Poll: Ampeg VH-140C Or Peavey 5150 For deathmetal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Ampeg VH-140C Or Peavey 5150 For deathmetal?
Peavey 5150
47 63%
Ampeg VH-140C
28 37%
Voters: 75.
Page 1 of 2
Alright last one i promise .

Its come down between these too, i did some research on the Ampeg and found out that it is "THE" deathmetal amp to get. Its solidstate but they say its distortion channel is where its at.

the 5150 is just renowned as a great amp for metal.

Post feedback if you want thanks.

EDIT:

Hey I found an ampeg head pretty cheap, and i was wondering if a combo amp could be used as a cab for it?

I have a 130 watt yamaha combo, it seems like it would fit it well. I would just be using it to see if it works, just to know if im getting jipped or not.
Last edited by GuitaristTrue at Aug 24, 2009,
I have not heard of the ampeg for death metal
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
I thought that ampeg just specialized in bass amps hmm
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Last edited by Maggot3000 at Aug 24, 2009,
The 5150.

I played a 6505+ yesterday and it was insane, although admittedly I'm not sure if it's actually a very similar amp or not through the whole split with EVH.

Another one to look at would be Max Cavalera's signature Peavey - 3505 or something like that.

I wouldn't go Ampeg though unless it was for a bass.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
The Ampeg is all out brutal, but has much better cleans than the 5150. For me, the Ampeg is a better tone, but it may be different for you. The good thing about the Ampeg is it's about half the price of a 5150 and they're quite easy to sell, so if you don't end up liking it, you can sell it right away.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com

No, the Ampeg is infinitely better and much cheaper.

Just keep in mind that while itts perfect for the old-skool death metal sound, I've heard the 5150 is better for Faceless/Necrophagist stuff.
the ampeg, i just got one today and it rocks. The only reason everyone is saying the 5150 is because its more well known
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Well, the amp itself is crazy old (made in 91' im pretty sure) and ampeg quit making it, they act as if it never existed.

Look it up and you'll find out that people say its pretty much the greatest death metal amp ever made.
get the ampeg I just looked it up and its sick get it
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by strat0blaster
The 5150.

I played a 6505+ yesterday and it was insane, although admittedly I'm not sure if it's actually a very similar amp or not through the whole split with EVH.

eddie got the name rights, peavey got the product patents

as far as well known(to some legendary) peavey tube amp v. ampeg(usually specializing in bass) ss amp i never herd of...
I say go with the Peavey
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904

as far as well known(to some legendary) peavey tube amp v. ampeg(usually specializing in bass) ss amp i never herd of...
I say go with the Peavey

Thought it was something to that effect. Thanks.

And to the random poster who said "They're all just saying 5150 because it's better known" - no, it's just that I like it better. Sorry?

Matrix is right, though - the Ampeg has better cleans.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Aug 24, 2009,
Hey I found an ampeg head pretty cheap, and i was wondering if a combo amp could be used as a cab for it?

I have a 130 watt yamaha combo, it seems like it would fit it well. I would just be using it to see if it works, just to know if im getting jipped or not.
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by GuitaristTrue

I would also go for the ampeg.

If you do a search on these forums I know there are a few threads at least where people have turned their combos into cabs and explained how to do it.

Essentially you just take the wires going from the speakers and wire them up to an output jack (taking note of the resistance of the speakers)
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
I would also go for the ampeg.

If you do a search on these forums I know there are a few threads at least where people have turned their combos into cabs and explained how to do it.

Essentially you just take the wires going from the speakers and wire them up to an output jack (taking note of the resistance of the speakers)

Does that ruin the combo?

Cause i was thinking that after i get a cab i was going to give it to my bands rhythm guitarist cause hes playing through a tiny 30 watt combo at the moment.

Also, my combos a 130 watt amp, but the ampeg is a 140 watt, would that be a problem if i turned the combo into a cab for the ampeg?

thanks for the input by the way.
Last edited by GuitaristTrue at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by justinb904

I say go with the Peavey

Ampeg. All the way. Great cleans, cheap to find, and I think the dirt sounds better than the Peavey. That's just me.

