the Neck, and an Area 67 for the Middle?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
If you want a really clean neck bucker and only choosing from dim, Humbucker from hell or Air classic over air norton. They both sound great when used with distortion for soloing
What is the difference in Sound between the Air Norton and the Air Classic? I've heard the Air Norton, and I really like the sound. But I have never heard the Air Classic before.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Its more tonally balanced compared to a norton. The norton has a real bass and mid bite to it which sometimes can muddy under high gain. Classic is slightly lower output holds its sustain. Its a trade off between what you want.

edit: Ott of the three i suggested the humbucker from hell has been my favorite.
I say HSH since you're playing heavy stuff. HSS doesn't work well with heavy stuff because you'll probably have a high output humbucker and single coils with much less output if you're going for true single coils. Switching pickups probably won't sound good mid-song because they're unbalanced, not to mention that they should probably be EQed differently. I think HSS only works well when the humbucker is only used for it's tonal properties. With HSH, you get 2 humbucker tones, and 3 single coil tones and you retain you're ability to sound good while switching pickups.
Well looking on Dimarzio's site, they only have one sound demo of the Air Classic, and it doesn't really do much for me. It sounds more bluesy than anything else.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Take dimarzios clips with a grain of salt.
Why is that?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Because its really hard to capture the differences of a pickup in a clip between one another, unless all things are equal. You can get a rough overview but certainly what its fully capable of. Amp, what is being played, the guitar its in, would all have to be the same to get a true comparison. Even with that said the amp accounts for the most part of your tone, while pickups are fine tuning.

but with that said the air classics might be too low output. Look into the humbucker from hell. its a nice in between between the two, with the HBF having very glossy strat like cleans
True I guess. Would you say the D Sonic and Area 67 are good pick ups for what I want in the other two locations?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Because they're actual songs made by actual artists. The artists choose to use them however they like. They're also not raw recordings. But you're not going to find anything about a pickup by listening to clips.
I've only tried the D sonic a couple of times. I liked it. Cant really say much about it. It does chugga chugga well. Its very tight. takes drop tunings wel.

area 67 is a mix bag for me. Im not a big fan of the hum canceling singles dim makes, but the 67 retains some of its strat like qualities, and isnt harsh on the high notes, which is a big plus.
Also, is there anywhere I this site or another where I can get a wiring diagram with 2 humbuckers, 1 single, and a 5 way switch. (My strat has 1 vol, and 2 tone.)

And I believe the D Sonic (Not sure about the air norton) has a 4 way conductor wire or whatever.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War