bass isnt my forte instrument ive played around with it, but ive been getting a little more into it, mostly effects wise, i.e. distortion, wah and whatnot. so i was wondering, i mean i know that there are seperate bass and guitar wahs, but are dist. pedals made just for bass???
bassists usually use either drive or fuzz. you would benefit from poking around bassfuzz.com, I think.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
there are bass "specific" effects, most of which include distortion/overdrive and chorus (there is a bass reverb out there and a bass wah (but I think it is discontinued?))

basically they sound better for a bass than guitar effects because they are made to handle the bass (while a guitar effect is not designed for bass, but you can still run bass through them)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I have an EH Big Muff pi and it's pretty good, it serves it's purpose. I like my bass tone to have some distortion but not have a lot so i like it.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by TrabenBassist22
I have an EH Big Muff pi and it's pretty good, it serves it's purpose. I like my bass tone to have some distortion but not have a lot so i like it.

Hang on, you are saying a Big Muff does not have a lot of distortion?

As for effects, distortions and filters (inc. wah) are generally made more specifically for bass due to the different frequency range. All bass ones will work on guitar, but only a very small minority of guitar ones work well with bass. An example is the supercollider. It's a guitar fuzz, but as it was made with doom metal in mind, it was made to handle very low, deep guitar sounds, so is awesome on bass unlike the big muff it is based on.

Modulation effects tend to work fine with either, but some are bass specific. For example, some chorus, flanger etc pedals for bass have a low pass filter, so the lows are not effected, so the sound can work better in a band mix. Octavers are built to deal with the lower range (but most analogue ones struggle below the A) and digital ones are generally fine to begin with.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack

If you roll down the sustain you can get a fat bit of grit so it doesn't really sound crunched.

also what I find with pedals is everyone likes different things, you are gonna have to try them out to see if you like them, and your going to have to play them with your band to see if they will work.

You might have found an awesome flange and think its the bee's knees, bring in with a drummer and a guitarist, and you have lost the effect sound, or the bass is lost, or the whole thing just sounds washy and spaced out, or it could be the best thing that's happened to the band's sound.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
With experimentation, you can get a lot of use out of guitar effect pedals on bass, just be aware that the typical settings for guitar will probably sound bad - especially playing with others.
I had a big collection of pawnshop guitar pedals that worked great. My favourite was a Tube Screamer, which gave me a nice pressence/substain boost.
That said, if you can afford it, get bass effect pedals.
Quote by gm jack

As for effects, distortions and filters (inc. wah) are generally made more specifically for bass due to the different frequency range. All bass ones will work on guitar, but only a very small minority of guitar ones work well with bass. An example is the supercollider. It's a guitar fuzz, but as it was made with doom metal in mind, it was made to handle very low, deep guitar sounds, so is awesome on bass unlike the big muff it is based on.

Modulation effects tend to work fine with either, but some are bass specific. For example, some chorus, flanger etc pedals for bass have a low pass filter, so the lows are not effected, so the sound can work better in a band mix. Octavers are built to deal with the lower range (but most analogue ones struggle below the A) and digital ones are generally fine to begin with.

well yea you can get a lot of distortion out of it but i use if for a touch of distortion.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by TrabenBassist22
well yea you can get a lot of distortion out of it but i use if for a touch of distortion.

I guess it just depends on what you define as a touch of distortion. For me, low gain tones are barely noticeable unless you really dig in.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1