And the 5150/5150II were the 6505/6505+ back when EVH was with Peavey, so well done there.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
>.>
<.<

*double post*

You don't have to turn the combo into a cab, you just need to unplug the speaker from the jack, take a SPEAKER cable, and hook the line out on the Ampeg to the speaker in to the combo.

If it's a head, then you just take a speaker cable and plug it into the amp's speaker out.

Make sure the ohms match, though. And yes, you can play a higher wattage head through a lower wattage cab, just don't turn it up to full power. I wouldn't even go halfway.
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
>.>
<.<

*double post*

You don't have to turn the combo into a cab, you just need to unplug the speaker from the jack, take a SPEAKER cable, and hook the line out on the Ampeg to the speaker in to the combo.

If it's a head, then you just take a speaker cable and plug it into the amp's speaker out.

Make sure the ohms match, though. And yes, you can play a higher wattage head through a lower wattage cab, just don't turn it up to full power. I wouldn't even go halfway.

Thanks, i really appreciate it :0

Looks like im going to go for the ampeg if this guy wants to sell to me. ^_^
Quote by GuitaristTrue
Thanks, i really appreciate it :0

Looks like im going to go for the ampeg if this guy wants to sell to me. ^_^

I meant to say (on the section about the head) to the other amp's speaker IN. My bad, if that caused any confusion.

And yeah, playing a lower-wattage cab can be risky, but as long as you don't turn it up to where it could be potentially overpowered (i.e. full volume, even half volume, which is why I said keep it pretty far under half, too), which could either blow speakers, melt voice coils, or do both, none of which are good ( ), then you'll be fine.
--

--
Quote by GuitaristTrue
Does that ruin the combo?

Cause i was thinking that after i get a cab i was going to give it to my bands rhythm guitarist cause hes playing through a tiny 30 watt combo at the moment.

Also, my combos a 130 watt amp, but the ampeg is a 140 watt, would that be a problem if i turned the combo into a cab for the ampeg?

thanks for the input by the way.

No because the chances of you getting it that loud are extremely low, the amp is pretty loud, clipping would make it sound like sh!t at that volume and its a stereo amp meaning 2x70 so if you wanted to you would just run it on one side at 70 watts.
Quote by strat0blaster

Fail.

Quote by justinb904
as far as well known(to some legendary) peavey tube amp v. THE ABSOLUTELY EPIC AND LEGENDARY TO ALL ampeg ss amp i'm the only one who's never herd of...
I say go with the Peavey

Well said.

Pretty much anyone who's opinion is of any value when discussing amps for metal is aware of the Ampeg SS and VH amps. They might hold different opinions on it vs. a 5150, but if they're not even aware of it, their opinion is meaningless. It's like discussing classic rock amps without knowing what a Plexi is.

Personally, I'm pretty fond of the Ampeg, but the 5150 is also pretty great. The Ampeg is way more versatile, with JC-120 level cleans and amazing distortion.

The Ampeg is 3x the amp for the price as the 5150, that alone, at least for me, pushes it into the winner's spot.

Slightly off topic, Ampeg's made lots of well regarded, amazing sounding guitar amps. Even now they have a few guitar amps in their line up. Keith Richards uses an Ampeg. Suffocation, Dying Fetus and Eyehategod use this specific Ampeg. Ampeg guitar amps ftw. Also, don't let anyone convince you tube amps are magically better. The Ampeg makes transistors sing, it pwns most low end tube amps and compares nicely to any high gain tube amp. It's a beast.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Aug 24, 2009,
Also pro's and con's

Con's

Loud
Fizzy at low volumes
Noisy
Expensive to retube
Not really versatile

Pro's

Its tube so you get harmonics and warmth
Go to amp for most modern metal
Cuts like no other

Ampeg Vh140c

Con's

Its ss so less harmonics and less warmth
Clipping

Pro's

Tighter
More versatile can do it all and do it well
Low maintenance
Loud
Cheap
Was the go to for a bunch of different types of metal back in the day and some still us it today
Quote by strat0blaster

Another one to look at would be Max Cavalera's signature Peavey - 3505 or something like that.

1) Max Cavalera DOES NOT have a Signature Peavey amp.
2) The Ampeg VH/SS are made for ELECTRIC GUITARS not for BASS.

