alright i have a problem plauging my whammy 4. my cousin, being the ****tard he is, pluged a nine volt dc adapter into it whilst i was out of the house, and when i got back, he said it wouldnt work. (he didnt leave it plugged in) and i asked him what adapter he used and said the 9v and i said "cause thats the wrong adapter u tard! anyway. now iv plugged the 18v and the lights wont even come on. iv tried the recalibrate thing and that didnt work. could it be the power supply? or is my whammy jus fryed?
If love was money I could afford you honey.

Bandalism [Ban-dil-i-zem] n.: the willful or malicious destruction of, or damage to, the fabric of a rock/pop/indie/metal group brought about by one or more of its members.
Normally lower voltages don't hurt electronics. Are the barrels actually the same size on the 2 adapters?

Weird. Sure he didn't do it in the bathtub? Or drop it? Or maybe the polarity was reversed.

You might find a blown fuze inside or a resetable circuit breaker. Or maybe some other blown components that would be easily replaced. Cross your fingers it's not the intigrated circuits.
depends if the 18v adaptor is ac. if it is you might be screwed

AC mean alternating current meaning it goes in then comes back.

DC is disconnecting current meaning it goes it and stays.

im pretty sure most pedals are all powered by DC but i might be wrong.

anyways if it was a DC adaptor and your whammy 4 uses AC you might have fryed a capacitor or transformer or whatever is inside.
(not really good at the innards of pedals.)
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's
It might also have been the wrong flow of DC as well. As in negative tip ring as opposed to positive tip ring. It depends on the adapter. If so, it might have busted a capacitor.
Quote by Draind
depends if the 18v adaptor is ac. if it is you might be screwed

im pretty sure most pedals are all powered by DC but i might be wrong.

anyways if it was a DC adaptor and your whammy 4 uses AC you might have fryed a capacitor or transformer or whatever is inside.
(not really good at the innards of pedals.)

DC is direct current, isn't it?
Quote by The Testtube
It might also have been the wrong flow of DC as well. As in negative tip ring as opposed to positive tip ring. It depends on the adapter. If so, it might have busted a capacitor.

The Whammy is AC so polarity doesnt matter, but the DC could have fried it. Plus its digital, so it may be something worse than just a cap.
Quote by Draind

Lol wut?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Led Dirigible
DC is direct current, isn't it?

technically the same thing but direct current is usually associated with batterys and power cells and stuff.

if its a power adapter they usually are talking about disconnecting current

but generally its the same thing.
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Quote by Draind
technically the same thing but direct current is usually associated with batterys and power cells and stuff.

if its a power adapter they usually are talking about disconnecting current

but generally its the same thing.

No, DC is direct current. If it was disconnecting, it wouldn't work because there needs to be a complete circuit for current to flow.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Lol wut?

a good example is(but this isnt always true) if you look at a Xbox360 the power cord has a huge ass box on it. that usually means its an AC adapter because electricity flows through the outlet to the system then back out(dont know why really) and so you dont blow up your house they electricity flowing back is caught into that box and shot back out again.

DC is like your cell charger. one hunk of plastic that connects to the wall then a cord.

Usually AC is used for things that are meant to be plugged in at all times (like the xbox)

and DC is for things that are usually connected 24/7(like the cell charger, which goes into the whole thing of Phantom energy....but thats a whole different thing...)

i could be slightly wrong on some things but thats the gist of things.

i took a music recording techniques class and we spent 2 days learning about this for some reason...
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Durrr, DC is direct current. It feeds a constant voltage, not "it goes and stays" whatever the hell that means.
EDIT: You don't have to teach me, I'm an EE.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Last edited by Dr.Pain-MD at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by littlephil
No, DC is direct current. If it was disconnecting, it wouldn't work because there needs to be a complete circuit for current to flow.

that you are right, sir. my bad
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Durrr, DC is direct current. It feeds a constant voltage, not "it goes and stays" whatever the hell that means.
EDIT: You don't have to teach me, I'm an EE.

i have a weird way of explaining things.

and i like explaining things haha
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Draind...don't take this the wrong way, but you might want to learn more about electronics from somewhere other than a music recording class. www.howstuffworks.com is a great start and there's all sorts of other resources on the web if you want to teach yourself. You may be able to find a good book or two on the topic at a public library, too.

Anyway, according to Digitech (or at least their manual) the Whammy uses 9.75 volts AC (alternating current). So polarity won't be an issue. The huge ass box on the power cord is a transformer that steps down the voltage from 110 to 9.75 at 820 miliamps.

This is relatively rare. Usually these huge ass boxes (or wall warts like some people call them) not only step down the power from 110 to 18 volts or less, but they also typically convert it to DC (direct current). Most consumer electronics have DC running on the circuit boards. This includes laptops, desktops, LCD monitors, stereos, cordless power tools, etc. Some of these devices (like desktops) have the power supply (or adapter) inside. Usually if a device uses AC (like a glass TV, an alarm clock, or a lamp) then it has a regular power cord with no huge ass box. Because usually they use straight 110v without stepping it down.

A lot of Digitech and Line 6 products use low voltage AC.

Normally using a lower voltage DC power source won't hurt a device designed for higher voltage AC. Switch things around and you're almost guaranteed to blow something out. I don't have any experience with higher DC voltage in a lower voltage AC device, because that's so rare. The voltage probably matters more than AC vs DC.

The3rdMugician - are you sure it wasn't the 18v wall wart that blew out your Whammy? You're Whammy's adapter should either be PS750 or PS0913B.
Quote by jetwash69
Draind...don't take this the wrong way, but you might want to learn more about electronics from somewhere other than a music recording class. www.howstuffworks.com is a great start and there's all sorts of other resources on the web if you want to teach yourself. You may be able to find a good book or two on the topic at a public library, too.

none taken plus i took that class 2 years ago. some things may have slipped my mind hah
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150