nope, just went about things in the wrong order like me
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
lead and rhythm playing are very different concepts, it's very easy to be better at one than the other
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Im going to go psychic right now:

You like playing solos, so you play pentatonic scales all day long, with lead guitar riffs from your favorite bands. But not rythm, because its not as fun when you're alone?

You'll get over it when you start playing with other people.

Edit: you're not screwed. But spend 6 months learning rythm now, maybe with some theory, and I guarantee youll improve your soloing as well as become a more versatile player all around.
Last edited by pensiveintensiv at Aug 24, 2009,
I"m the opposite I am far better at Rhythm than lead. I can't play lead that well. In fact I like Rhythm more than lead. It makes it easier to get a spot because every other guitarist wants to play lead but the guys who wanna play rhythm will get the spot because not every other guy wants to be Rhythm.
Good, it's weird because I can play basic chords fine and I'm pretty good at solo's but not a rock or metal rhythm playing and prefer lead to rhythm.
Here's the thing though. In order to be a really great lead player you also need to be good at rhythm. So... Start practicing your rhythm
You get better at what you practice, so if you spend all of your practice time working on scales and leads, that's what you'll be better at. If you want to improve your rhythm, spend more of your practice time on rhythm.
You're probably not as good at lead as you think because you probably haven't developed a very good sense of rhythm. Because you haven't played rhythm much at all.

Behind every good lead player, no matter what the instrument, I can almost guarantee there's a very solid rhythm player.
I'm by no stretch of the imagination great, I'm okay.

part of the reason is that it's boring to play rhythm by yourself when your not in a band.
Just picking out notes and arpeggios eventually becomes boring.

Try to mix rhythm into your solo. Use phrasing and add some chords here and there (Even if they're just simple power chords) to break the monotony.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Quote by Scopic
Just picking out notes and arpeggios eventually becomes boring.

Try to mix rhythm into your solo. Use phrasing and add some chords here and there (Even if they're just simple power chords) to break the monotony.

This...

you can only sweep so long before it gets repetitive, boring, and just plain blah..

i find coming up with interesting rhythms and rifts more fun then shreding...
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by Scopic

Third'ed

Actually, I'd like to rephrase that though. Instead of mixing rhythm into your solo, work solo into your rhythm.
Third'ed

Actually, I'd like to rephrase that though. Instead of mixing rhythm into your solo, work solo into your rhythm.

I do do stuff like this

D---------------------------------------------------5h7------
A------------4h6-----------5h8p5-----------5h6-----7p6-- Ect.
E-000-0-0------000-0-0---------222-2-2-----------------

I think maybe I'm bored with playing metal/rock I probably need to go over to acoustic for a while and play more celtic and irish music.