Poll: Ampeg VH-140C Or Peavey 5150 For deathmetal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Ampeg VH-140C Or Peavey 5150 For deathmetal?
Peavey 5150
47 62%
Ampeg VH-140C
29 38%
Voters: 76.
Page 2 of 2
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Now call me uneducated, but where in Death Metal is an amp's clean tone an issue?

Myth:Busted
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Myth:Busted

That doesn't answer my question.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
That doesn't answer my question.

Oh but it does. It does indeed.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Oh but it does. It does indeed.

Answering my question would mean citing some examples, whether band or specific song, where Death Metal incorporates anything remotely Fender clean. Quoting Adam and Jamie doesn't.
Well, anyone putting a dist. box infront of an amp is going to need a decent clean channel (as long as the pedal is quality too). And you ever hear of folk metal? Peoples taste change for no reason, and he could have an excellent clean channel too.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Well, anyone putting a dist. box infront of an amp is going to need a decent clean channel (as long as the pedal is quality too). And you ever hear of folk metal? Peoples taste change for no reason, and he could have an excellent clean channel too.

No I don't believe I've ever heard of folk metal. lol.

But he was asking which amp would be good for DEATH metal, not folk metal. That's why I asked why cleans were an issue.

Distortion pedals...yuck.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Answering my question would mean citing some examples, whether band or specific song, where Death Metal incorporates anything remotely Fender clean. Quoting Adam and Jamie doesn't.

It means I agree - the idea that cleans are necessary in death metal was a myth, and your correct statement busted it.

Sorry it was over your head.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
VH-140C.
I've heard it's a JC-120 with a second channel with a metric ****ton of gain. And, according to IbanezPsycho it's got a lot of versatility.

Plus, I'm a Solid State guy.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The Ampeg is an amazing amp - great cleans and an awesome drive channel. Plus, due to the fact that its solid state, your tone will always stay consistent. With tube amps, the tone changes throughout the lifespan of the tubes (i.e. broken-in tubes sound different than new tubes, tubes close to failure sound different, etc.).

My vote goes to the VH-140c
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by strat0blaster
It means I agree - the idea that cleans are necessary in death metal was a myth, and your correct statement busted it.

Sorry it was over your head.

LMFAO. My bad. Triple Shot Expresso caused my neurons to trip over their shoelaces.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The Ampeg is an amazing amp - great cleans and an awesome drive channel. Plus, due to the fact that its solid state, your tone will always stay constant. With tube amps, the tone changes throughout the lifespan of the tubes (i.e. broken-in tubes sound different than new tubes, tubes close to failure sound different, etc.).

My vote goes to the VH-140c

I'm severely interested in trying one.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Oh man, VH140Cs are great amps... I feel a bit of remorse as it was a casualty of GAS for my Vetta. Excellent cleans, and awesome distortion that feels warm and tight. Turn up the gain on Channel B for some blues and classic rock, turn up the gain on Channel A to melt faces. Simple, yet efficient.
Quote by STABxYOU

Pretty much anyone who's opinion is of any value when discussing amps for metal is aware of the Ampeg SS and VH amps. They might hold different opinions on it vs. a 5150, but if they're not even aware of it, their opinion is meaningless. It's like discussing classic rock amps without knowing what a Plexi is.

You don't have to know every single 'metal' amp out there to talk about amps as long as you talk about what you know, I mean, I can't talk about ampeg as I've never tried it, but I'm pretty sure it's safe to put out my opinion on the BG 333XL and the Uberschall, as I've used both extensively, saying otherwise sounds just alittle elitist haha.
Quote by BoxofFun
You don't have to know every single 'metal' amp out there to talk about amps as long as you talk about what you know, I mean, I can't talk about ampeg as I've never tried it, but I'm pretty sure it's safe to put out my opinion on the BG 333XL and the Uberschall, as I've used both extensively, saying otherwise sounds just alittle elitist haha.

I am an elitist.

And, I stand by my opinion. The SS/VH is as much a definitive metal amp as Rectos, JCM800s and 5150s. Not being aware of it's existence shows gapping holes in one's knowledge of high gain amps.

Certainly one can discuss any amp they're familiar with; however when covering entire categories of amps, one should be familiar with the prime examples. It's like talking about an amp for stoner rock without the word Sunn being mentioned.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Oh yeah, the SS Ampeg won't break when it falls out of your sweaty hands and onto that poor groupies head...
Call me a tolerant hippy bastard, but I think its cool to bring a bunch of people into the discussion with different experiences and levels of knowledge on metal amps. Makes it educational for the less gear-centric. If everyone had the same knowledge on amps for teh metulz, you'd just have 3 or four tards on here suggesting the same thing and agreeing with each other. Where's the fun in that?
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Now call me uneducated, but where in Death Metal is an amp's clean tone an issue?

