#1
NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE WHOLE SONG. I just improvised over the backing track, are at least just part of it...

It's sloppy at times, yeah, but I hope it wasn't too bad. Please keep your insults inside of you and constructively tell me what I can do to be better.

Hey, at least I tried!

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlIjdF98dHM
Quote by nintendocly
During practice once, my bass player was trying to act cool and headbang and I hit him in the face with sharp head of my washburn (accident maybe). Theres still a tiny bit of blood in my guitar, I think its kinda cool
Last edited by Assface137 at Aug 24, 2009,
#2
Turn up your amp.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
#3
You can't hear me? That's me playing. It's only the backing track...
Quote by nintendocly
During practice once, my bass player was trying to act cool and headbang and I hit him in the face with sharp head of my washburn (accident maybe). Theres still a tiny bit of blood in my guitar, I think its kinda cool
#4
Um, alright, so, your'e not a bad player, I guess, but you ARE a bad musician. You payed no attention to staying within any keys or scales and you just played as fast you possibly could anywhere on the fretboard. I think I'm safe in saying that 97% of what you played didn't even go with the backing track, lol especially not the parts where you can actually hear both the backing track AND the guitar. The other 3% comes from you randomly fretting notes within the key of the song.

However, if you put that speed to good use, you could actually learn how to make music. I don't know exactly what to tell you, but for starters, you definitely need to learn some scales. And then, actually more importantly, you need to train your ear to know what sounds good, and what sounds bad. I say this with the best intention. I can't play as fast you, but what I play will make sense, and it will have a direction, emotion, or even a message. Probably much easier said than done, but you need to learn how to do this, or else playing guitar probably shouldn't be your thing.

Secondly, gotta fix that tone. Even bad-mediocre playing could sound half-decent as long as your tone is good. Likewise it makes good playing sound even better.

I hope I didn't offend you too much, but you have potential, and it would be a waste if you did nothing with it.
#5
Alright thanks dude. I appreciate any help.

What scales would you say sound best within FTLOG? I tried E Dorian and E Lydian for the most part and thought it wasn't too bad at first...
Quote by nintendocly
During practice once, my bass player was trying to act cool and headbang and I hit him in the face with sharp head of my washburn (accident maybe). Theres still a tiny bit of blood in my guitar, I think its kinda cool
#6
Sounds like you just mashed together every solo you ever learned into four and a half minutes of WEHRWERNWELRHWERWEHRWEHWHER.


I tried to say it in the most sophisticated manner possible.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
#7
lol thanks guys for not being dicks, any good help is fine.

What modes are good for this song though? I tried the Dorian and Lydian ones.
Quote by nintendocly
During practice once, my bass player was trying to act cool and headbang and I hit him in the face with sharp head of my washburn (accident maybe). Theres still a tiny bit of blood in my guitar, I think its kinda cool
#8
Not bad at all. I would definitely work on your picking if I were you, though.

Watch some Paul Gilbert videos. Picking from the wrist will help lots with speed and clarity.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
#9
My advice to you is to slow it down a bit. Remember that it's quality not quantity. Just because you can play that fast doesn't mean it sounds good at all.

You definitely have the chops. But you are lacking all of the musical theory. Like what ROMEO2413 said: You payed no attention to staying within any keys or scales and you just played as fast you possibly could anywhere on the fretboard. I think I'm safe in saying that 97% of what you played didn't even go with the backing track, lol especially not the parts where you can actually hear both the backing track AND the guitar. The other 3% comes from you randomly fretting notes within the key of the song.

Instead of all that guitar wankery. Take it down a notch and feel what you are playing. Let the backtrack play the solo for you.
#10
hmm yah what all those guys above me said. not so much on the "emotion" as i dont really believe making faces makes you sound much better, but definitely learn to use each note to continue the melody as opposed to repeating it as many times as you can in a second. also, you dont use your ring, middle, or pinky finger very much. your bends also need some help.

check my stuff out in my profile?
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
#11
Hm....Yeah, I'll try to pick using my wrist more often, one other problem I tend to have is that I tend to be too stressed on my fingers and raise them too high, etc.

But what are good modes to use? Because I tried Dorian and Lydian and those didn't sound great....Or was I playing too fast for one to decipher the notes?
Quote by nintendocly
During practice once, my bass player was trying to act cool and headbang and I hit him in the face with sharp head of my washburn (accident maybe). Theres still a tiny bit of blood in my guitar, I think its kinda cool