Page 1 of 2
I know i make a bunch of these but i'm never satisfied and change my mind so frequently...

So im gonna go all out for my next guitar (all out being under 2k) and im looking for a string thru (or a good trem that can keep good, not super tight high gauge, tension in drop B/C), 24 jumbo/extra jumbo fret guitar, with (most important of all) GOOD FRET ACCESS.

Im tired of guitars that stop my hand at the 22nd/23rd fret, i need them all. Active pickups are also necessary, preferably EMG's, but not a deal breaker if they aren't EMG's.

The Jackson DKMG looked like it had good fret access, and it has EMG's and that trans red is cool looking, but i dont know about a Jackson trem...

Any suggestions?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
The Washburn Nuno Bettencourt model has a pretty ridiculous cutaway; they actually had to add a support block onto the top wing in order for the neck to be completely stable.

I also remember seeing this guitar with a stupid huge cutaway that extended all the way past the end of the neck...talk about fret access..
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
need 24 frets, giving good access on 22, isn't any different than what i have now

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Carvin DC127 and ST300 fret access is amazing. Better than anything else I've tried, and you can get it with an OFR if you're worried about a trem. Or string-thru, or stop-tail, or wilkinson.
active pickups

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
active pickups

Yeah.. that's the Carvin drawback for some people. I personally have never met an active pup I liked so I don't mind at all. Passives all the way. Still, pups can always be changed, I buy a guitar for the guitar, not for the pups.
Quote by stratman7
Yeah.. that's the Carvin drawback for some people. I personally have never met an active pup I liked so I don't mind at all. Passives all the way. Still, pups can always be changed, I buy a guitar for the guitar, not for the pups.

yeah i just dont have the time, and wont have the time for a long while, so i was looking for a guitar that would be good out of the box (i can set it up myself)

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Nothing comes to mind. Get a custom guitar from Ormsby or Warmoth. It may be a tad more expensive, but it will be damm well worth it. For good fret access I'd suggest an SG or a V
Last edited by 1nSingularity at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by SPBY
I know i make a bunch of these but i'm never satisfied and change my mind so frequently...

So im gonna go all out for my next guitar (all out being under 2k) and im looking for a string thru (or a good trem that can keep good, not super tight high gauge, tension in drop B/C), 24 jumbo/extra jumbo fret guitar, with (most important of all) GOOD FRET ACCESS.

Im tired of guitars that stop my hand at the 22nd/23rd fret, i need them all. Active pickups are also necessary, preferably EMG's, but not a deal breaker if they aren't EMG's.

The Jackson DKMG looked like it had good fret access, and it has EMG's and that trans red is cool looking, but i dont know about a Jackson trem...

Any suggestions?

Tried the ESP Horizon line? Theyre neck-thru's and have no heel at all + EMG's and 24 frets. In fact ESP are probably youre best bet considering youre requirements in my opinion. Most of their models are availible with EMG's and 24 frets, its just the body shape you need to decide. In your case a "V", "Explorer" or "Super-strat" are the ones which are going to give you best access to the top frets. ESP's build quality is right up there too. Anyway, that's my two cents worth. Good luck!
well my new ibanez the rgr421exfm has passive Designed by emg pickups but they can be replaced but wow this guitar is beutiful i love it to death check it out but be aware that only the red have emg designed pick ups the purple have V7 V8 pickups
Quote by iamawsomeguitar
well my new ibanez the rgr421exfm has passive Designed by emg pickups but they can be replaced but wow this guitar is beutiful i love it to death check it out but be aware that only the red have emg designed pick ups the purple have V7 V8 pickups

Mine's a red finish RGR421EXFM and it has Ibanez V7 & V8 pups stock. Freaking beautiful guitar I agree too, ridiculous value for money.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Jackson SLSMG

/thread
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
The best fret access I have ever seen is on my Alvarez Dana Scoop.

Unfortunately they no longer make them

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by johnro6659

John

Wow, not even my SG could beat that fret access...