Well, sometimes you have these clean bits as intro, interlude or outro. It's not really a priority but nice cleans would be.. nice..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
****, couldn't tell you which are better cuz I would love to have them both. Got one and am on the search for the other.
So, I've always had a hard-on for 5150's, and you see 'em backstage in the rigs of many bands I (and I'd presume many others on UG) listen to, but the thing is, I can pretty much guarantee that many of those bands are NOT playing stock 5150/6505 series amps (InFlames most readily comes to mind).

I know Trace Davis has a top-notch mod for the series... anyone know of any others that are decent?
Quote by GrisKy
So, I've always had a hard-on for 5150's, and you see 'em backstage in the rigs of many bands I (and I'd presume many others on UG) listen to, but the thing is, I can pretty much guarantee that many of those bands are NOT playing stock 5150/6505 series amps (InFlames most readily comes to mind).

I know Trace Davis has a top-notch mod for the series... anyone know of any others that are decent?

FJA and Voodoo
I very desperately covet the FJA Metal Head Mod on the 5150. I'd love to dial my amp down to 60 watts and have all the clarity and sweep sh!t FJA does to it.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Call me a tolerant hippy bastard, but I think its cool to bring a bunch of people into the discussion with different experiences and levels of knowledge on metal amps. Makes it educational for the less gear-centric. If everyone had the same knowledge on amps for teh metulz, you'd just have 3 or four tards on here suggesting the same thing and agreeing with each other. Where's the fun in that?

Just because you've got a room with half a dozen experts, doesn't mean they're all going to agree. But if you let in another 30 average joes, you won't add that much to the discussion, other than fanboys, ignorance and bandwagonning.

Anyways, no two people, experts or not will share the same knowledge and experience and opinions (meaning it's unlikely to turn into a circle jerk), but if you set the bar for entry higher then 'any random idiot' you filter out a lot of the crap that comes with ignorant people.

If the less knowledgeable people wish to participate, they should keep their position in mind. Your opinions are less meaningful if you're not well versed in the subject, any subject. Case in point, two years ago I wasn't nearly as 'stfu and listen' to people like that, I was one of them, and I sat down, shut up, listened and learned.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I think that the whole 'I know more about metal amps than j00' thing is getting rediculous. Personall, I like my Ampeg, and my next amp will probably be a Peavey JTM. You may have a different want list, and a different have list. Most of our tones are probably pretty decent, and in the end any average joe digging your tunes wont really know much of a difference between the 5150 and the Ampeg. It's personal preference. ****, maybe you should not copy me with my Ampeg, and others withg their Peavey, and run a modded MT-2 through a fender clean channel? Bright, heavy, percussive, sounds like a cool setup to me.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
FJA and Voodoo

Trace is Voodoo. Good call on FJA.
I've been curious about the Ampeg Vh140c too. But, I have heard about the Lee Jackson Ampegs, so how would you compare between the Ampeg Vh140c and the Lee Jackson Ampegs?
Quote by GrisKy
Trace is Voodoo. Good call on FJA.

Ahh gotcha

Quote by swordsman14
I've been curious about the Ampeg Vh140c too. But, I have heard about the Lee Jackson Ampegs, so how would you compare between the Ampeg Vh140c and the Lee Jackson Ampegs?

The lee Jackson Ampegs are basically modded Marshalls. Great amps but totally different then a VH140C
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Ahh gotcha

The lee Jackson Ampegs are basically modded Marshalls. Great amps but totally different then a VH140C

Hey thanks for replying, I know your very wise about this stuff. But, I wanted to know how you compare them soundwise and get all down to the many details and facts about these amps.
Quote by swordsman14
Hey thanks for replying, I know your very wise about this stuff. But, I wanted to know how you compare them soundwise and get all down to the many details and facts about these amps.

Modded Marshall will sound like a modded Marshall no matter what you do with the settings generally.. Vs a Ampeg VH140C can do a modded marshall tone, Modern metal tone, Jazz tone and more. It has a Ultra Mid option that is pretty much like todays ISF function on the HT5. It really changes up the voicing of the amp. So that said I would go with the VH140C if you need versatility and a modern metal tone.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Modded Marshall will sound like a modded Marshall no matter what you do with the settings generally.. Vs a Ampeg VH140C can do a modded marshall tone, Modern metal tone, Jazz tone and more. It has a Ultra Mid option that is pretty much like todays ISF function on the HT5. It really changes up the voicing of the amp. So that said I would go with the VH140C if you need versatility and a modern metal tone.

Thanks man for the info But if that case, why is the Lee Jackson Ampegs so much more expensive then the Vh140c when the Vh140c seems to be more versatile then?
Quote by swordsman14
Thanks man for the info But if that case, why is the Lee Jackson Ampegs so much more expensive then the Vh140c when the Vh140c seems to be more versatile then?

There tube, short and simple
Quote by IbanezPsycho
It has a Ultra Mid option that is pretty much like todays ISF function on the HT5.

What is this, btw? I have been wondering and wondering. Maybe an active mid control I was thinking, but really have no idea.
Page 2 of 2