TS, either one would be great for Modern Metal
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Also I have owned both side by side.. Honestly at times I preferred the Ampeg. Its a no bull**** amp. Plug in, play and enjoy. No well hell like the this setting sounds like crap, I have to have this this and that on to make it sound the way I want it. The thing sounds amazing and its extremely easy to get it there with little effort. Also vintage 30's made it really come alive aswell. Versus the 6505+ was a pain in my a$$. The whole turn it up past 2 on the volume eq then hmmm it still sounds a bit fizzy so you play and call it a day then tunr it off turn it on the next and turn it to 3 and re eq. Sh!t now its feedbacking from hell. Hmm sounds like sh!t whats wrong this time, ohh didnt have the od engaged. Now once I got everything down for pure balls out metal I loved the 6505+ and it came out on top. But then im back to the ampeg for classic rock, blues and cleans. So honestly at times I was like why did I get the 6505+ again
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by STABxYOU
Fail.

Yeah, fail because you don't agree. Nice. Ah well.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
1) Max Cavalera DOES NOT have a Signature Peavey amp.
2) The Ampeg VH/SS are made for ELECTRIC GUITARS not for BASS.

TS, either one would be great for Modern Metal

My bad on the Max - thought I read about it.

And I wasn't suggesting it was or wasn't made for guitars or bass, I just said that I prefer ampeg for bass, not for guitar.

Thanks for playing though.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
5150 is cool. My friend has it, it's really good for metal. Buuut... The cleans, I'm pretty sure are nonexistant. Like, the only way is to pick extremely lightly. Never heard of the Ampeg, though.
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
Quote by strat0blaster
Yeah, fail because you don't agree. Nice. Ah well.

No, the fail comes from not knowing Ampeg makes many great guitar amps.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
No, the fail comes from not knowing Ampeg makes many great guitar amps.

The only person who said I don't know that is you, and you're wrong. I prefer the 5150 in this case. Sorry, but you don't really have to agree.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
The only person who said I don't know that is you, and you're wrong. I prefer the 5150 in this case. Sorry, but you don't really have to agree.

I haven't commented on your preference, and I like 5150s. You're butthurt because I suggested you're ignorant. Bawww.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
I haven't commented on your preference, and I like 5150s. You're butthurt because I suggested you're ignorant. Bawww.

I'm not butthurt, really. I just think it's odd that you drew a conclusion out of something I said that was never there, then tried to play it against me. It doesn't make sense, unless you're just trying to get attention. In that case, you've got it, so...

Happy birthday?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
I'm not voting because this is a difficult choice, and I'm tired.
But, I'll give some insight...

If you can try both of them, DO THAT AND DECIDE FROM THERE. They are both great amps for what you need them for, and either would suit you perfectly.

For budget sake, I would say the Ampeg, but if you can get both... I'm sure IP can tell you they sound good in stereo
I've played on a VH-140C and it is phenomenal for Death Metal, plus the clean channel is not bad at all with the reverb. Granted, I prefer my Marshall. I've played both amps and the VH-140c would probably be a better choice, since it has lower maintenance and if it's a combo easy to haul and gig with. Most likely weighs less than the 5150 as well.
The Ampeg is going to be great for older Death and Suffocation kind of tones. Also thrash, black metal extremely well. Its fairly edgy, but can still produce a nice clean or slightly overdriven sound. Chorus and Delay too? Stereo? They are cool amps.

The 5150 has a really nice lead tone, great for some melo-death. The cleans are usable, especially onthe 6505+, and will be a lot more creamier on the overdrive (metal creamy).
Also is very, very loud.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I didn't like the Ampeg's cleans personally... found them a bit stale, but less noisy also.

...not to say that 5150's have great cleans either.

TS: does your band have 2 guitarists or are you on your own?
Quote by GrisKy
I didn't like the Ampeg's cleans personally... found them a bit stale, but less noisy also.

...not to say that 5150's have great cleans either.

TS: does your band have 2 guitarists or are you on your own?

2 guitarists

thanks for all the feedback.
Quote by GuitaristTrue

Hey I found an ampeg head pretty cheap

i hope its not this one
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2416708

i wanted it :/

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Now call me uneducated, but where in Death Metal is an amp's clean tone an issue?
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Page 1 of 2