Page 1 of 2
Ever since I got "decent" at guitar I've not been able to listen to a song without hearing all of the individual instruments. I mean yeah that's cool at times, but I liked before when I just heard a song all together. It was a wall of awesome noise and there was no way I could distinguish the guitar, bass, and drums from eachother.

I also seem to visualize me or the artist who made the song playing it in my head. I've thought up music videos inside my head for nearly every song in my library because of this. I never really did this before playing guitar.
I used to only pay attention to the guitar. After learning, I started listening to other parts.
It's only made me appreciate each instrument and know the instruments place in the sound.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
It's only made me appreciate each instrument and know the instruments place in the sound.

basically the answer
I can still do that, I can focus on individual instruments, or the song as a whole.

I'm so fly.
it ruined linkin park for me, now i can only listen to music with exciting guitar
absolutely...I have much more appreciation for amazing riffs and solos and realized that bands like Dream Theater aren't mainstream because not everyone is a musician. I think every musician will agree they are quite talented (except the singer.....) whether they like their music or not.

On the flip side, it also made me realize how terrible musically some "professionals" are haha
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by guitarhero_764
Bass is a guitar too.

What on earth makes you think I play bass?

Nah, but really, I play a bit of guitar, bass, and drums, and I can pick out the individual instruments in a song, and I can kind of figure where on the fretboard the guitarist is.
It has for me. I pay more attention to the music and I appreciate it a whole lot more.
Quote by thewho65
They get payed to sit in restaurants and attract people? I would think paying a bunch of fat people to sit in your restaurant would be more effective.

"Let's eat there."

"Why?"

"Those fatasses seem to be enjoying it."
I've always respected all instruments being that I have a pretty musical family, but I definitely do hear each instrument when I'm listening to music.
It has
before I started playing bass, I hardly paid attention to basslines
after I learned about recording instruments, I get kind of pissed off now hearing just how many guitar tracks are actually used in modern rock music.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Learning a song by tab ruins any awe I've had for that song. It's kind of depressing.
I can't wait till my fro is full grown.
Its changed my tastes a bit. Now I mainly listen to stuff where at least either one instrument is impossible to play, the vocals are amazing, or where the entire band has a really majestic and full sound.

EDIT: and spending too much time on a song makes it suck to me. I no longer listen to master of puppets
Last edited by sporkman7 at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by joshua122593
Yeah.

It trips me out whenever I hear a song on the radio that I can play.

I can't help but air guitar when stuff like that happens.
As well as making me appreciate music more, listening to a kickass song (especially live) makes me want to be up on that stage playing that killer riff or solo.

I love to epicness Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I got Flight 666 and that part where the solos begin after the slow bit. Oh. My. God. The fireworks, the lights, the crowd. Adrian is a lucky man to be playing that first solo!
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
It ruined ****ty music for me. I just can't enjoy generic pop rock/alternative anymore!

Thank god, I used to be such a ***
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
Quote by crazy8rgood
I can still do that, I can focus on individual instruments, or the song as a whole.

I'm so fly.

Me too!

I remember within my first month of playing guitar my friend was playing "Californication" (he had just started about two month's prior). I was like "Dude, you're leaving a few notes out."

He was playing it right, I didn't realize that it was the bass I was hearing
Quote by blackthought
You assume I play guitar. Ha, ha! to that.

You assume you should be posting in this thread. haha to that
Dont sig me, bro!

Quote by Unourrit01
i love you.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lulstack?
At first I just notice the guitar. Once I've heard a song all the way through and hear it again I just hear the whole song though.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by guitarhero_764
Ever since I got "decent" at guitar I've not been able to listen to a song without hearing all of the individual instruments. I mean yeah that's cool at times, but I liked before when I just heard a song all together. It was a wall of awesome noise and there was no way I could distinguish the guitar, bass, and drums from eachother.

I also seem to visualize me or the artist who made the song playing it in my head. I've thought up music videos inside my head for nearly every song in my library because of this. I never really did this before playing guitar.

