Hi all,

Up to this point, our singer has been singing through an old stereo system I had lying around. Not great quality, but its a stereo with 2x foot-high external speakers. We can barely hear him over everything else, and until we invest in our own PA we're going to have to find a short term solution.

Someone told me to run him through my old 100w bass amp. Admittedly, I don't know that much about the subject, but this immediately sent up a red flag in my head.

Would running the vocals through a 100w bass amp 1) be loud enough to handle a 4 piece band, and 2) will it affect the amp in any way?

If this is not an option, can you suggest anything else for us to use in the interim?
1.) 100W bass amp should be loud enough to be heard over the rest of the band.
2.) Singing through a bass amp should not affect it or do any damage.

It will work, but it won't sound very good.
i have a friend who sang through a bass amp at one of his shows a couple of weeks ago. he didn't play with a band though, he just had an acoustic guitar
Quote by CDubDSP
1.) 100W bass amp should be loud enough to be heard over the rest of the band.
2.) Singing through a bass amp should not affect it or do any damage.

It will work, but it won't sound very good.

Cheers for that I don't mind if it doesn't sound great. At the moment when we have him loud enough for us to hear, the stereo begins to distort and feedback a bit.
I wish more vocalists out there would invest in equipment like a gutarist would. Most small PA rigs are a few hundred dollars. Plenty for rehersal and such, such as...

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-LX-1504-PA-MIXER-4-CHANNEL_W0QQitemZ150366411584QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2302895b40&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Of course, one would need a mic, a cable, and a stand.

TS - The Bass amp will be fine, and it will work, but if your singer is devout, he should invest in a small mixer of his own for rehersal. You may not need a whole PA until you need to set up your own gigs. Most bars/clubs/venues have house sound, so the PA would be a great mess at rehersal. An acoustic Gutar amp such as a Roland AC series would be better, and would serve some great monitor functions on stage if you ever gigged.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
A decent keyboard amp works okay for vocals too. They often come equipped with XLR inputs also.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'll give it a go at practice today. He has a mic, stand and lead but he's a uni student so he's broke.

We've often discussed it with him. I've shelled out over $3000 and my lead just payed $5500 for a Gibson LP. Then again, we both have full-time jobs.

We've said all proceeds from our gigs goes towards buying our own PA (any suggestions) because we're starting to gig around town, but a lot of the pubs don't have an in-house PA. We're paying ~$300 to hire a set, but only getting paid $500. Of course, no one said it was going to be easy...
Like CT touched on, thesedays you can get decent sounding mics on semi-unrelated equipment like 4 track recorders, keyboards, etc. I wouldn't choose a bass amp if I were you.

P.S. If you play loudly through a bass amp, on a guitar, it'll blow up and you'll die.
Quote by samoo
Like CT touched on, thesedays you can get decent sounding mics on semi-unrelated equipment like 4 track recorders, keyboards, etc. I wouldn't choose a bass amp if I were you.

P.S. If you play loudly through a bass amp, on a guitar, it'll blow up and you'll die.

Reverse bass and guitar.
I've had my singer sing through a 100w bass amp before. The volume is terrible, maybe 1/2 or even less of what a bass playing through it would get. We also can't turn the volume above half without it feedbacking to hell. We have a wireless mic and stand about 30 feet away from the amp, it still feedbacks. It will work, but expect to turn everything down.
We tried it last night and it wasn't much better than the stereo we were using. Although the quality was a bit better, the volume was very low (as Morrock said). So we could either sacrifice volume for quality, or vice versa. We've opted to go with volume.

Just to clarify, this question was about what to use for practice only. We use a full PA to gig.

Whats the going rate for a 'decent' PA (front-of-house speakers, mixer, mics, foldbacks)? Any suggestions?
Quote by kyle62
For practice, certainly. For gigs? Absolutely no way.

We've played a couple gigs with a band that used their 120 watt keyboard amp that we used as well. It was louder than the PA the venue had. It might be loud enough depending on the amp.
Gotta love the mentality of singers. Guitarists have to buy their own guitars, amps, cabs, strings, and picks, but 60% of the singers we audition come in with a 15 watt guitar amp or just expect us to have a P.A. and they refuse to shell out $500 for a decent setup.