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Archieisted
schecter guitars, almost all ofthem have uber access

the ones i've played stop me at 20...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Parker Fly is the ultimate fret access. It has NO neck joint, and the horns allow ultimate access.

but no actives. It might be out of your price range, but they are beautys.

only 3-4 pounds, only half to 1inch thick.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Last edited by CKYIbanezParker at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by johnro6659

*sweet guitar*

John

That's amazing.

Anyway TC, I think an SG carved top or Diablo if you can manage to find one. And also a Parker Fly.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by SPBY
the ones i've played stop me at 20...

*grabs Schecter, slides hand to upper frets, notes that pinky is right at the 24th*

Schecters ultra-access heel is near perfect IMO, what models have you played because this is the first time i've heard someone complain about a Schecters fret access

If you can, try a Hellraiser FR, that should fill all your needs for under 1k (and maybe the heel will feel better to you?)
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Personally, I would go out and try a Musicman John Petrucci Model. The pickups are not passive, but from how the guitar sounds in tunings like C standard is still very beefy and completely metal. The access in the guitar is insane and it is also nice to not have to worry about having a floyd.

here are all the specs: http://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/john-petrucci.html
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Quote by TheBigProjekt
V guitars.

Pretty much THE best fret access

Look at ESP's and Jacksons.

Sure about that? I remember playing a V way back, I swear the heel of the neck starts around 17th fret.
Quote by Blast For Satan
Sure about that? I remember playing a V way back, I swear the heel of the neck starts around 17th fret.

All the ones I've played had amazing fret access, IDK, some might just have some bad heels
Quote by LP_CL
Jackson SLSMG

/thread

^ This. The SLSMG has everything you're looknig for, TS.
Quote by johnro6659

John

That's the guitar I was thinking of!
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by leftyace
*grabs Schecter, slides hand to upper frets, notes that pinky is right at the 24th*

Schecters ultra-access heel is near perfect IMO, what models have you played because this is the first time i've heard someone complain about a Schecters fret access

If you can, try a Hellraiser FR, that should fill all your needs for under 1k (and maybe the heel will feel better to you?)

pinky at the high e on the 24th? sure, but i sweep up to the 24th, and the horn stops my wrist from touching the low e on a bunch of the frets. also i dont like the thick necks they have, im accustomed to esp and ibanez prestige necks.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by Blast For Satan
Parker Fly.

i wouldn't be able to sweep on the 24th on the low e on that guitar without doing a big wrist bend, the cutout has to go past the 24th fret or at least come to it.

my hands are pretty big, also so...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by johnro6659

Can I just say...LOL
ESP V ?
Or the 27 fret ibanez rofl
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by johnro6659

John

they're selling one of those at the guitar shop i go to for super cheap, i love that shop...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
My schecter c-1 hellraiser FR has great fret access. I could easily get to a 26th fret, it it had that.
If you're worried about playing bodom why dont you just get an alexi sig...? If he can play his parts on his guitar you should be able to do the same.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Vs generally are the best, super strats are ok. I cut a bit more away from my Jackson, sometimes the horn can get in the way if you play up there with your thumb behind the neck.
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by JWD32792
If you're worried about playing bodom why dont you just get an alexi sig...? If he can play his parts on his guitar you should be able to do the same.

cuz i dont wanna sig, also, i do like bodom, but did i ever say anything about them? just wondering how you knew

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
cuz i dont wanna sig, also, i do like bodom, but did i ever say anything about them? just wondering how you knew

ESP SV

You'd have to import it though.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by iamawsomeguitar

Quote by James13v
Mine's a red finish RGR421EXFM and it has Ibanez V7 & V8 pups stock. Freaking beautiful guitar I agree too, ridiculous value for money.

I researched this quite a bit because I just bought one myself.

The 2007 model was red, with the "designed by EMG pickups." The 2008 model was also red, but they switched to V7/V8. The Purple one is 2009, with V7/V8.

I personally went with the 2008 model.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-XPT700-Extended-27Fret-Electric-Guitar?sku=501364

If you cant get to the 24th fret on that, your out of luck i think. BUT there are no active pickups in that, so i don't know if you are still interested.

Edit: and spend the extra on an OFR, if it is a drop-in on the model.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
Last edited by Blakeu224 at Aug 26, 2009,
Page 1 of 2