Let it grow on you. You'll realize the separation is what makes music so great and fun.
Pretty much the same for me. But now I have trouble listening to all these new sort of punk/rock bands coming out, because i know how simple and ridiculous most of the music is.

Now if I find a good song by one of these bands I'll listen to it, but most of it I can't enjoy.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I'm a bassist, and it's actually made music more enjoyable for me, although that may be because I'm a very analytical person, and like to understand things. I can even pick out of the hi-hat now, which carries me through when I'm on a car ride and the driver's playing country; btw, I've noticed every country song uses the exact same drumbeat.

HH|-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x|
Sn|-----x-------x--|
Bd|-x-------x------|

And then they just throw in some half-assed fill every 8 measures or so. I mean, I know it's kind of the standard 4/4 beat, but come on!
Quote by lordofthefood1
I get kind of pissed off now hearing just how many guitar tracks are actually used in modern rock music.

Same here; I mean, I get having two guitarists if your band uses them, but some bands have like, 3-6 guitar tracks on some songs; it's kind of sad.

Quote by floppypick
Pretty much the same for me. But now I have trouble listening to all these new sort of punk/rock bands coming out, because i know how simple and ridiculous most of the music is.

Now if I find a good song by one of these bands I'll listen to it, but most of it I can't enjoy.
Personally, I still like bands like Panic At The Disco and The Killers, but when I look at their bassist, I think "Dammit; I'm better than this guy!".
Last edited by herby190 at Aug 24, 2009,
learning guitar pro and composing has changed my outlook much more than just learning guitar. I can pick out individual instruments, including bass. I can no longer listen to ac'dc or aerosmith becuase the drums go (bass, snare, bass, snare) or (bass bass snare, bass bass snare)
Quote by herby190
Same here; I mean, I get having two guitarists if your band uses them, but some bands have like, 3-6 guitar tracks on some songs; it's kind of sad.

... Unless your band happens to be pre-Machina Smashing Pumpkins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcNP9JE0bs

Intro solo = golden, and there has to be like, 8 guitars playing in there.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Aug 24, 2009,
It's absolutely ruined music for me.
I consider 95% of bands out there to be a complete waste of time.

I don't mean to come off as an elitist prick or anything, but it's just how playing guitar's changed my perspective on music.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
I feel that I can distinguish different instruments and dissect them better than before. I don't think I ever payed attention before. Overall, I'd say I appreciate musicianship more now.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Yes. A lot.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
It made me realize that the generic new age rock bands I had been listening to were **** and takes absolutely no talent to compose a song like that.
If you can play three or four 5ths then you can make a mainstream song

But yeahh.. It made me listen to bands as a whole more.. I can always distinguish notes from any instrument and I pay attention to percussion as well.. I guess simply from being around it often from bands and whatnot.

It's kind of sad that some people don't hear music this way..
To them it's just a bunch of whatever with some vocals over it.

Probably why people think the mainstream new stuff is good..
Quote by rockingamer2
As well as making me appreciate music more, listening to a kickass song (especially live) makes me want to be up on that stage playing that killer riff or solo.

I love to epicness Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I got Flight 666 and that part where the solos begin after the slow bit. Oh. My. God. The fireworks, the lights, the crowd. Adrian is a lucky man to be playing that first solo!

i know what you mean bro. dude watching Muse live and saying to many OMG I CAN PLAY THAT!! is such an awesome feeling because it feels like i am semi pro haha and sometimes i imagine myself up there jamming right in front
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Oscar Wilde
Quote by guitarhero_764
I can't help but air guitar when stuff like that happens.

Haha, I'm always like "Wait guys, I know this part." Then start playing the solo on air guitar, as if I could actually make a mistake
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
it wasn't really guitar itself that ruined music for me. it was more a thing of learning the theory behind it. now i'll be listening to a song and just be thinking "DAMN HALF-CADANCE"
Playing guitar exposed me to much more progressive music, and it has made me appreciate the value of every instrument involved in a band.
Page 1 of 2