So I've been playing bass for a couple of years, and I'd like to think that I can play pretty well. The thing is, I never took lessons so I don't know much about chords. I have certain questions I need answered. I don't suppose one of you guys could PM me your IM screenname so we could figure this out?

J-Edit: Thanks in advance
Last edited by jbridge90 at Aug 24, 2009,
Well I can probably help, but it might be easier if you just posted your questions here instead of PM... That is what the forum is here for after all.
Well for instance one of my many questions is, why would a D on the A string sound better than a C# on the A string when played to a C#m Chord? I just need some 1 on 1 help thats my reasoning. All that the lessons on here do is end up confusing me quite a bit.
a D note over a C#m chord wouldn't sound good at all

PM me if you want though, I should be able to help.
Quote by jbridge90
Well for instance one of my many questions is, why would a D on the A string sound better than a C# on the A string when played to a C#m Chord? I just need some 1 on 1 help thats my reasoning. All that the lessons on here do is end up confusing me quite a bit.

What? D should be one of the most dissonant notes possible next to a C#m (b9). What do you mean by "sound better"?
you mean a d chord with an A base?
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
you can pm me if you like - but it's more beneficial to you if you can get several different wordings to your answers rather than just taking one at face value. That's the advantage of an open-forum someone may word something in a way that just clicks. It also benefits the community as a whole you may well be asking the same question as someone else. If it's on the main page then we don't have to answer twice

but yer i'm happy to help - as are almost all the MT regulars and browsers
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Maybe you are your guitar player are tuned differently
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Record him while he's playing secretly and then tell him that some other guy wants to join and he sent a recording.

When your friend says, "Man, this guys sucks", tell him, "It's you, dumbass"
So just to clarify you are playing a D note over C# E and G# ?
Are there other notes in the chord being played?
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Record him while he's playing secretly and then tell him that some other guy wants to join and he sent a recording.

When your friend says, "Man, this guys sucks", tell him, "It's you, dumbass"
I think you're starting way above your head. Learn as a beginner does (which you are). Open chords and barre chord shapes. Get a chord chart.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I think you're starting way above your head. Learn as a beginner does (which you are). Open chords and barre chord shapes. Get a chord chart.

He's playing bass...

He should learn chord construction, and make his own 'shapes'.